Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #113

When we were at the dog park the other day, I realized how difficult it would be to make 100% sure that we cleaned up after our dog.

Fist of all there are a bunch of bushes that up the hill that the dogs like to run through & behind. Now is there any way I would know if my dog had pooped up there... nope! Also, people come up & talk to me about my dog. Now I try to keep my eyes on my dog without being rude to the person who is talking to me, so is there a possibility that my dog may have pooped & I didn't see it... heck yah!

But all this is only possible because my dog is not on a leash. So it seems that the issue here is only that people are so absolutely rude and have their dog on the leash & just refuse to pick up the poop... or their dogs are running around off leash & therefore they have no clue where their dog has actually pooped at.

My experience with camping (boondocking) is that it is more of the latter. People love to let their dogs roam free when out camping. Maybe because they feel the freedom of camping, they want their dogs to experience that as well.

I love dogs & will always approach them to pet them. But if your dog is roaming free and comes into my campsite, I will definately be keeping an eye on them, even though you are the one that you should be doing that. And if it pees on any of my stuff or poops in my campsite, you better believe that you're gonna hear about it!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #114

Information that might be interesting to those that say (my dog don't bite); this mornings paper lists a 3 year old in hospital with dog bite and may not live. owner says (my dog wouldn't bite anyone) neighbors say this dog was mean.

the most recent year for which published data are available, an estimated 4.7 million dog bites occurred in the United States, and approximately 799,700 persons required medical care (1). Of an estimated 333,700 patients treated for dog bites in emergency departments (EDs) in 1994 (2), approximately 6,000 (1.8%) were hospitalized (3). To estimate the number of nonfatal dog bite--related injuries treated in U.S. hospital EDs, CDC analyzed data from the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System-All Injury Program (NEISS-AIP). This report summarizes the results of the analysis, which indicate that in 2001, an estimated 368,245 persons were treated in U.S. hospital EDs for nonfatal dog bite--related injuries. Injury rates were highest among children aged 5--9 years. To reduce the number of dog bite--related injuries, adults and children should be educated about bite prevention, and persons with canine pets should practice responsible pet ownership.

There were most likely 1000 times more bites that were never reported.
I don't know anyone that hasn't been bitten at least once.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe dogs should never be allowed to "roam free" unless they are in their own fenced yard. In fact, most campgrounds, parks, etc. have leash laws/rules in effect. I love my dog, but I would never allow him to run loose in a campground to annoy other people or be out of my control.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #116

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkolson3 View Post
as we have traveled from Mn to Alaska, stopping in many campgrounds, and boondocking, I would like to vent a bit. It seems that there are only a few that travel without dogs, and that is fine for those choosing to. It would be nice if dog owners would clean up after their pets. No matter where we stopped we had to tip toe through dog poop. I saw one man at a rest stop, let his dog out to run, feed and water, then wait for him to do his business. The dog did, he put him back in the truck and left. Every rest stop, picnic area and campground. I am tired of it. Please, please clean up so others are not left with crap on their shoes. Hard for kids to play in these areas. Have some courtesy
I thought I would repost the OP's statement that got this started. I don't see anything about barking, leashes, biting, licking or kissing. He just voiced an opinion and one I agree with. BTW, we travel with two dogs and two cats, to me they are my fur kids.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #117

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
I thought I would repost the OP's statement that got this started. I don't see anything about barking, leashes, biting, licking or kissing. He just voiced an opinion and one I agree with. BTW, we travel with two dogs and two cats, to me they are my fur kids.

The majority of pet owners are responsible, as usual, its the few bad eggs we all pay for...

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #118

Ya now those plastic bags that every trendy earth lovin liberal is happy to be banned happed to make nice poo bags. Now thats recycling isnt it? When we stop at Wally World for the evening, we always go in an make purchases and purloin a couple of extras for the next days pooo gathering.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #119

[QUOTE="melvonnar"]Information that might be interesting to those that say (my dog don't bite); This report summarizes the results of the analysis, which indicate that in 2001, an estimated 368,245 persons were treated in U.S. hospital EDs for nonfatal dog bites

Just last month I purchased an iPad for my Golden - Sandy. I felt that after 10 yrs of not biting anyone she deserved a treat. Anyway she usually follows dog related forums, but I turned her on to this thread as I thought she might find some of the opinions interesting.

Well.......she has been fascinated by the opinions of what she thought were her "best friends". She is particularly confused by the outdoor defecating thing. Every walk we go on she usually finds wads of human TP, feces & (her favorite) disposable diapers. To be fair, around the CG she only finds cigarette butts, beer bottles, candy wrappers, gum & the occasional windfall of assorted delights.

Regardless, this biting thing really got her going. She is even beginning to give me some strange looks. Seems she " Goggled" the stats for dogs put down every year. Man, who she used to consider her "best friend", was responsible for around 6 million shelter terminations last year. An additional 15-20 million of her canine friends lost their lives to neglect, abuse, car accidents, etc.

I tried to settle her down, but she has got pretty worked-up over this situation. She was on the phone to her lawyer for several hours & blogging for several hours more. Sooooooo...,as heads-up to all you dog owners, I would suggest you restrict their computer & Internet access for a few days until this thing blows over.... there's talk of a sit down strike!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #120

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the heads up. I just hid Rockys and Cookies Kindle Fire. Now if Murray and Panda (cats) will just keep quiet we won't have a problem. They were just reading this over my shoulder.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Far be it from me to disagree , but the thread topic is "DOGS." I believe that would include barking, leashes, biting, licking, or kissing.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Far be it from me to disagree , but the thread topic is "DOGS." I believe that would include barking, leashes, biting, licking, or kissing.
There is always those that will attempt to try to hijack the thread and try to lead it in another direction.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Old 06-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
If the shoe fits
Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #125
Pnr

Doggie poo on my lawn chair or shoe ruins my day !! Woof woof bark bark ruins my day or nite !!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #126

Question:
Is a u realy a 6 foot dog leash?
Answer:
No
Reason: Its a 20 foot leash that can be wound in to 6 feet.
Does it meet the 6 foot leash rule;
No
Why;
If I have a 20 foot piece of rope tied to my dog that I can shorten to 6 feet any time; is that a 6 foot leash?
Answer:
No
Question:
Why do all the dog owners that use a u realy think that the don't have to obey the 6 foot leash rule?
Now:
Let the flameng begin