Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-03-2016, 06:37 AM   #29
For the 507 and 507RV-Flow Thru units, TST claims 1.5psig accuracy in their current manuals. Mine are in the 2-3 pound low range. This doesn't bother me if they are not consistent with a spec and I know where I started (80 psig in my LT tires on our 5er set by a good gauge). I also look at temperature rise from starting ambient vs the gauge on my TV's dash and the external temp on the digital thermometer in the RV. Again, if we haven't moved yet, that temp and pressure reading can be different from side to side depending on how long the sun has been 'beating' on the tire. After all that, I'm more concerned with sudden high or low delta T and/or P after driving a distance rather then an absolute. These inexpensive measuring gadgets - and they really are - just are not capable of those kinds of tight parameters.

Know what your tire pressure is when you start as well as temps then look for sudden changes either up or down is really about all the real information these TPMS can tell you regardless of advertising.

Disclaimer: My opinion and how I use my TST unit, others may and will have theirs

Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 06:53 AM   #30
I use a gauge to set the pressures and the TST to warn me of any issues while driving, the exact pressures and temperature don't really matter but the extreme changes are what I'm concerned with.

ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #31
Winnebago Owners Club
IMO calibrated gauges and sensors must be checked routinely for accuracy. While they may be accurate when they are first purchased there are any number of situations that could occur to cause them to be slightly inaccurate.

Is it possible a small piece of dust or tire debris entered the gauge from the tire or when checking tire pressure?

I am satisfied when all of the tires have similar pressure. If the tires are within a couple lbs with the gauge, the TPMS is within a couple lbs I feel I have a baseline to monitor the pressure.

To check my gauge I will go to our local tire store and get them to check a couple tires with their gauge (supposedly calibrated) and use my tire gauge as a comparison. I note the difference between the gauges and subsequently compensate with my tire gauge.

TPMS is a great tool for "in motion" tire pressure monitoring.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Tire SafeGuard TPMS

The Tire SafeGuard TPMS monitor has a calibration mode where it can be adjusted up to + or - 9 lb's in order to compensate for differences between your gauge and the monitor.

It will NOT do each sensor individually only a global correction.

Here is an exert from the operators manual.

"While the TPMS provides sufficiently accurate tire pressure measurements, some user might prefer to use manual gauge readings as points of reference. In the event that there is a discrepancy between gauge and TPMS readings, user may adjust the Pressure Reading Calibration value for reconciling the measurements differences. A negative Calibration value subtracts from the TPMS readings while a positive value adds to it. Thus if on average the TPMS readings are 2 PSI higher than the gauge, a Calibration value of -2 would bring the TPMS readings down to the gauge level, so that when the user sees a pressure reading on the display he or she would know it is close to the gauge measurement. After adjusting the Calibration value its effect is applicable to new measurements, so the display will show the reconciled readings when receiving fresh sensor signals, such as while the vehicle is moving."

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #33
Thanks campdaven. I feel better now. My TPMS says to use 20% increase as a high pressure alarm. Maybe I'll moved that up a bit and see what happens. Again thanks.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #34

Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Thanks campdaven. I feel better now. My TPMS says to use 20% increase as a high pressure alarm. Maybe I'll moved that up a bit and see what happens. Again thanks.

Thanks for the kudos, but I had to get used to mine and readjusted the parameters twice!
Happy Trails, RVMs

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote