Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Does anyone else have trouble meeting those blue headlights?

I just finished driving a couple of hours tonight in my pickup truck. I feel like I have had a hundred cameras flashing in my face all evening.

I have excellent vision, and to date I have no problems driving at night.

Until recently.

I simply can't stand meeting those blue headlights! They absolutely blind me! Then there's that one guy that refuses to dim his lights until he's practically beside me.

Near the end of the trip, each time I met those blue headlights, I had to slow down and hug up next to the shoulder until the vehicle passed by.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't like them either. I guess I have learned to deal with them about the same way you do. I thought part of the problem might be my older eyes.

I still drive at night without a problem, but I go slower, especially with the poor headlights on my MH.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh yeah. Those blue tint lights are the worst...and often illegal aftermarket bulbs.

I got some light amber glasses to cut the glare.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #4

I will add to your complaint the jerks that drive around in the city with their driving lights on. Some of these don't really illuminate anything; their users are just poseurs. Other driving lights are excessively bright, and many have no upper beam cut-off. To add fuel to the fire, some people in my location just leave their headlights off, and drive with only driving lights on. I guess this is "cool"...

I read somewhere the NHTSA has many thousands of complaints about the new projector beam headlights, and the "flinch" reflex when the narrow beam crosses one's vision. I'm sure these lights are great when one is behind the wheel, but I absolutely hate having to look at them.

Rant over, return to regularly scheduled programming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I just finished driving a couple of hours tonight in my pickup truck. I feel like I have had a hundred cameras flashing in my face all evening.

I have excellent vision, and to date I have no problems driving at night.

Until recently.

I simply can't stand meeting those blue headlights! They absolutely blind me! Then there's that one guy that refuses to dim his lights until he's practically beside me.

Near the end of the trip, each time I met those blue headlights, I had to slow down and hug up next to the shoulder until the vehicle passed by.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Jim
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:08 AM   #5

http://tinyurl.com/3u6xvbl

Good info on night driving glasses. Be sure to read the comments too.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been known to give them my hi-beams a few times
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Outlaw them.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Outlaw them.
X 2!
Old 11-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #9

I drive at night for a living,,, and I HATE them !!! Mostly in cars and trucks,,, but had a newer DP rv follow me for a while last night,,, VERY Irritating !!!! They caught me real quick,, then decided to stay behind me... GEEZ,,, Go on around.....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #10

They really bother me. Lately some big rigs are using them. They mess up my night vision. Ban them.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: In some areas blue headlights may not be legal.. (I do know why and where but confidence in the where is not 100% so I won't post).

Why is because emergency services use blue lights in those areas, or at least did.

IF the lights are properly aimed and are low-beam they should not bother you, if they do the advice for an approaching car with high beams on is to look down and to the right (Right lane line/shoulder) till they pass. Wish I could give you more but I'm partially color blind so though I know they are blue... Well, that is one color I do not see well. Very pastel to me and not all that bright.

There used to be a anti-glair clip on for my glasss Blu-Blocker.. was the brand,, I have a pair of those. Can not recommend for night use but there is anti-glare coating on my glasses as well that may be why they do not bother me.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #12

Then add the punks who jack their pu trucks up high and do it wrong so lights are now higher than legal the low beam is pointing upward a bit because the ride adjustment is trashed. (Original term not used to retain g rating)
Old 11-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with all. What ever happened to the standards for auto safety. Some of the new vehicles have the worst lighting ever on vehicles and no one seems to hold them to any standards. These guys that jack their trucks up and then put these lights on them should be put off the road. Alot of trucks pulling RV trailers are bad for headlights in the air as well. At least most of them are not out at night.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
What needs to be outlawed are the super reflective road signs that blind you and kill your night vision.

Tags
lights