Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Dog can not be unattended at any time.

I have been Camping ever since I was a kid and the family dog always came along. In the last couple of years I have been noticing more and more campgrounds with the policy that you can not leave your dog in your RV unattended. Some of the parks I have talked to about this stated that you can't leave them, even if you are still in the campground. It's gotten to the point that its hard to find a campground in some areas. Now I can understand if your dog barks non stop and that should be addressed with that person. At the very least this policy in my opinion makes the CG a non dog friendly park. One of the reasons my wife and I bought our first motorhome was so our dog could come with us. Normally we leave our dog in the motorhome and do what tourists do. Returning to feed and walk our dog. I just don't understand this policy and its increasing popularity among campgrounds.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
I have been Camping ever since I was a kid and the family dog always came along. In the last couple of years I have been noticing more and more campgrounds with the policy that you can not leave your dog in your RV unattended. Some of the parks I have talked to about this stated that you can't leave them, even if you are still in the campground. It's gotten to the point that its hard to find a campground in some areas. Now I can understand if your dog barks non stop and that should be addressed with that person. At the very least this policy in my opinion makes the CG a non dog friendly park. One of the reasons my wife and I bought our first motorhome was so our dog could come with us. Normally we leave our dog in the motorhome and do what tourists do. Returning to feed and walk our dog. I just don't understand this policy and its increasing popularity among campgrounds.
If you had to listen to the unattended, barking dog in the next campsite you'd understand the policy.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
laj

X2!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
If you had to listen to the unattended, barking dog in the next campsite you'd understand the policy.
You have that right. Owners of unattended dogs think their cuties lay down and go to sleep while they are gone. WRONG!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #5

The free market will sort it out. If campgrounds think they can not cater to the rv dog population, good luck to them.

My opinion is its just a rule used to get rid of problem dogs, if the dog makes no noise who knows if its alone.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #6

I'm not a dog person per say but I will say its the dog owners screwing things up for dog owners. I myself don't want to listen to a howling/barking dog. I don't feel like I should have to go tell the office that your dog has been barking for hours when in reality you knew he would bark when you left the dog in there.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #7

It's a simple thing. Dog owners are doing it to themselves. Do you really think that CG owners want to eliminate you? They are just tired of your barking, craping & annoying animals. Get your dogs under control & the problems will go away.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #8

I just wouldn't go to thise CG's and would tell all my family and friends not to camp there as well. There is no end to this kind of stuff, I tend to mind my own business.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
It's a simple thing. Dog owners are doing it to themselves. Do you really think that CG owners want to eliminate you? They are just tired of your barking, craping & annoying animals. Get your dogs under control & the problems will go away.
While this is said very harsh it's the truth. For every 1 responsible dog owner there are 100 that aren't.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #10

As a dog owner , I too , am tired of irresponsible owners screwing it up for the rest if us . I am also a parent who is tired of disrespectful kids and drunk parents .
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
While this is said very harsh it's the truth. For every 1 responsible dog owner there are 100 that aren't.
I always like to get to the point quickly. I have spent more that 1 day listening to somebody's precious dog.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
After I posted this I thought that this might be the perfect post for dog haters to complain about dogs. With that said I would hate being next to someone whose dog barked non stop. In the last 10 years I can only remember one time that that happened. The real problem I have encountered is out if control kids loud radios adults yelling/drinking and people walking through our campsite.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
After I posted this I thought that this might be the perfect post for dog haters to complain about dogs. With that said I would hate being next to someone whose dog barked non stop. In the last 10 years I can only remember one time that that happened. The real problem I have encountered is out if control kids loud radios adults yelling/drinking and people walking through our campsite.
I agree with you but out of control kids, loud radios & drunks always have someone that you can confront if you choose. Locked up, barking dogs are only controllable after the owners return.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dog owner here. I am surprised you are just running into this issue. I have been camping for over 35 years and in the last 10 of those, I have found very few parks that do not have an "unattended" rule. Folks above are right - irresponsible dog owners have created the problem and now the rest of us have to live with it. What I am seeing is more and more campgrounds that only allow dogs to be walked in specific areas. Again, does not make me happy, but then, I always pick up after my dogs and I keep them off other sites.