Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2016, 07:57 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Plus/minus 5% is the tolerance on most any pressure gauge other than laboratory grade equipment. 4 psi on a tire that is probably in the 100 psi range is within that spec.
I am surprised at how many folks don't really care how accurate their system is...for the money that it cost.

Now, from the TST FAQ page, they say:

The system reports in PSI, KPa, Fahrenheit, or Celsius at the discretion of the system owner. The system is accurate to 0.73+/- PSI.

So what they advertise is a pretty accurate system.

When I invest $350 for a TPMS (10 sensors) which advertises better than 1 psi accuracy, I expect it to be correct.

Guess I am picky because I am a tools guy, and I expect my tools to work well. And I am lazy, I want to turn on the TPMS and know if I need to add any air or if there is a slow leak without getting out of the coach and spilling my coffee.

ON a side note, these sensors actually send a coded voltage reading to the display head. The firmware inside the display converts that number to a reading based on what the user selected (PSI or Kpa). This explains why all of the senors read low by the same amount, the display unit is not doing the conversion correctly.

I will let you know what I learn from TST.

Regards,

Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 09:41 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We just had opportunity to check actual cold tire pressures, and they compared with what the TPMS was reading when we left to come here.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Darn...I might be back to square one.
On my last trip, 10 miles from camp, one rear sensor was reading about 5lbs lower than the other inside dual tire.

Took off the sensor, and checked the tire, it was right on so I put it back on and started driving. When it gave its first reading, it was 35PSI and the alarm sounded. So swapped the sensor with the outside tire. Now the first reading was 1 psi with the alarm.

I swapped it with a spare senor, and all the numbers were good. OK, must be a bad sensor.

At home now, and I have made a small air tank out of PVC with 4 schrader vale stems. I also had another old sensor that had tape that said "No PSI"...from what I remember, it never registered.

Guess what, Paired both of these, and installed them on the tank, and they both work.....AND they seem to read correctly. They match each other (as expected), AND they match a small digital tire gauge I have.

Now I need to see if I can make the suspect sensor act up again.

One note on a previous post. The FAQ page on the TST site said +/-.73 PSI
My manual says +/- 1.5 PSI
I would also like to know how they get the ".5" part since the display reads in whole numbers.

This one is not easy.

Dan
Old 10-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #18

Anyone have an idea how much pressure increase to expect on a TPMS from cold (AM) to end if run (PM)? Fronts at 110 and rear at 95 to start with air temp 68*. Seems like front increases a lot. 2003 Dutch Star 40' no tag. Coming down from site in Blue Ridge area, my front went up 20lbs. Normal??
Old 10-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Anyone have an idea how much pressure increase to expect on a TPMS from cold (AM) to end if run (PM)? Fronts at 110 and rear at 95 to start with air temp 68*. Seems like front increases a lot. 2003 Dutch Star 40' no tag. Coming down from site in Blue Ridge area, my front went up 20lbs. Normal??

Mh MH increases 10-15 lbs.
Dolly increases 6-8 lbs.
Rear car Tires 4-6 lbs.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #20
RVM1

Quote:

Hi Mike and Harriet!
The amount of pressure rise depends on factors like load and ambient temp and speed etc.
Mine is front heavy at about 14,000 and today we went from 60 to 75 degrees heading south. My tires started at 118 and increased to 134. I have seen higher!
Don't sweat it. Sounds like your pressures are just fine!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Darn...I might be back to square one.

On my last trip, 10 miles from camp, one rear sensor was reading about 5lbs lower than the other inside dual tire.

Took off the sensor, and checked the tire, it was right on so I put it back on and started driving. When it gave its first reading, it was 35PSI and the alarm sounded. So swapped the sensor with the outside tire. Now the first reading was 1 psi with the alarm.

I swapped it with a spare senor, and all the numbers were good. OK, must be a bad sensor.

At home now, and I have made a small air tank out of PVC with 4 schrader vale stems. I also had another old sensor that had tape that said "No PSI"...from what I remember, it never registered.

Guess what, Paired both of these, and installed them on the tank, and they both work.....AND they seem to read correctly. They match each other (as expected), AND they match a small digital tire gauge I have.

Now I need to see if I can make the suspect sensor act up again.

One note on a previous post. The FAQ page on the TST site said +/-.73 PSI

My manual says +/- 1.5 PSI

I would also like to know how they get the ".5" part since the display reads in whole numbers.

This one is not easy.

Dan

I have found in the brand I have to be in the 1.5psi range as you mentioned above. It is also calibratable.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I have found in the brand I have to be in the 1.5psi range as you mentioned above. It is also calibratable.

What brand do you have?
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tire-SafeGuard TPMS can be adjusted to compensate for low or high readings. I adjusted mine to compensate for a 5 pound difference.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:58 PM   #24
RVM1

I don't sweat the small stuff!
Tires are right, TST does it's job. I know it's all good, so I don't worry.
My OCD ends at great bacon.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
What brand do you have?

Tire Safe Guard

Old 10-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Tire Safe Guard

I guess that explains why you can calibrate them
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
That does seem a little high for air temp around 70 deg.
But your 110 PSI starting point is pretty average, that is what I use (110 in FR/ 105 on Rear).

Dan
Old 10-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #28

Tires are manufactured to handle any temp increase from normal ambient temps climbing during the day, and from frictional heat increases in the tire itself. The TST system has a minimum temp point to alarm at 154d, if I remember correctly. If that ever occurs, something else drastic has already occurred and temp is the least of your worries.
Having all 4 tires and sensors reporting at exactly the same psi has never occurred in my attempts to fill the tires, so I settle for a range that I know is sufficient for the load I have on the tires. I only worry about low psi readings, and then if only one of the 10 is way off, or is trending badly--leaving TX in the summer and arriving in Leadville will usually get a low psi alarm the next morning. Leaving Leadville with correct tire pressure and arriving in TX at 105d heat never causes a high pressure or temp alarm.
I do see 120psi trailer tires climbing to 145 or so on hottest, long driving days, and the sun side comes into play also. My 85psi truck tires climb to about 115 on the same hot, long days. All normal.
With a MH and no spare, I would definitely pay attention to the alarm system...whether alarming or not.

Joe

'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote