Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2015, 06:16 AM   #1

Does anyone take a second vehicle along when camping?

Does anyone take a second vehicle along when camping? We will be going on a month long trip from Florida to Utah this summer. My DW wants to take her car and follow me in TV and TT. We have just the two of us along with 2 cats and a dog. She says it will be easier to transport the cats with her and have a comfortable vehicle for site seeing. I don't know what to think except that it will increase the cost of the trip could be more difficult getting through traffic in larger cities.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 06:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPlant View Post
Does anyone take a second vehicle along when camping? We will be going on a month long trip from Florida to Utah this summer. My DW wants to take her car and follow me in TV and TT. We have just the two of us along with 2 cats and a dog. She says it will be easier to transport the cats with her and have a comfortable vehicle for site seeing. I don't know what to think except that it will increase the cost of the trip could be more difficult getting through traffic in larger cities.
Just you and her, I think she doesn't like your driving.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:27 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If we where to go on a trip and the rig would not have a toad, or trailer (for bikes) attached it would probably wonder if we are trading her in.

Now your situation is a little different, so you may want to look at the car rental option. Depending on where you are going you should be able to rent a car for a day/week when needed.
Good luck
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:33 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Short trips maybe, long haul you are looking at radios to stay in communication, getting separated in urban areas, higher cost for fuel etc.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #5
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
If you know that you are going to stay in one location for a while, a rental car may be the better option. We did that down in Key West before we got a toad. Check with Enterprise, as they seem to be very flexible and may even have a discount if you have to rent a car in several locations during your trip.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #6

My DW can't (read:I won't let her) drive MY truck, so if we go someplace where she might want to do some running around by herself, she brings her car. We will be taking our golf cart with us to Lake George this summer, so she will be towing it anyways.

She enjoys driving her car, so she doesn't mind driving it from time to time.

Bruce
Old 05-09-2015, 07:30 AM   #7

Just made the Fl. > Mi. trek for the summer. Regarding your question, twice on this trip, when in rest areas, I saw cars pull in behind a rig being towed. One was a TT, the other a 5er. Regarding communication between you, phones would work fine?
Old 05-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #8

Phones dependent on coverage of networks.

Two way radios cheao and work well.

Use both.

If free minutes on phones and both blue tooth headset and coverage good with need for conversation use phones but if middle of nowhere and within range and communication needed two way radio.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #9

I always have my Piaggio Fly 150 hanging on the stern, very handy for us.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #10

We have the tow vehicle and a Polaris RZR800EPS in the back, so technically we have two vehicles.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #11

The only problem I would see is where are you going to park the second car when you get to a CG. You will now have a TT, your tow vehicle and car all on one spot, which is very hard to fit and should not be blocking others access.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
We don't do it often but next month we'll make a short trip to Roswell for the Sr. Olympics talent contest, and will need a car to transport the Roady Equipment for DW's act to and from the venue. So she will drive the car and I'll drive the Coach. We use something like these Amazon.com : Portable Digital Wrist Watch Walkie Talkie Two-Way Radio for Outdoor Sport Hiking, 462MHZ, black, 2pcs : Electronics "cool gismos...."Go Go Gomez" to keep in touch. The range is good enough as long as we have a pre planned rest stop to tag up at if we get separated. Gotta love the GPS gear in each vehicle to know where someone will be when they catch up.

A car on a trip isn't much to ask in return for all she does for me

Dick
Old 05-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #13

That's a big expense for the dog and cats! What would be different than riding in the tow vehicle? I would say 'no'.

It will make for a more pleasant trip if you share it together. Share the driving and you'll both be more relaxed and you'll both be able to view the scenery more.

If you go to national parks you'll have to pay two entrance fees even though you're traveling together. You'll also have to get a bigger campsite to park everything.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #14

We have a crew cab long box pickup for a tow vehicle. It is a pain to get around with when we are sight seeing. Wife said she wished we could have something smaller. Here was my solution. We get a toy hauler and buy a smart car or a something like a Chevy spark. Load it up in the toy hauler. When we go sight seeing just take that. She said the truck is a pain but she don't want to drive around in a little POS either. LOL She never likes my ideas.

jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping