Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
Dog owner here. I am surprised you are just running into this issue. I have been camping for over 35 years and in the last 10 of those, I have found very few parks that do not have an "unattended" rule. Folks above are right - irresponsible dog owners have created the problem and now the rest of us have to live with it. What I am seeing is more and more campgrounds that only allow dogs to be walked in specific areas. Again, does not make me happy, but then, I always pick up after my dogs and I keep them off other sites.
Yes their has always been some. I would not stay at that campground. It now is to the point at least here in the northeast-mid Atlantic area that we cant find campgrounds to stay at. We are planning our vacations by where we can bring our dog. To me it's not fair to him to leave him behind.

I must add that yes I clean up after my dog. No he doesn't bark, only if you knock on the door. I have even had, more than once a neighbor say I didn't know you had a dog in their.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #16

My take on this, and I'm a dog owner, is that if your dog is well behaved, no one will know it's in the coach while the owners are gone. My two dogs do not bark unless someone walks on our campsite. If we really want to address issues, my complaint is with the drunks who think everyone wants to hear them laugh at 11:00pm. Irresponsible spouses/life mates need to learn how to control their drunken partners. We camped at a site last year in Pa., where the wife would hit the sack around 9:00 and the old man had to sit outside drinking, talking loudly to his dog, and throwing wood into the fire till midnight. I have a 50 cent theory that the same folks who complain about an occasional dog barking are the same morons who find it acceptable to over inbibe every night and act like they're the only ones in the campground. I agree with not allowing an unsupervised pet, but I think the same rule applies to drunken humans.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #17
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
I have been Camping ever since I was a kid and the family dog always came along. In the last couple of years I have been noticing more and more campgrounds with the policy that you can not leave your dog in your RV unattended. Some of the parks I have talked to about this stated that you can't leave them, even if you are still in the campground. It's gotten to the point that its hard to find a campground in some areas...I just don't understand this policy and its increasing popularity among campgrounds.
It's a way of saying, "No dogs allowed" without actually saying it.

Since we are full-timers, we normally don't stay in motels; but we have noticed similar policies there. One motel advertised themselves as being "pet friendly," but when you read on down the page, you found out there was an extra charge of $150 a night per pet!
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
Old 01-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
We have a cat.
Last year when we bought our RV we moved from one pet friendly hotel in AZ to another closer to where the RV was that we were ending up buying. We called several so called pet friendly hotels and one said that "only dogs are allowed, no cats, cause cats are way more noisy and destructive".
I am not sure I want to meet that cat that caused them to think that. I have had all kinds of pets growing up and I have yet to meet a cat that is noisier or more destructive than a dog per se so that must have been some cat.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #19

I've always thought that these long lists of "rules" were basically for the inconsiderate people. If you act with courtesy for other people and behave yourself, then you don't need to worry about "rules".

If you'll do some searching, you'll find many, many threads complaining about unruly people and the park not enforcing their own rules. Many parks will only throw someone out for something serious, and after several attempts to "talk" with the guest.

I've never been to a park that said "no dogs". Down south, I've always interpreted the "no unattended" to be for those fools that would tie up their big dog outside and just leave him. They always get loose and run around getting into trouble. Not for the couple that would leave their little yippy dog in the RV while they went shopping.

Normally, I don't fret over a couple with a little yippy dog. Dogs barking and kids yelling and running around kind of comes with the territory in the summer months. I do find it strange these people traveling around in an RV with a whole menagerie of animals. But to each their own I guess, as long as I'm not assalted by poop odors.

Fortunately, I'm well in tuned with my Boston Terrier's behavior. He must be leashed when outside, as I never know if he'll love you or want to tear you apart. Cats and birds are prey to him. Sometimes he likes other dogs, sometimes he doesn't. Same for kids. He won't bark though, unless there is a knock on the door. He loves to pee on everything, so the leash keeps that under control too.

I don't understand these people that think it's OK to walk their dog on your site and let it pee on you awning straps, garbage bag, plants or whatever. A tree along the street, fine. Rest areas are another thing. I hardly ever see anyone with poop bags at these interstate stops. I have to have an eagle eye walking to the bathroom to make sure I don't step in something -gross!

Ok, rant over.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #20

iRV2 No Limits Club
I love dogs, except... One of the reasons we gave up tenting and built a well insulated teardrop trailer is because of barking dogs and screaming kids, which you are more likely to encounter in tent sites, and Fifi is not inside, nor are the kids.
Our kids grew up tenting and were well behaved and knew where to spend their energy.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #21

I find this thread fascinating. We've only been RVing for eight years, the last year full time, and I've yet to see rules that say a dog can't be left alone in the RV. Outside, yes. But never a blanket never left alone policy.

I've also wondered how a pet owner can know what his dog does or doesn't do when the owner is gone.

GL Arnold
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
With all these fires in a RV with the Norcold or other reasons.
Why does responsible pet owners, leave a pet inside a locked RV with no way to get out?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #23

I've been traveling and staying in campgrounds for a lot of years and I don't think I've ever run across a "no unattended dogs" rule OTHER than ones that won't allow you to leave your dog outside unattended. I travel with three beagles and unless someone crosses my site, they won't bark. And even if they did, they are inside my motorhome with the windows closed so unless you're standing within 10 feet of my rig, you won't hear them anyway.

I agree with what one previous poster stated that the bigger problem is drunks and loud people who sit up until after midnight stoking the fire and laughing and talking right outside my bedroom window.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
Old 01-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #24

Using that logic, why would you put a LOVED one in an RV? I'm not going to live my life waiting for the sky to fall. I also don't have a Norcold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
With all these fires in a RV with the Norcold or other reasons.
Why does responsible pet owners, leave a pet inside a locked RV with no way to get out?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
If you had to listen to the unattended, barking dog in the next campsite you'd understand the policy.
Then enforce quiet rules. In the mean time do the same quiet rules apply to cars, motorcycles, carts, people and other noise makers? What if I don't want to hear the campground party around the fire?

Again, enforce rules fairly and consistently. I won't get too hyper if you occasionally drive your Harley or other loud vehicle past my MH at reasonable times of the day if you don't get hyper when my GSDs bark at it.

Fair enough?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #26

I've learned two things while travelings with Beagles. Rule #1, always turn off the air horns, and Rule #2, always turn around the drivers seat so that the Beagle can't use the steering wheel as a "perch" to look outside which is where Rule #1 comes into play
Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I've learned two things while travelings with Beagles. Rule #1, always turn off the air horns, and Rule #2, always turn around the drivers seat so that the Beagle can't use the steering wheel as a "perch" to look outside which is where Rule #1 comes into play
ROTFLMFAO
Old 01-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
It's tough to go get groceries without leaving your dog "unattended". Our two are pretty quiet but we make a point of asking neighbors to honestly tell us if they bark. So far so good but if there is a problem we will find out what it is and keep them quiet. A/C on, windows and blinds shut and even leave the TV on to distract them from outside noise works. If it ever came down to it they would get shock no-bark collars or one of us would have to stay at the MH.

We have been next to others that have dogs that start the minute they leave and continue until they return, not fun. I find it hard to believe the owners of dogs like that do not know since they are still at it when they pull in.

If you don't like dogs I think you picked a tough way to travel since more and more people we meet bought an RV to be able to bring their pets. I do not think that is any excuse for an annoying animal of any kind. Humans either

Closed Thread