Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #1

Does anybody else find this kinda funny?

Hello,
This weekend my family and I will be camping at a local campground, and as I was thinking about spending 60$ to camp there for 2 nights, and feeling a little frustrated about it when I suddenly chuckled, I think it is a little funny that I make a payment on my motorhome every month, I don't even think twice when I put $150 worth of gas in it, but I let myself get upset to spend money on a place to camp! After thinking of it that way I quickly got over it. Has anybody else ever found themselves in situation like this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #2

I say that because I refuse to pay for "expensive" campgrounds, I can afford to go motorhoming.

$150 gas. I wish.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Oh all the time. I'm a cheapskate with how much I'll pay to camp, I wear out state parks and COE campgrounds.

Then, last trip when discussion of how much vacation camping fees was going to be later this year and it hit me just as it did you. I'm laying out XXX in payment, XX in insurance every month, it costs me 40 cents a mile to tow the thing. In fact it will cost me more to tow it one way there than it will to camp for a week and I fret about $140 in nightly fees for a week.

So no, you're far from alone.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
Does anybody else find this kinda funny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
Oh all the time. I'm a cheapskate with how much I'll pay to camp, I wear out state parks and COE campgrounds.

Then, last trip when discussion of how much vacation camping fees was going to be later this year and it hit me just as it did you. I'm laying out XXX in payment, XX in insurance every month, it costs me 40 cents a mile to tow the thing. In fact it will cost me more to tow it one way there than it will to camp for a week and I fret about $140 in nightly fees for a week.

So no, you're far from alone.

I agree with the COE, State Parks, National Parks, etc, and many are as nice as the more costly ones. You can save a bundle by using the senior discount as well.

And (sknight, simply as a coincidence here) if you go a bit slower (60 to 65 vs 70 to 75) you will save enough in fuel going 400 to 500 miles to almost pay for that nights camp site...

Ted
Old 08-07-2014, 11:46 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
And (sknight, simply as a coincidence here) if you go a bit slower (60 to 65 vs 70 to 75) you will save enough in fuel going 400 to 500 miles to almost pay for that nights camp site...

Ted
I'm glad you're talking to me.

I haven't had a chance to do much in fuel mileage runs with the new 5er, but I experimented with my TT. I hope to have fresh data soon, I know I will come September.

With the TT I got 10.8 at 60, 10 even at 65. 55 netted 11. Now for the kicker. 65 is 1900 on the tach. Back in the early days I did a 100 mile run at 70MPH which is just over 2000 on the tach. Care to guess? How does 7.5MPG hit you? I was simply shocked. I tried another 50 miles. Same result. I guess the engine starts pouring the coals to it after 2000RPM.

I've done two mileage tests so far with the 5er. The first was flawed, traffic, more city stop and go miles than allowable for a highway mileage test but I still netted 10.3MPG. The second time was open highway, I ran 65 and got 11.2MPG. The 5er is two feet taller, six feet longer overall and 5,000lbs heavier. But the aerodynamic nose and the slick sides compared to the rippled aluminum siding brick of a TT makes all the difference. Least that's the hope.

It's in for service 80 miles away right now, when I go get her in three weeks (Ready or not I warned the service writer.) I'm going to top it up and pull her home at 60 to see what that nets.

When I go on vacation it's 250 miles to the CG, I'm thinking of making 75 mile fuel runs at various speeds (Up to 65. If I got 7.5MPG before I'd hate to see what happens with the 5er.) to see what comes up. I'll be going alone so it won't irritate anyone either.

But honestly, I'll just be happy to be going on vacation. To a primitive CG where my cellphone won't work. I'll drive into town every afternoon, check my messages, return urgent phone calls and then go back to peace and quiet.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:28 AM   #6

We can't do much about most of the costs of motorhoming but can have a say in the nightly cost, so I guess that is why we fixate on it. Trouble comes when we drive 15 miles each way to book into a park that is only $10 cheaper. Hard to stop that sort of lunacy even when the math is quite clear.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
That's why I take advantage of discount camping clubs. I have Passport America, Good Sam, and Escapees. My savings FAR exceed the cost of having these!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #8

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
I'm glad you're talking to me.

Same!

Well, all I was saying is that if you are able to save 1.5 miles per gallon over 400 miles, you may be able to pay for your camp sight simply by paying less for fuel.

Just hypothetically, let's say you get 6.5 miles per gallon at 70 to 75 mph, but simply by slowing down to 60 to 65 mph you get 8 miles per gallon. This is not hypothetical for me. It is reality.

400 miles at 6.5 miles per gallon is 61.5 gallons. If you pay $3.50 per gallon it would cost $215.25.
400 miles at 8.0 miles per gallon is 50.0 gallons. If you pay $3.50 per gallon it would cost $175.00.

Therefore, in this example you would save $40.25, driving the same distance.

That would be enough to pay for a COE site and go out to eat... LOL

Ted
Old 08-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
To answer your question: It is VERY common for us to gripe about the cost of campgrounds, yet ignore the coast of the RV , gas, insurance, etc.

Human nature I guess. As a group, this many of us cannot be frugal or cheapskates, as we would not have started this hobby in the first place!
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #10

Yep, and related, I always thought it funny when some people would drive 5 miles out of their way to put gas in their car, just because the other station advertised .05/gal cheaper!

And this is a CAR which barely holds 12 gallons......so if they were bone dry they would save 60 cents ! Not worth the effort to drive 10 miles round-trip !

I wouldn't do it even if buying 100 gallons - to save $5 ? No way.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #11

$60 for 2 nights, never would give it a second thought, wish I could find those campgrounds. When it is $60 a night and above is when I stop to think. Usually the thought is, if I pay this will I have to do one less trip this year and is it worth it. We were seasonal for 11 years and the fees were over $3,000 a year when we left so we throw out a ballpark figure of $2,000 a year in camping fees and think we are saving money if we are able to be close to that number. Also, it is generally $100 for gas or so and if I have enough gas to get to work Monday then that is another win.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we were full-timing, we would try to save on campground fees by joining camping clubs; Escapees, Coast to Coast, Good Sam, etc. By staying at affiliated campgrounds with reduced rates, we were able to "splurge" at more expensive campgrounds when we got the urge. Also, some of Florida's upscale campgrounds/resorts that are near or on the water, can be less expensive on the "off season" summer months, and late spring or early fall. We now utilize the same strategy in order to justify (rationalize) our annual pilgrimage to Disney's Ft. Wilderness in December.

Bronk
Old 08-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here in the Northeast I find the State and other public campgrounds are nicer than the more expensive private campgrounds. Many of the public campgrounds actually have trees between sites. A couple of our favorites you can't even see the other sites from yours. Most of the private ones I've seen look like broken down trailer parks with sites too close to each other. We are heading back to the Adirondacks in a week and 8 days split between two different State campgrounds cost me less than $19/day.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a poster on the forum whose signature says something like, "an RVer is someone who drives a $300k motorhome, towing a $45,000 car, looking for a free place to park." That pretty much sums it up.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote