Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2016, 05:23 AM   #1

Dog fencing- pvc?

Now that a new camping season has begun all the trial and errors from the previous season are rearing their head.
We need a way to contain our two labs while camping. They are not leash dogs as we use an Invisible Fence when at home.

I see a lot of people using fencing systems to contain their dogs while camping. I don't need a complete radius system as they are too large to crawl under the mh. So it would travel from the front of the mh around the site to the rear bumper.

Any systems anyone could recommend which are sturdy enough to hold a 100# lab that may run up against it yet allow flexibility in lay out?

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 06:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
How about some of the toddler fencing, it's foldable and maybe hairy kid proof. Or I do see wire fencing that is foldable also. HAVE you tried a pet store or a farm store may have something for smaller animals like calves that would do the trick.

LEN
Old 05-24-2016, 08:31 AM   #3

I have the same situation. Two Labs, trained with the wireless fence.

I bought this

https://www.motorolastore.com/travelfence50.html

I got it for $199 on groupon and the extra collar on Amazon for $95. Not a cheap solution but easier than fencing.

So far works well and is portable.
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:44 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Boy, am I glad we have Shelties! I made a collapsible pen out of pvc and green plastic fencing - 2 sections each side (8 total sections) and I carry it on my ladder. We open up one side and keep the furkids on leashes. But, we can also just let them stay off-leash in the pen.

Canopy keeps them dry and we use a sheet to keep them out of the sun.

DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #5

We bought the Go Pet Club Heavy Duty Pet Play and Exercise Pen(s)

(whew, say that 10 times fast)

Bought 3 pen sets off Amazon and link them together. We bought the 40" height panels. We have 4 labs. 2 of them are 100 pounds, one 80-ish, and one mixed mutt of about 55 pounds.

Here's a pic of 2 and a half of the 3 sets linked together and set up:

About the only thing I don't like is the gate, the latches are a bit cheaply done, but they do hold securely, and the gateway clearance is almost too narrow to pass through easily. But once it's connected together and in place, our collective 330 pounds of labs have not been able to budge the panels. (Yet, lol)

I think each set was $115 give or take a buck.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
How about some of the toddler fencing, it's foldable and maybe hairy kid proof. Or I do see wire fencing that is foldable also. HAVE you tried a pet store or a farm store may have something for smaller animals like calves that would do the trick.

LEN
I have wondered about these.
Our labs are very sock collar deterrent. If it beeps they back up quickly!
Our old boy, he doesn't even try it.

My only question is how do they know their boundaries? It would change every time. I would think the white flags would alert them. But who wants to look at that every weekend?

Old 05-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #7

The problem with pens is, the next site occupant may have small children which play in that same grassy area that dogs just used for a bathroom. That's why rv parks have dog runs, to prevent such occurances.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #8

Not sure if serious...

We clean up after our pets. Yes, even inside the pen.

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowpokeSlim View Post
Not sure if serious...

Thanks.
He is very serious.....

Even if you pick up the pop, there is still some left on the grass, not to mention all the pee. Do you want your kids rolling around in a barnyard, even if someone picked up the poop? Do you want to walk through it, and drag it into your RV? It's worse than walking on NY City sidewalks..... Not to mention the residual barnyard smell that the next camper gets to live with.

See the thread on "taking your shoes off in your RV (a

bit extreme in some cases, but I do understand to some degree.)

Not to mention, how often the dogs in pens outisde an RV are the worst, and most constant barkers..... Oh, I know it's not "your" dog, but there are a lot (more) of "someone else's" dog out there.

And no, I don't hate dogs. In fact, I was our neighbor's rat terrier's best friend last evening.......
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I have wondered about these.
Our labs are very sock collar deterrent. If it beeps they back up quickly!
Our old boy, he doesn't even try it.

My only question is how do they know their boundaries? It would change every time. I would think the white flags would alert them. But who wants to look at that every weekend?
My labs just know the beep.. it only takes once and they know where not to go...you can put the flags but if your dog is already trained you may not need it. with that said all dogs are different so YMMV.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
He is very serious.....

Even if you pick up the pop, there is still some left on the grass, not to mention all the pee. Do you want your kids rolling around in a barnyard, even if someone picked up the poop? Do you want to walk through it, and drag it into your RV? It's worse than walking on NY City sidewalks..... Not to mention the residual barnyard smell that the next camper gets to live with.

See the thread on "taking your shoes off in your RV (a

bit extreme in some cases, but I do understand to some degree.)

Not to mention, how often the dogs in pens outisde an RV are the worst, and most constant barkers..... Oh, I know it's not "your" dog, but there are a lot (more) of "someone else's" dog out there.

And no, I don't hate dogs. In fact, I was our neighbor's rat terrier's best friend last evening.......
The only solution to not allow dogs. depending on the size of the pen most dogs wont eliminate in the area...much like they wont indoors.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowpokeSlim View Post
Not sure if serious...

Thanks.
Ignore those with no "4 legged" kids... We also clean up AND look after our 4 legged kids better than most do with 2 legged kids... Ours are leashed trained, and YES we use the pet runs, but we also use X pens when allowed so they can have a few feet of free play as long as we are there watching... We usually even wash down and disenfect the poop area if its by our camper... We ALWAYS leave a site cleaner than we found it.... No sweat...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:30 PM   #13

Yes, I would not worry about what the dogs are doing in the area. We would not leave them unattended and after they go to the bathroom we are quick to pick up and take to the dumpster.
It is true there is some residual waste left, I suppose.

However, that can be anywhere. Very few campgrounds we go to have dog runs. People merely walk their dogs and clean up after.

Honestly, if I need to worry about our kids getting residual waste on them from a dog on the site the night before I think I would be too phobic to even let them camp outdoors.

Tics, snakes, bears, mosquitos, skunks, residual dog waste...oh my.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #14

Ok, thought it was just me for a second. Wasn't prepared for the phobia phactor. I sometimes wonder why some people camp at all. Because "outside" can be "icky", as Eric said. Bugs, feral animals, rodents, tree squirrels, ravens, pigeons, all can leave "icky messes" behind.

I miss full boondock dry camping, nearest neighbors may be 1000 yards away or more, peace, quiet and tranquility. Sadly, in ND, everything is private land, so no possibilities to really CAMP and get away from it all. We're trying to make the best of things and "get used to" campgrounds where your neighbor is right on top of you, but it's not really "camping" (at least to me, but I'm making the effort to adjust).

Some of the dog haters... and wanting dogs banned from campgrounds... trust me, I don't want to be camped next to you anymore than you want to be camped next to me.

Our dogs are well trained, well behaved, and they are not allowed outside unless we are with them. If they are not in the pen, then they are on leashes or wire rope leads. Our dogs never run loose. We clean up after ourselves and our dogs. I'd rather be camped next to our dogs than just about anyone else's children these days.

Leaving the land/area/campsite cleaner than I found it was instilled in me 50 years ago. We try to be good campers and good neighbors. And I dare say we show other campers more respect than we seem to get in return. Such is life in a campground I guess.