Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #155

Like they say, There's always that 10% that ruin things for others...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #156

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
Like they say, There's always that 10% that ruin things for others...
X2!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #157

I'd have to say that in 30+ years of traveling around, I've seen a lot more mess, litter, damage, disturbance and grief caused by ill-mannered children than by dogs.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I'd have to say that in 30+ years of traveling around, I've seen a lot more mess, litter, damage, disturbance and grief caused by ill-mannered children than by dogs.
I:ve never been bitten by a child; (I have by a dog)
I:ve never tramped in poop that was left by a child; ( Ive tramped in poop left by a dog)
I:ve never had to listen to a barking child that was left in a camper all day; (Ive listened to a barking dog all day that was left in a camper all day)
Ive never had a child come in my campsite, lift his leg and pee on my camper tires. (I:ve had a dog do this).
Thats enough, I:ll stop here.
Theres no ill manered dogs; only dog owners that don't no how to teach their dogs manners.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #159

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
I:ve never been bitten by a child; (I have by a dog) I have been bitten by children several times
I:ve never tramped in poop that was left by a child; ( Ive tramped in poop left by a dog) I did step in a poopy diaper left on the floor once
I:ve never had to listen to a barking child that was left in a camper all day; (Ive listened to a barking dog all day that was left in a camper all day) Me either!
Ive never had a child come in my campsite, lift his leg and pee on my camper tires. (I:ve had a dog do this). I have been pee'd on by a child, while changing his diapers.....
Thats enough, I:ll stop here.
Theres no ill manered dogs; only dog owners that don't no how to teach their dogs manners.
I agree! But some dogs just wanna be dogs I guess!
Old 08-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #160

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
It works for both kids and dogs. The parent(s) or dog owner make the difference. Last night we had pizza & beers on our deck with friends and neighbors. Our neighbors and dear friends had their grandson that their daughter thought would be a good idea to have with no decent job, no husband and nowhere to live. He was a giant PIA. She is about 8 months into #2, different guy and same circumstances. Kind of ruined the thing until she got there and dragged him off screaming.

During this our 2 mutts just laid down hoping something might fall off the table. They are always on a leash and picked up after BTW.

I figure if it lives and breathes a certain percentage of whatever it is will be a PIA usually because of how it was raised.

There seems to be a large amount of RVers that own dogs. Hopefully the ones we all meet will be responsible but there still is that small percentage. Thing is if you don't like dogs and want to RV it would be best to find CGs that don't allow them (good luck with that), get used to it or just slit your own wrists now and get it over with
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #161

Great post Jack1234, thanks, I believe you said it all

You know what's great about living in an RV? If you don't like your neighbors ( or their dogs) then move. Simply said.
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
There seems to be a large amount of RVers that own dogs. Hopefully the ones we all meet will be responsible but there still is that small percentage. Thing is if you don't like dogs and want to RV it would be best to find CGs that don't allow them (good luck with that), get used to it or just slit your own wrists now and get it over with

I love dog owners with a good sense of humor.

I have to say, I think the dog owners (lovers) on here out way the dog haters 10:1
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #163

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess I'm just not worth knowing. I have no desire to own a dog or cat. I like dogs and cats, I just prefer not to live with animals!

Every time I see a dog licking its owners face, I wonder where it just licked prior to that!

burfurd
Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #164

I've not read all the posts but there are many good points being made. The most significant is that it is not the dogs but the owners that are the problem.

There is a ton of information available on dog behavior, training and how to communicate with your animal so there is no excuse. It is not a big effort to have a well trained dog but it needs to be made.

Owning an animal is a commitment and it seems too few people really understand what that means so the dog suffers. For one thing they are pack animals you better be the alpha or everyone suffers.

When I see people screaming at their dogs and the dog just ignores them it is a real indication of the persons lack of understanding and IMHO they should not even own a dog. Dogs are usually not hard of hearing.

We are fortunate that we live where most of our neighbors do make the effort so dogs run off leash in the forest and play. It is the visitors with untrained dogs that are the problem.

Sorry about the disjointed rant but people who do not make the effort, including friends, really annoy me hence this post hit me before I've had enough coffee.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfurd View Post
I guess I'm just not worth knowing. I have no desire to own a dog or cat. I like dogs and cats, I just prefer not to live with animals!

Every time I see a dog licking its owners face, I wonder where it just licked prior to that!

burfurd
I think you are demonstrating good judgement in all respects. Good for you.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Our neighbors and dear friends had their grandson that their daughter thought would be a good idea to have with no decent job, no husband and nowhere to live....
It looks like they did a poor job if raising her.

Quote:
Thing is if you don't like dogs and want to RV it would be best to find CGs that don't allow them (good luck with that), get used to it or just slit your own wrists now and get it over with
Or keep reporting the campers who fail to pick up after their dogs and who allow them to bark for hours or let them run loose. A can of PepperSpray would also come in handy.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr

It looks like they did a poor job if raising her.

Or keep reporting the campers who fail to pick up after their dogs and who allow them to bark for hours or let them run loose. A can of PepperSpray would also come in handy.
I'm curious....under "what" circumstance or situation are you advocating the use of pepper spray?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #168
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Okay.....I read through all 12 pages. I love animals and have had a dog since I was five. We had two labs, one pet and one working dog until last year. We loved our dogs, but never took them camping. It was too much work and really limits your ability to do outdoor activites since dogs are RESTRICTED from most trails.

Those who are defending their pets so rigorously seem to think that the others hate pets and have never owned any. That's not true, we just don't elect to take them camping.

What's really, I mean REALLY sad are those that compare their pets to human beings (like children). I don't care if you sleep with your pet and the two of you are intimate, it's not a human being and shouldn't be compared to children in a campground. It terrible to see someone making a comparison to a child here! Part of the problem with the BAD pet owners (no one from here) is they treat them like a human being rather than a pet.

When I started camping 38 years ago, you never saw anyone bring their pet. As society started becoming anti-social and campers quit talking to one another, they started holding up in their RV's with their pets like gunman. Only coming out to walk Sparky. How about leaving Sparky home and coming out to talk to your neighbors. You may find that even though people don't like your dog pooping at their door step, they can be friendly.

By the way, those of you who say your dog never barks because you shush it everytime it does when someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does when someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does when someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does when someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does when someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does when someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does someone walks by and then you shush it everytime it does when someone walks by.....you get the point.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote