Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of places have the 10 year rule, but do not enforce it. It is a way to keep less than desirable RVs out of the park. When we had a vintage Silver streak and an Avion, I sent a couple of places a photo and that was sufficient for them. One "resort" north of Houston would only let my 1979 Silver Streak in if we came with a rally. By my self...no way.

One Rv we had became 10 years old and instead of a 2004 model, it became a 2005 and the next year it was a 2006. Most of the places do not have a clue as to the age of an RV.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #16

I think (and this is a generalization) most facilities with a 10 year rule are what we normally call "RV Resorts". They have more amenities than what we think of as an "RV Park". The RV Resorts have a certain "look and feel" that they are trying to maintain ... as private enterprises, they have that right. Basically, it's a similar concept to a deed restricted community.

I'm not particularly interested in the additional amenities so I don't use RV Resorts. So, the rule doesn't really affect me. I don't go where I'm not welcome and I don't want to be there ... works for both parties.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #17

I think most parks with the 10 year rule will allow older with a photo. The thing that has always been interesting to me is that they don't ask about the age of the TV.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Parks come in a few different types.

I have had several parks ask the age of my rig,, Some will not allow you in if your rig is over 10 years old, some 8, (mine at the time was less than one), I figured these parks were so busy they had to turn away customers.. Myself included, and thus I parked elsewhere.

The remaining parks,, Want business and thus do not turn you away.

I have seen far too many rigs that were not 10, but in some cases 20,30 or more years old, Loveingly cared for or restored, look like they were on the showroom floor a week after manufacturer.. but they get turned away because these beautiful rigs are over 10 years old.

The parks justification is they do not want a duct-tape special on their lot (more duct tape than original siding) However they can deal with that on an individual bases and not just blanket discriminate due to age if they want business.

Thus I assume if a park says "No rigs over xx years old" they have more business than they need and I park elsewhere.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:24 AM   #19

So how about a sun-beaten 6 yr old rig in average repair with faded/peeling decals? Do they also have a provision to exclude these rigs?
Old 02-07-2014, 07:32 AM   #20
laj

they really don't want these bottom end ones either. their trying to maintain a certain image and I don't blame them. I have moved on as well as others from some parks because of this trashy look.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were staying a nice private RV park west of Shreveport, LA. It was formally a KOA. After the office closed a trailer with construction workers came in and set up...very noisy and late. The RV had duct tape holding things on, a black garbage taped over a locker hole as the door must have been missing, steps bent back and a old wood box for the step, awning partially folded, partially ripped off.

The owner/manager of the campground was around early looking at the rig. I talked with him about the noise and he was not happy with the rig. They told him it was 10 years old when they called. The trailer occupants came back around noon and found a note taped to the door. They were kicked out of the campground.

The owner said he had not problems with older rigs as long as they were maintained and looked good. At the time we had the 1989 Avion which he had no problem with.

But if the campground is going to blindly enforce the "10 Year" rule and never consider the actual condition of the rig, well, I'll just spend my money some place else.

Ken
Old 02-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #22

It would seem to me that a 1995 Newell would be let in anywhere, after all a million dollar bus does look quite different than an old Winnebago box.I agree with the posters who think that it is all about condition regardless of age........For me its always been rare that we stay anywhere where you pay to park. We all have out favorite exceptions but it is nice that if you want to depart at 3;00 am and not have to fuss with hook ups and stuff Wally World may still be the best choice. In years past i always had a tri axle enclosed trailer and was 78 feet long, not many "parks" can handle that as it would have to be a pull thru anyway. There were a few , we always circled them on our map.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
they really don't want these bottom end ones either. their trying to maintain a certain image and I don't blame them. I have moved on as well as others from some parks because of this trashy look.
Just to play devils advocate. There are bottom end rigs in very good repair. Just because someone has a high end unit doesn't mean they take care of it. I know someone who likes to think of theirselves as "Fab-u-lous". They drive a newer 3-series. Bottom of the line. I think most bimmer fans will recognize it versus say an M3. They like wearing "Faux" fur. Yes it's a bimmer and leased (not too old) but they don't really do anything to take care of it (constantly cutting off other vehicles, parking anywhere (lots of dings). If this person had a coach it would be new, from a "luxury" brand but I can guarantee it would have the illusions of all the trappings but would not be in good repair nor would it be the actual substance of luxury.

Would their coach be any better then most people's normal brand but maintained and optioned up unit?

Yes the 10-yr rule can be enforced for appearances but there are many tangibles aside from brand and age that go into if a coach is "good" or "bad" and are posers really going to fit in with those who truly have the opulent units? Do they really have the resources and means to fit it?
Old 02-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #24
laj

I don't think that matters if the cg owners have spent their money, taken the risk and want only newer than 10 yr. old rigs, then people should have the integrity to respect that period. u see it as the same thing about any age limit rule. would you lie or beg to get into a bar that age limit is 21, or a movie that says 17 and above without parent? one should respect the owners wishes. if they make it, then their dream has succeeded.
if not, only they pay the price. jmo.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #25

You have received quite a few responses so you can see that the actual answer varies by user experience. I have been in several 10 years or less parks that enforce that rule including the current one I am parked at who just refused a person showing up. This park is not by any means a "resort" park, it's $370 a month and has many full-timers but all of the RV's are in good shape (sans one that is a little iffy).

The owner told me that he wants nice looking rigs and no riff-raff and makes exceptions when the person tells them the correct age and sends a pic of the rig. He tossed the last guy out because he lied to him and claimed his rig was 9 years old when it looked at least 15 with some hard use.

I have noticed that the ten year or younger rule seems to be enforced more west of the Mississippi, YMMV.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #26

It could be a courtesy thing.....the price per night could be high and might be a shock. This is the reason some highend restaurants post the menu outside the front door. It's just how you take the info, don't make it a personal attack. This has came up before and it goes both ways on how it's perceived.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #27
laj

I don't care what a parks rules are. if I don't like one or several I just move on. but if they are listed I expect them to be followed and enforced. all of them no exceptions as that is the criteria when I rented a space.