Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #29

Most owners of the small "yappers" are clueless as to how annoying their dogs can be while they are gone, as they usually shut up upon hearing them drive up. It is often the bread. That then tosses all dog owners into the same category. But, I do think that the unattended rule is there like many others, for possible enforcement, so when you are asked to take your noise makers and leave, it's not like you haven'y been forewarned. Keep them quiet and there should be no objection.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post

We have been next to others that have dogs that start the minute they leave and continue until they return, not fun. I find it hard to believe the owners of dogs like that do not know since they are still at it when they pull in.

If you don't like dogs I think you picked a tough way to travel since more and more people we meet bought an RV to be able to bring their pets. I do not think that is any excuse for an annoying animal of any kind. Humans either

Old 01-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Most parks have rules about leaving children unattended as well.

As with animals, some kids are fine when left on their own, but all too many are not. Thus the rules that (a) warn the guest ahead of time and (b) allow the campground to take action when needed.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Old 01-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Not really off topic BUT when we were looking at RVs to buy we asked about whether or not it had been smoked in or if there were pets. The reason we asked about the smoking is that nicotine can be a **tch to clean off of everything and we were not really looking forward to deep cleaning walls and everything. And not that we didn't want one that had pets but it would help knowing then where some spots came from so that we would know what to clean them with.
Every RV we looked at either at a private seller or a dealer all said - No smoking and no pets - really? The no smoking is a little more believable than everyone with no pets, not with all the RVers with pets out there. The one we did go with also said no smoking and no pets and there has been no nicotine to clean but we have found several dog treats and toys under and behind couches and drawers.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
As I see it, the problem here is you are not going to camp grounds. You are going to RV parks and Resorts. Try visiting a State Park or other camp ground if camping is what you want. RV Parks and Resorts are full of older tongue-clackers and grouchy old people who have so little time left to enjoy themselves that any noise or disturbance takes them away from one of the five TV's installed in their Motor Homes. Try going to a place where people spend some time outside with their kids and dogs: you may find the atmosphere a little more relaxed and enjoyable.
Dick
Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
As I see it, the problem here is you are not going to camp grounds. You are going to RV parks and Resorts. Try visiting a State Park or other camp ground if camping is what you want. RV Parks and Resorts are full of older tongue-clackers and grouchy old people who have so little time left to enjoy themselves that any noise or disturbance takes them away from one of the five TV's installed in their Motor Homes. Try going to a place where people spend some time outside with their kids and dogs: you may find the atmosphere a little more relaxed and enjoyable.
Dick
Yikes! Here it comes!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

I think we've found this rule (often buried in the fine print) to be quite common but I've always treated it as something which was there to enforce if there is a problem. As others have said, if your dogs are well behaved nobody will even know they're alone.

We leave ours unattended and have asked for feedback from neighbors on their behavior while we're gone.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #36

Quote:
I've also wondered how a pet owner can know what his dog does or doesn't do when the owner is gone.
One way is to ask a neighbor. Hopefully you can get an honest answer. We bought some software for the laptop that records dog noise while you are gone, and sends messages to your cell if the dog is barking. BarkSentry.com It, surprisingly, worked very well. It recorded the barks when UPS knocked on the door and you could even hear the dog slurping from the water dish.

We have been in several campgrounds with the ambiguous no unattended pets rule. When I have asked, most owners/workers were evasive in their response about meaning. IMO, I agree with those who feel the rule is there as another tool for the campground. Unless you own one of those yappers that sits on the dash and barks at everyone walking by, how would anyone know you had a pet inside. And who would care?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I've not noticed any of the parks we go to that have that restriction...

now you got me worrying about our dog
He's not an ankle-biter and WHEN he barks it sounds like a BIG dog....
but he RARELY barks, honestly, I don't know when we are not around...

will have to ask our neighbors next time ! thanks for the heads up !
Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #38

When we were looking to rent a class C for a vacation, we were looking at several parks. One park not only had a no dog left alone rule, but the dog can only be walked in the dog park and you had to drive the dog to the dog park. How in the world do they expect you to do that when you're all hooked up. Not everyone brings a toad.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Dick
HEY!!!! I resemble that remark! I only have one TV though.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post

I agree with you but out of control kids, loud radios & drunks always have someone that you can confront if you choose. Locked up, barking dogs are only controllable after the owners return.
Parents are almost impossible to find and the ensuring confrontation with drunk parents rarely solves the problem
Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #41

That bark sentry sounds like a really good idea.

GL Arnold
Old 01-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #42

Quote:
Dick
VERY well said Dick !!! We also bought our motor home just so our "kids" can travel with us... Even here at home, we are very aware of the Danes outside barking, although dogs do bark... All lots here are 2 acres or more... We don't let them here OR less on the road take barking to extreme... Before we ever leave the house on a trip in the RV, they have a harness on, NEVER without a leash, and ALWAYS picked up after... I promise never to go into those "private" high dollar rv parks with ,,, hmmm,,, "people" who think Camping is supposed to be as quiet as living in the middle of 500 acres...
I will also agree with previous posters that "people" who disregard others, are more of a problem than pets... We recently stayed at a pretty well reviewed rv park in Branson MO, and heard till after midnight Loud party's by the seasonal workers staying there. We did not complain, we are not ones to cry about things,,, but we won't be back there... BUT,,, I(we) also would not like to hear barking dogs constantly.... Welcome to America... for now..............................

Closed Thread