Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 5500 watt portable backup genny. Run it for 30-60 minutes every month or so when I do the same for the onboard genny. I connect it to my motorhome and run an AC for a load. StaBil in the gas tank and the few 5 gallon cans of gas I keep on-hand.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Any time I am going to let a small engine sit with a tank of fuel, while running i shut off the fuel valve at the tank. And i just let the carb run its self dry I do NOT shut off the ignition.
shutting off the ignition leaves fuel in the carb and that is where you DON"T want fuel to sit/evaporate from.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does it need exercise: YES. all generators, in fact all Engines need to run from time to time.

What to do with the gas after exercising: Well if you use Sta-Bil or SeaFoam additive,, leave it in the tank (Just close the vent) till you next need it, do not forget to re-open the vent when you next exercise.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #18

I'm interested in the part of the question...."do you leave fuel in the generator?" Is it safe to store the generator in a 5th wheel storage area with gas in the tank? What about the unused gas you have stored in a gas can. Where do you store it when traveling?

Hope I didn't just steal this post????
weaverworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboPals View Post
I have a Honda 2000 generator that I haven't used, yet. After use, do I have to empty the gas and oil? If so, where do I dispose of it?
That depends... when will the generator be used next? The generator has a vented filler cap that can be closed. Therefore, fuel fumes are kept to a minimum, if any, when traveling. My Honda 2000 sits as long as a month and as short as a few days between uses all summer long. All I do is close the vent and put it away.
When I store it over the winter, I do as others have suggested and add Sta-bil to the fuel system, run it for a bit, shut it down and drain the fuel bowl as per the owners manual and finally, close the fuel vent on the cap.
Lastly, there is no reason to drain the engine oil before storing it unless your going to do this as part of an oil change. You don't want to fire up the generator in the spring and discover there was no engine oil in it. Usually you can take your used generator oil (less then 1/2 quart) to an auto parts store for recycling.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverworks View Post
I'm interested in the part of the question...."do you leave fuel in the generator?" Is it safe to store the generator in a 5th wheel storage area with gas in the tank? What about the unused gas you have stored in a gas can. Where do you store it when traveling?

Hope I didn't just steal this post????
I use the same generator as the OP and I have no problem storing it in a storage area ensuring the generator can't tip over. These Honda's use vented fuel caps that can be closed when not in use or traveling. To test this, I traveled to my destination, open up the storage area and smelled for fuel fumes. I was unable to detect any. Therefore, I considered it safe to do so. If fumes were present, then I would travel with the generator and the gas outside the RV. In your case, the pickup bed. This has worked well for me however, others may not agree.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Any time I am going to let a small engine sit with a tank of fuel, while running i shut off the fuel valve at the tank. And i just let the carb run its self dry I do NOT shut off the ignition.
shutting off the ignition leaves fuel in the carb and that is where you DON"T want fuel to sit/evaporate from.
Actually that does not use all the fuel in the carb. bowl, a small amount that is below the pickup tube remains. Boliy gensets have a small drain screw on the bottom of the float-bowl W/ a drain hose to outside the enclosure for that very reason.
Next time you let the carb"run dry", remove the float bowl and see what remains.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
More information! Thank you, everyone. One more (dumb) question-can I get ethanol free gas at any gas station? I'll have to look the next time I pull up-don't remember seeing a pump. Again, I appreciate all the information. Me thinks sometimes that most men are born knowing this stuff like my husband did, but women? Not so much.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #23

Quote:
I have a Honda 2000 generator that I haven't used, yet. Does it have to be exercised as the one we had in our large class A? After use, do I have to empty the gas and oil? If so, where do I dispose of it?
HoboPals
My advice is: Do whatever the Honda manual says!
Those are the ONLY RIGHT ways.
Disregard every/any opinion posted here, (if it is contrary to what is written in the manual).
IMO you can't go wrong if you do things right!

Most/(all?) Walmart auto service shops will take used oil, (without a charge), if it is brought to them in capped containers.
I took my used genset oil to a Walmart, in Yuna AZ, in a covered ice-cream bucket.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
HoboPals
My advice is: Do whatever the Honda manual says!
Those are the ONLY RIGHT ways.
Disregard every/any opinion posted here, (if it is contrary to what is written in the manual).
IMO you can't go wrong if you do things right!

Most/(all?) Walmart auto service shops will take used oil, (without a charge), if it is brought to them in capped containers.
I took my used genset oil to a Walmart, in Yuna AZ, in a covered ice-cream bucket.

Mel
'96 Safari
I don't have the manual. I don't know whether the guy took it out or it dropped out. He opened the box to show me that the generator was brand new. I guess I could write to Honda and ask for one. I think that's what I will do. Good to know about Walmart. I have one right near me. Thanks, Mel.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #25

Quote:
I don't have the manual. I don't know whether the guy took it out or it dropped out. He opened the box to show me that the generator was brand new. I guess I could write to Honda and ask for one. I think that's what I will do. Good to know about Walmart. I have one right near me. Thanks, Mel.
HoboPals
You bought a brand new generator from some GUY?

IMO, if you did not get the manual you bought a generator with one of the most important "parts" missing.

Try here:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...50500085,d.aWc
Mel
Old 08-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
HoboPals
You bought a brand new generator from some GUY?

IMO, if you did not get the manual you bought a generator with one of the most important "parts" missing.

Try here:
Yes. His apartment was full of generators--nothing else. He told me that he bought them because he could make money re-selling them in the event of a major weather event, i.e., tornado, in the south. He said people would pay a high price to have one when the stores ran out. We had a mild winter so I guess his plan (thank goodness) didn't work out as he thought. He said he needed some cash and was selling off a few of the smaller ones; 1000s and 2000s which is why he advertised on Craig's List.

I saw him open the box to show it to me. The box was not resealed. Either he put the manual aside or it dropped out then or as I was putting it in my truck. It is brand new. I just took another look and the box had never been re-stapled.

Thank you for the link for the manual. I'll be back to let you know if I got taken.

My daughter came in while I was writing. Since you had my curiosity peaked I asked her to give me a hand. (I haven't lifted it out of the box because of back problems and surgery.) I asked her if she'd help me get it out. I felt down the sides of the box looking for the manual when I first bought it a year ago and couldn't find the manual. Surprise! The generator was wrapped in plastic...the manual was underneath it inside the plastic along with the bag holding a DC cord.

The manual appears to be the same as the manual I downloaded except that mine has copyright 2001-2009 and the one I downloaded says copyright 2001-2006. I'm glad to have the downloaded copy as I can see it clearer. I have a lot to learn!

I want to read the manual with the generator in front of me before putting it in my truck. That way, I'll make sure everything is in order. Thank you, again, Mel and everyone. I needed that extra push just to get it out of the box and got the bonus of finding the cord and the manual. I didn't realize I'd be able to charge my trailer battery. I thought I'd be using it strictly by plugging the electric cord from the trailer into it, so that's a plus. I camp, sometimes, with a group of other women so I could charge their batteries if needed.

Again, thank you, everyone for your help. I apologize for such a long post.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:21 AM   #27

I agree with the post about following directions in manual.
Ethanol free gas is not usually available at gas stations in my neck of the woods. Someone once tried to tell me that 89 octane gas was ethanol free, but my research on the internet contradicted that thought. Some small engine tools come with directions to use 89 octane gas, and I found my lawn mower and boat motor do run better with 89 octane vs. 87 octane. The octane free gas that I mentioned would be found in places that sell string trimmers, blowers, snow blowers such as a John Deere or Stihl distributor. Again, the expensive fuel would be good for winter/long term storage. During the camping season, if you use the generator regurlarly, running with regular gas (with some Stabil, if you wish) should be fine. It's sitting for long periods of time that results in fuel line/carberator fouling which can be quite expensive to repair.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #28

Hobopals, you may safely use any gasoline by regularly using Stabil or other brand of gas stabilizer in your fuel container every time you refill. This eliminates any need to pour out remaining gas in the genset fuel tank, I say pour out because I've never seen a genset with a convenient drain valve on the fuel tank. As long as you start and run a genset, under load, for 30 minutes monthly, you should not experience any fuel system-related problems.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator