Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2016, 07:00 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does your TST TPMS system read correct pressure?

I am getting ready to contact TST.
I have always had a different reading in the TST display compared to the actual pressure in the tires.

I have a calibrated tire gauge, and when I check the pressure on my Truck and Jeep, the OEM TPMS in each vehicle matches my gauge exactly.

All of the 10 sensors on the TST read 4 lbs low.
I now suspect there is a calibration setting (maybe a "offset" setting) in the TSTS head to compensate for this.

Was wondering if anyone has the same incorrect readings, and if they were able to get it corrected. I hate having to subtract 4psi everytime I look at the display.

Regards,

Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 07:31 AM   #2

Don't have an answer, but will be watching this topic since my new EezTire TPMS also reads low compared to two different tire gauges.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:39 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe its just me but I don't worry as long as its within a few pounds. I only depend on the TST to let me know if a tire starts going down. While running some tires build more pressure than others so being at a specific pressure when cold does not need to be absolute.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:40 AM   #4

I know that my tire pressures are good with my tire gauge, and the purpose of TPMS is alerting to over or under psi or temp. That and your pressures will read up or down from normal each morning when the tires are cold.
Checking and resetting your psi every morning is futile and not needed. I look at the monitor before launch and see that it is within range and then ignore it unless it alerts. It has never alerted. I do need to reset pressures once per year, but only slightly.
Relax and let the TPMS tell you when attention is required
This has been heavily discussed on many threads.
Happy Trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Is it really THAT important!

What's more important is to set your CIP's with a calibrated tire psi gauge and only use that one for your tires.

What you are REALLY interested in is whether a tire is significantly different than others excluding for the sunny side of the coach.

You want to be alerted to a slow leak so that you are not running for hours on a under-inflated tire which WILL blow eventually because of the heat buildup caused by under-inflation.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:42 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Its really that important to keep DW from freaking out.
Now in a Class C Coachman Leperchaun, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon, or a '42 Pick-Up. Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146 Jon & Ellen
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:56 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
So put 4 lbs more pressure in the tire so the reading is what you want to see. 4 lbs is not a big deal in the grand scale of things and being slightly over is OK.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Maybe its just me but I don't worry as long as its within a few pounds. I only depend on the TST to let me know if a tire starts going down. While running some tires build more pressure than others so being at a specific pressure when cold does not need to be absolute.

Same with me.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
So put 4 lbs more pressure in the tire so the reading is what you want to see. 4 lbs is not a big deal in the grand scale of things and being slightly over is OK.
This is what I do. I set my pressures so the TPMS shows the right pressure. I'm scanning the TPMS all day, I want it to be right.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Agree with others.

I don't look for TPMS to give me absolute/actual but rather use it to detect a change (leak).
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post

This is what I do. I set my pressures so the TPMS shows the right pressure. I'm scanning the TPMS all day, I want it to be right.
Well it won't be right "all day" !!!

This stuff is not rocket science and doesn't have to be perfect.

I set my low PSI alarms to be my actual CIP aim for the weight of the coach. Currently for the front it is 100 psi and for the rear it is 105 psi.

However I always load the tires with an extra 5 psi in each tire giving me a small safety margin, front 105 psi and rear 110 psi.

When we first start out in the morning the TPMS could be somewhere between the 100-105 psi for the front and 105-110 psi for the rear.

From that moment on the pressure rises until the tires hit their normal operating psi.

If any tire reaches it actual CIP aim it will alert me so I can pull over and check things out.

That way I never run with an under-inflated tire for very long if at all PLUS I am warned of a slow leak WELL in advance of the tire actually being under-inflated.

If the climate has changed significantly in the area that I am driving usually the tires will be either well under the CIP or well over the CIP. That's when I will re-adjust the psi's with my calibrated tire gauge.

That can happen once or twice driving from Alaska to Florida or the other direction.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #12

Agree with the responses to monitor change in pressure and temperature rather than absolute pressure. Not a big deal, but just wanted to know if there is some sort of fine tuning "adjustment" in a TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Agree with others.

I don't look for TPMS to give me absolute/actual but rather use it to detect a change (leak).
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:40 AM   #13

Like you, my hi-pressure coach sensors read 3 lbs low but the low-pressure toad sensors are right on the dot. Cant imagine being able to adjust the sensors independently, so if adjustment were possible, think it would be global across all sensors......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Plus/minus 5% is the tolerance on most any pressure gauge other than laboratory grade equipment. 4 psi on a tire that is probably in the 100 psi range is within that spec.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote