Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #29

Seen a few things drive away that shouldn't have so far, fortunately we haven't been bit yet.

I walk around after hooking up.

Pull forward to pull chocks, walk around again.

Pull to first stop sign, walk around again, just to be sure.

Watch mirrors like crazy for first 10 minutes, just in case....
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #30

We have a checklist...somewhere...LOL Actually, we've used it so many times, I don't bother to look at it anymore. We BOTH do a walk around/over/under at least once each. If I say the jacks are up, he checks & vice versa. He has his pilot's license, so double & triple checking is ingrained, but that's his nature anyway. He's known as "triple check".
Old 03-29-2018, 10:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
As a former flight instructor, I'm used to checklists and use then every time we set up, or break camp. I have one for the MH and one for the toad. Leaving all that stuff hooked up is a special kind of stupid.
Thats putting it lightly, I'd say, (dangerously stupid), like the same type of person who drives off from the gas station with the hose still in the fill tube, oblivious as to why people are looking at them.

Check your list, then check it twice, as old saint Nick would say.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #32

People who don't complete a walk around or two won't use a check list to help them set up or break down. I also am a retired Army helicopter flight instructor and the use of check lists is mandatory, ingrained in the use of equipment. Some people are too stupid or arrogant to use something as simple as consistent procedures.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:37 AM   #33

Was in one park where they broke the water pulling out.When stopped and told they had to pay for the repair they started to leave.The owner explained that his buddy the sheriff would probably stop them a couple blocks away.They agreed to pay.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:05 PM   #34

Someone made the comment about this happening often but boil orders aren't the norm. This was the first time a boil order was issued. I guess the pipe broke below ground and contaminated the water. The RV park issued a boil order just as a precaution I believe. The next day it was lifted.
Dmrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I have a wife that does the walk-around several times before/after I drive out. She has saved us a lot of grief due to my stupidity/forgetfulness several times...
Me, too. Makes up for anything missed on my "mental checklist".
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:52 AM   #36

Does this happen often?

In six years on the road I have only seen a few mistakes.

Power cord trailing a MH leaving Rayford Crossing. Forgot to unplug.

Antennae up while pulling out. I yelled at the guy. He heard and stopped.

Class C pulling a jeep. Rear wheels locked up while he was leaving. He had left the transfer case in 2h. Yelled at the guy. He stopped.

Prevost in Shreveport took out a electric pedestal while backing in.

KOA in SLC. Fifth wheel took out a Class A’s side mirror while pulling into his pull through. His rear swing nailed it. Guy never heard it happen.

KOA in SLC. Class A was relocating (I think). Driving through the park with his main slide out. Yikes!
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:00 AM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
Boondocking does have its advantages , no hookups . Just have to remember to put the jacks up and roll up the awning. I always hang the keys from the antenna crank . It's one thing that you don't always catch on a walk around. It should have a warning light on the dash ,just like the jacks.
Present rig doesn't have jacks, just air leveling. Awnings are all electric and remote control, water and electric have electric rewind. Unfortunately no trunk monkey for the sewer hose although the SaniCon is pretty easy to use. I do have lights that show when the antennas are up but they're not on the dash.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:09 AM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Water hoses, Electric cords, Awnings and Antennas. Many folks forget 'em

On my RV I've forgotten the awning once (it is supposed to self-retract when I fire up engine) no damage
The power cord once (I fixed it)
And steps (likewise supposed to self retract but do not) a few times.

Awning is now tied retracted, I'm not needing it any more
Antenna has a "Reminder" attached to the steering wheel
Steps have a sensor and indicator light
And the rest I do a final walk around.