Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Wow that is a cheap shot, just because we bought new doesn't mean we, or others, are "financially irresponsible". I.
Just kidd'n, if you bought new you're likely very financially responsible to be in a position to buy new.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Just kidd'n, if you bought new you're likely very financially responsible to be in a position to buy new.
Ok, I thought you might be kidding. I've seen a lot of your posts and you always seem like a decent guy in your responses, and we usually think a lot alike...take care.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #31

I really don't see an issue with this "rule"... It's sad to think the first place everyone goes to is "its an economic issue".. when in all likelihood.. I would suspect the owner is trying to protect against eviction laws..

I'm sadden that people automatically go to the lowest common denominator with their initial reactions.. I would hope we'd give people the benefit of the doubt... However, I suppose each argument has merit..

Bottom line.. We've all had neighbors we didn't want.. lots on here have mentioned they would like the managers/owners to be better at enforcing the rules against "people like that".. but now that an owner is actually doing something to protect YOUR stay... you condemn them...

I think, whether you're rig is 2 days, or twenty years.. we all want the same experience while camping... don't knock an owner until you've been on his side of the fence.. I know my experience while owning a business was full of challenges I never expected.. I always thought people would treat me as fairly as I was treating them.. unfortunately, that is not always the case.. I was forced to make "rules" or policies to benefit me and my GOOD customers... didn't make everyone happy.. but it sure made my life easier..

So.. in the end.. as someone said.. My money, my rules... Completely agree.. but before you judge a business on ONE rule.. why don't you give that campground/owner the benefit of the doubt.. maybe if you do.. it will help drive the unwanted element out and will produce a much more enjoyable camping experience for all of us..

Just a thought !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #32

A park in Sparks Nevada has that rule... We've stayed there many times and saw plenty of RV's older than 10 years... Doesn't seem like a problem has ever occurred while we've stayed there... It's an awful nice park too... If you ever come through Sparks, you won't be disappointed if you stay there...
Gunk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Often when we travel we look for low cost RV parks (Passport America for one) and in some of those parks there are some real old non moveable RV's, the ones with several barking dogs, lots of good stuff stored under and/or near the RV. Most often those RV's are much more than 10 years old. So I'd think it OK for the RV park ownership to have restrictions on age of RV's and duration of stay. I should also add that many (Passport America) parks are very nice. Kind of where RV Park reviews comes in handy when selecting a place to stay. I think RV age limit not worth getting excited or disturbed about. But that's just my opinion.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:06 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
We just got back from a road trip. We were asked (for the first time) what the brand name and model of our rv was. We thought "wow must be a fancy schmancy place! One of 'those' parks" We booked one night. I seriously thought the place would be well manicured, nice large sites... well the reviews were good... The entrance looked great, the registration house was nice and clean.. and the sites... well..... They were tight, lots of 'seasonal -haven't moved in years- rvs all over' So I still can't figure out why they needed to know what we were driving.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:24 PM   #35

Whenever we travel to a new town or general area, we always take an afternoon and drive around the other RV parks in the area to see if there is another park we would like to stay if we were to ever come back. We record it in a log book and rate the parks on a 1-10 basis.

Parks with lots of older / trashy RVs usually automatically get crossed off the list. Its just been our personal experience that the people who dont take care of their rig aren't people we like to spend much time around.

Now that is not to say that older automatically equals junky. We have seen lots of older rigs that are well maintained, its just that we've found that the majority of older rigs aren't in that category.

I can't fault a park for setting an age restriction and then looking at older rigs on a case by case basis.
ResidentEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:49 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Wow that is a cheap shot, just because we bought new doesn't mean we, or others, are "financially irresponsible". I bought new because that's what I wanted, and I'll match my financial responsibility against anyone's, and that is probably why we were able to buy new, but that is another topic.

As to the rule, I really believe that is so they can keep the riff/raff out, and not be told they are violating anyone's right's. It's all how you take care of your stuff, I have seen a lot of rigs that are 15-20 years old and still look like new, that's pride of ownership. But then you see those MH's that shouldn't even be on the road, then they park next to you and of course everything leaks, because they don't take care of it. We have had that happen with their sewer rolling under our MH. We had to move and the CG owner was trying to get them out but they had paid for two weeks. Now you have a problem and no way to get them out. It was resolved but why should the owner even of had to deal with it. I'm sure if he had the photo prior he would have never been let them in to begin with. I guess that's the beauty of ownership, you get to make the rules. My bet is most people who are on this forum would have a problem getting in if they sent them a photo of their rig.
I think just the opposite, most people on this forum would easily get in if they sent a pic of their older rigs. Just being on this forum shows you care and are willing to do what it takes to keep your RV in top shape.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
I think just the opposite, most people on this forum would easily get in if they sent a pic of their older rigs. Just being on this forum shows you care and are willing to do what it takes to keep your RV in top shape.
Sorry that was a typo....I meant to say that I would bet that most people on this forum would have NO problem getting into the CG if they sent a photo of their MH to them. I had to read my post twice to see what you disagreed with as I was trying to be positive, then I saw that I didn't put NO in there. I'm really surprised it went this long before someone saw the mistake. I really feel that people who frequent IRV2 most likely keep above average care of their RV's, why else would they have the interest in reading the threads. Sorry about that.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:32 PM   #38

This subject seems to come up a couple of times a year... and this time it happened to come up when I've just returned from Disney's Fort Wilderness campground.

This is significant because it brings into sharp contrast how Fort Wilderness is run, and how other campgrounds are run.

My coach is now 23 years old. When I pulled into Fort Wilderness, there were no questions about the age of my coach. There were no long list of rules to read. I pulled up to a waiting cast member, told her the office had already text me my campsite number. She asked if I had any questions. I said "no". She said... "Have a Magical time!" I drove to my campsite.

Now Fort Wilderness processes probably tens of thousands of campers every year. How can they manage to do it without all the rules... including the 10 year rule, that others seem to cling to so tightly.

I've come to the conclusion that the long list of rules... including the 10 year rule, is just an excuse for lazy management. It seems easier to paint everyone with a broad "rules" brush than it is to handle problems as they arise (which is what Fort Wilderness does).

... and here's a thought. How many times have you checked into a hotel and they ask you how old your car is?

Just thinking.

Vtwinwilly
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote