Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #1

Does your rig have a "winter" package?

Hello All:

I'm wondering if any other RV manufacturer has a "name" for their winterizing package (for Classes A and C at least). Forest River calls theirs the "arctic package" so that's easy to search for, but of course it only applies to Forest River rigs that I know of.

I know it (for FR at least) includes a heated area for the holding tanks so they won't freeze. You'd think in theory it would have extra insulation or something too but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what other companies call it (if anyone else does have such a thing) so I can add those to my search parameters.

If I do make this happen, I will be spending time in some frigid areas (think MN, Chicago and Boston) in the dead of winter so having the coach ready for freezing temps and winter precip will matter.

Many thanks in advance!

Michelle
THTRMGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Michelle, you've got it backwards! You need to go to MN, Chicago, and Boston in the summer and south in the winter!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:29 PM   #3

Enclosed holding tanks is good but you'll need to run the furnace to get heat into the area.

Extra insulation and double pane windows are what I'd look for and especially the windows, many companies put them as an option for an extra cost.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:34 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Two important things you need to think of are: 1. filling your fresh water tank in freezing weather and 2. dumping your holding tank. You will have to extra caution and preparation to do both of these.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:54 AM   #5

Any time someone plans to take a RV into conditions where temperatures will drop below freezing, extra preparation need to be taken. My coach comes with duel pane windows, heated wet bay areas and normally those are good down to 24 degrees +-. But when it drops below that I need to argument the heat using 75 watt light bulbs. They will allow us to camp with temperatures down to 18. Below that I use a 1500 watt heater making sure the heat is not directed onto any plastic items, but is dispersed in and around the bay.

A big problem to consider is internal moisture. You will need a dehumidifier to control the buildup. Once we were camping in -5 degree temperatures, and in the morning the moisture had frozen to the walls making it look like it had snowed inside.

I also recommend using several indoor/outdoor remote thermometers to monitor the tank area temperatures.

Also have a plan for escape just incase you loose electricity.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:06 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Finding a campground open will be impossible. Without that dumping and utilities will be a major problem. You will need lots of electric and propane to have any hope of being warm and freeze safe. Humidity control will be extremely difficult inside the unit. As you seal it up moisture will accumulate. In my own experience, humidity may be the biggest problem for extended stays in an rv. Driving and parking from one place to another may be a very unsafe proposition.

Staying a few days in such cold is possible, any longer than that extremely difficult. BTW, I spent 10 years living year round in Northern MN north of Duluth. Salesmen will tell you what you want to hear, but actually staying in any rv in extreme cold has huge problems no matter what "artic or winter" package the unit has.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
My coach does not have any winter package. I did fine in Chicago with temps down to 15 below 0. I put a 100 watt bulb in the sewer compartment,a 1500 watt heater in the basement. Kept water tank full. My frig wouldn't work in those temps. I bought a electric residential frig that worked great and had more room in it. I didn't have any moisture problem.Kept sewer hose in basement,so no problem dumping. I have a heated water hose to feed water to the coach.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You won't find a "winter package" by any name on most higher end brands, because better grade insulation and such is standard equipment. You find the winter package terminology on rigs designed for a low price point and light duty summertime use only. They charge extra for putting in what is standard on higher priced rigs.

If you key your search only to terms like 'Arctic package', you are going to miss some excellent rigs. You may have to hunt for information on their standard construction, e.g. R-value numbers, dual pane glass, enclosed tanks, basement heat, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:18 AM   #9

Search "four season" "full timer"
MH's are not as popular or suited for very cold climates as would be some trailers.
We've had a couple four season trailers and have wintered in MT. It's no fun wintering in -16F but it can be done. Those folks do it in ND on the oil fields.
You'll also need to have a LPG supplier set a 100 Gal. tank for you.
typically the basement has furnace air to it, heat pads under the holding tanks, heat strips on the elbows and drain valves. Prodex insulation for windows and vents, heated hoses, underpinning. Condensation & moisture is a problem!
Not many CG have infrastructure to support water hook ups active without pre-arrangements.

Best of luck.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:57 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
MH's are not as popular or suited for very cold climates as would be some trailers.
Curious why you say a motorhome is "not suited". Enclosed tanks and heated basements, for example, are more common in motorhomes than trailers. Especially in Class A's.

You are probably right about the popularity, though. Motorhome owners use that motor to drive south.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Curious why you say a motorhome is "not suited". Enclosed tanks and heated basements, for example, are more common in motorhomes than trailers. Especially in Class A's.

You are probably right about the popularity, though. Motorhome owners use that motor to drive south.
If you drive south, how do you snow ski? (2016 Canaan Valley State Park, West Virginia, 12 degrees outside)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160129_090559.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	143425   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160127_160924 1024 x 768.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	143426  

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
If you drive south, how do you snow ski? (2016 Canaan Valley State Park, West Virginia, 12 degrees outside)

Yikes!!!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:49 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by THTRMGR View Post
Hello All:

I'm wondering if any other RV manufacturer has a "name" for their winterizing package (for Classes A and C at least). Forest River calls theirs the "arctic package" so that's easy to search for, but of course it only applies to Forest River rigs that I know of.

I know it (for FR at least) includes a heated area for the holding tanks so they won't freeze. You'd think in theory it would have extra insulation or something too but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what other companies call it (if anyone else does have such a thing) so I can add those to my search parameters.

If I do make this happen, I will be spending time in some frigid areas (think MN, Chicago and Boston) in the dead of winter so having the coach ready for freezing temps and winter precip will matter.

Many thanks in advance!

Michelle

Hi Michelle, I started a thread also will the real Fourseason travel trailer please stand up.

I learned doing extensive research that so many companies want you to read catchy phrases and have you perceive that they are proper Fourseason trailers, but that is not the case. They also want you to believe that you get R 15 from foil faced products, but that is not the case. They want you to read that they've enclosed the underbelly and therefore you're protected, but that is not the case. I think you'll find that the companies that are willing to say exactly what they've done to make this a Fourseason camper i.e.:we put R 14 fiberglass insulation in the ceiling or they're willing to say they have a norcold package protecting the refrigerator. If they have actually done something it should be marketable and therefore they will proclaim it if you don't see it in writing, don't try to perceive it! I really became suspect when reading one company saying they had R57 in their roof, with an Asterix next to it in a special notation as rated at 80°F. In other words the foil faced material reflected the sun off of the camper it doesn't help keep you warm though.

When you get down to it if you're in the trailer market you'll end up looking at Northwood manufacturing or outdoors RV manufacturing. We've decided that there are several outdoors RV manufacturing trailers that meet our expectations. The nearest dealer however is 1500 miles away
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #14

Winterize the water system with antifreeze and use the campground bath house. Get a couple of small space heaters from Walmart and use the campground electricity. As soon as the roads clear enough, head South.

Tags
winter