Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don
Okay.....I read through all 12 pages. I love animals and have had a dog since I was five. We had two labs, one pet and one working dog until last year. We loved our dogs, but never took them camping. It was too much work and really limits your ability to do outdoor activites since dogs are RESTRICTED from most trails.

Can't agree with you on this one....dogs are restricted at the opera, at the football game, at the gym, on the golf course, at the restaurant, at the bank ( no forget that ......they are welcomed at my bank, at my lawyers office, at my accountants...well at pretty much all the professional offices we frequent) ......ANYWAY....the one place they are pretty much universally welcomed is "outside" and is on the hiking trails of N.America. How would I be qualified to say such a thing? We are retired and travel full-time with our two dogs and hike with them at least 3/4 days a week. I will grant you that dogs are not allowed on the hiking trails in US National Parks.....not so in Canada as we went hiking today with our dogs in Banff National Park. Besides, what's too much "work" about taking your dog camping & doing "outdoor" activities with them?

Those who are defending their pets so rigorously seem to think that the others hate pets and have never owned any. That's not true, we just don't elect to take them camping.

What's really, I mean REALLY sad are those that compare their pets to human beings (like children). I don't care if you sleep with your pet and the two of you are intimate, it's not a human being and shouldn't be compared to children in a campground. It terrible to see someone making a comparison to a child here! Part of the problem with the BAD pet owners (no one from here) is they treat them like a human being rather than a pet.

Well....you got me real curious on this one, particularly in light of your reference to intimate animal acts. Enlighten me with the things you would "do" to a pet, but wouldn't do to a human being? For our part, we treat our dogs with the same respect, compassion & dignity we accord to our fellow "human being" campers.

When I started camping 38 years ago, you never saw anyone bring their pet. As society started becoming anti-social and campers quit talking to one another, they started holding up in their RV's with their pets like gunman. Only coming out to walk Sparky. How about leaving Sparky home and coming out to talk to your neighbors. You may find that even though people don't like your dog pooping at their door step, they can be friendly.

Can't agree with you on this one....dogs are often the one thing that gets people put of their RV's......gotta walk those pooping machines! We have met more people while walking our dogs (and picking-up after them) in the campground than I have ever met adjusting my tire pressure, burning dinner on my bar-be-que, etc. ........Now holed-up like a gunman with the computer, iPad, TV's, Video Games, Netflicks, YouTube ....I could agree with you on that one!

By the way, those of you who say your dog never barks because you shush it everytime it does when someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does when someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does when someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does when someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does when someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does when someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does when someone walks by.....you get the point.
What's your point...no seriously...what's your point. Dogs bark, kids scream, adults argue & yell, guys like to idle their diesel trucks, people watch outdoor entertainment centers, coyotes howl, birds sing....hey the outdoors is noisy.....chill!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 01:19 AM   #170

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
During my 50 plus years of camping and RVing I have seen my fair share of thoughtless dog owners. I do feel however in the rest areas some of the worst violators are the owners who drive cars and are not properly equipped to pick up or are just plain a holes. Don't you just love the pretenders, you know the ones who didn't see the deposit or pretend like they can't find it.

No one seems to mind when a horse owner takes his animal for a walk????

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #171

I really just wonder what happened that caused we as humans to seek a fault in everyone. I don't exclude myself from that statement.

We hate the neighbors dog. Their kids drive us nuts. Their music is too loud. Their dinner smells terrible.

I still strive to bottle these beliefs and say hello. I attempt to start a conversation. But I know deep down most people are searching for that go to reason to declare what makes them better then me.
dkauffman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfurd View Post
I guess I'm just not worth knowing. I have no desire to own a dog or cat. I like dogs and cats, I just prefer not to live with animals!

Every time I see a dog licking its owners face, I wonder where it just licked prior to that!

burfurd
These are the same folks that wipe the cart in the supermarket because their afraid of picking up a germ.
A dog licks his privets and then licks your face
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #173
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The point is pretty obvious, everyone thinks their dog is special and doesn't annoy others with pooping and the screeching everytime someone walks by.

The other obvious point is that we go to a LOT of National Parks which all say no pets on trails, yet here comes 4-5 people dragging their dogs along and pooping.

Finally....if you're their to see the outdoors, leave the dog at home rather than sit cooped up in your RV taking care of the dog because you can't leave it unattended and you can't take it on the trails. Again, dogs are wonderful, their inconsiderate owners are the problem. As a matter of fact, I was probably a better dog owner than some of the people that bring theirs camping. Mine were comfortable at home, not riding on th dash of my RV or in my lap waiting to be smashed by an airbag and I didn't have to leave mine cooped up in the hot RV all day with I wanted to go on an excursion. Mine were at home roaming my large yard and then brought in the house at night where they slept in the evenings.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #174

Monaco Owners Club
The rest areas have been poluted by dogs belonging to truckers, of course. Mostly little yipping football dogs (i call them that because I could easily dropkick them oover the back fence.)
My dog, a 2 year old unfixed male Elkhound, is of course perfect. He walks 18" from my side without a leash, would never chase another animal or even a child. And I've trained him to back into a large bush before relieving himself(he actually does do that... But it wasn't me who taught him how)
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #175
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jim.....My work dog was well trained, but teaching her to poop like that was something I guess I never tried. The only poop related thing she wouldn't do was poop in the Ford Expedition rear seat kennel. She smelled bad every so often though.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #176

Vintage RV Owners Club
I take my dog camping. I also pet sit for folks wanting to go camping without the dog, and some folks who take the dog but leave the kitties home. I have left my dog home before or in a kennel. It just depends on what the action is going to be and where it is going to be located, and what time of year it is. I'd love to come check on your dog at your campsite if you are ever around here and you want to go for a day.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #177

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
I have left my dog home before or in a kennel.
That is why why we have an RV. We felt like you know what when we kenneled our girl dog and left on vacation. Now we are very happy we made that decision.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #178

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
...No one seems to mind when a horse owner takes his animal for a walk????

Don
I've never had a horse poop in my yard, piddle on my tires, or keep me awake with incessant, loud neighing. Dogs, on the other hand... (btw, for the record, I'm a dog lover).
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #179

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
...And I've trained him to back into a large bush before relieving himself(he actually does do that... But it wasn't me who taught him how)
Some friends of mine had a large black lab mix that would do that when I walked him if I wasn't paying attention. I wouldn't let him because it made it harder to pick up his poop (it was bad enough his poop was the size of Rhode Island).
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
The rest areas have been poluted by dogs belonging to truckers, of course. Mostly little yipping football dogs (i call them that because I could easily dropkick them oover the back fence.)
My dog, a 2 year old unfixed male Elkhound, is of course perfect. He walks 18" from my side without a leash, would never chase another animal or even a child. And I've trained him to back into a large bush before relieving himself(he actually does do that... But it wasn't me who taught him how)
I just have to tell this story;
The moral of the story is: Getting even with the person with the yapping dog thats left in the truck.
I stopped at a rest stop on the interstate once, a trucker pulled up beside me real close, got out of his truck and disapeared. he left a small yapper in his truck that started his yapping just as soon as the trucker was out of site, I walked around the front of the truck and the yapper went wild, up on the dash, back and forth, back and forth, papers flying every where, I just stood out there and that mut litterly distroyed that truckers cab.
Did I enjoy that, YOU BET
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #181

So as long as the dog backs into a bush its okay to leave the poop?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #182

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Actual experience that happen to me a few years ago - going home in my truck for lunch (you can do that when you live in tiny town) and sitting in traffic when an mostly enclosed double level semi-trailer filled with cattle pulled up next to me.

A fine piece of beef had its bottom pressed up against the side of the trailer on the upper level. Alignment was such that it was above my truck and just forward of my windshield on the drivers side. Well it decided it was time to let go with a nice runny offering of the last few days cud its been curing. Needless to say it was a perfect launch and landing directly on the drivers side windshield, roof of truck, drivers door window and hood!

Guess what? Not nearly enough washer fluid in the reservoir and combined with the wiper blades, did a great job of providing a smear job..... Had to take a hose to the truck when I got home. One saving grace was that the drivers side window was closed!