Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #1

dogs

as we have traveled from Mn to Alaska, stopping in many campgrounds, and boondocking, I would like to vent a bit. It seems that there are only a few that travel without dogs, and that is fine for those choosing to. It would be nice if dog owners would clean up after their pets. No matter where we stopped we had to tip toe through dog poop. I saw one man at a rest stop, let his dog out to run, feed and water, then wait for him to do his business. The dog did, he put him back in the truck and left. Every rest stop, picnic area and campground. I am tired of it. Please, please clean up so others are not left with crap on their shoes. Hard for kids to play in these areas. Have some courtesy
tkolson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Welcome to IRV2. Sorry you have had a bad experience with dogs. We have been to many campgrounds and rest areas and find most people do pick up after their dogs. We are currently working at a campground and have only found one pile that an owner did not pick up. There will always be people who do not show courtesy for others, but that doesn't make all dog owners the bad guy. Hope you have better luck as you continue your journey. Safe travels.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #3

We travel with a cat. He is my buddy & no one ever steps in his pooooo or has to listen to him when we are away. I'm just so tired of listening to dogs with owners which seem to be clueless as to how disturbing their dogs are.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #4

Hi tkolson3,

I have a similar mindset to yours regarding this issue. It's aggravating to see pet owners not cleanup after their pets.

On a visit to a campground around 15 years ago, a young couple near my space had a large dog. The dog seemed friendly and mellow, never made a sound. The couple even seemed level-headed and mature. However, I noticed that when they walked their dog inside the CG they never picked up after it. This big dog had big poop, so it was very noticeable! One time they let their dog pee on another camper's barbecue, another time on the corner of a tent.

A day or two later I offered the couple some waste bags, as well as an extra leash I no longer used. (They often let the dog out with no leash, too.) I was very friendly and non-accusatory when I spoke with them. Well, they yelled and swore at me, and said I was threatening to have them tossed from the CG. Their response and "tantrum" caught me off guard, so I just said "have a nice day" and walked away. I later learned that another person (or persons) had already "reported" the couple to the CG staff, and that the CG staff had spoken to the couple about picking up the dog's waste and using a leash.

Long and short is that I no longer say anything to anyone about picking up after his/her pet. If someone asks to borrow a waste bag I'll gladly give them a few. If I see any poop when I'm out walking my dog I'll pick it up. If I witness someone letting their dog pee or poop on someone's stuff, I'll tell the CG staff. If I see a dog without a leash when I'm back home, I'll call the county's animal services.

Cleaning up after a pet is fundamental to being a responsible pet owner. Same thing with using a leash. Sadly, some people are inconsiderate and don't care how their actions affect others. I know this issue isn't as serious as nuclear war, but it does reflect a decline in basic manners and courtesy and that, I believe, IS important.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #5

I know dogs like to go camping. I had a dog took her
camping all the time. but she did not bark at ever person
that walked by or when anybody opened there rv door.
And I picked up after her.
She was 18 years old when she died a few years ago.
No new dog when we go rving we like to site see,with a
dog that is hard.would not want to leave the dog at
the trailer alone not fare.
I think a good place for dogs to go camping is,WM.
They can poop on the blacktop easy to see,easy to pick up.
and they could bark all they want.
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
You know, if you look for crap, you'll find it. I dislike seeing cigarette butts everywhere, but I don't let other people's piggish behavior ruin my day. The same people that don't clean up after their dogs probably are the ones that throw down butts, fast food wrappers, and even dirty diapers. You're complaint on this forum probably won't reach the people that need to hear it, they can't read.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #7

Well I don't smoke, and have not seen piles of cigarettes, and if a child steps on a cigarette butt it won't ruin their shoes. No one should litter anything. Thank you
tkolson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with you. I hate it when dog owners do not clean up after their dogs. I have a dog and do clean up after him. And all of my friends also do. But you always have those who do not clean up after either their dogs and themselves Do not judge all dog owners by the few that are not reasonable owners.
Sightseer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree about people being nasty with the dog poop and litter. If you have dogs, pick up after them or leave them home with someone. No, I am not a dog hater, I have four and I have somebody take care of them at home.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
This is a problem at the beach, as well. People let their dogs off leash and run wild. We've had them run up from behind and almost take your feet out or run full speed and squeeze between us.

My husband and I walk in our town at lunch. In a certain block, there is always dog poo on the sidewalk. This is disgusting. We usually end up walking in the street to miss the poo. I am sure passing cars wonder why we aren't walking on the sidewalk.

Sue
Old 05-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I own a retail store. We have nice grassy swales to absorb the run off from our parking lot. Way too many dog owners think that grass is the place that their dogs need in order to poop.

How disgusting

In our case it is even more rude because there is plenty of overgrown, weed covered space that the dog could use with no problem.

This is a dog owner problem. The dogs don't know any better but at least I would hope that the dog owner would know better.

In my dreams I see myself mowing our grassy swales, running over a dog poop, and that dog poop flying out of the mower into the vehicle of the dog owner that let their dog poop in our lawn without picking it up.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
Commercial Member

when ever i check into a campground, and the owner goes over the pet rules with me, first i insure him that we do pick up after our dog. we have traveled all 48 lower states and not one state has any of our litter left behind.
the next thing i ask him, is if he enforces his rules. including leash laws.normally he will get indignant, but i ask him if i go out around his grounds, if i will find dog crap.
all ask is that the rules be enforced. you see all kinds of litter, trash, pee bottles, cigarette butts, and dog crap at rest stops, truck stops, and campgrounds. i do my part. i can only hope others do theirs.
a side note is that campground owners normally arent aware, but they are subject to county leash laws,for all animals, just like any other business. i cant tell you how many dogs have come out growling and barking at us as we walk thru the campground. i simply tell the owner my lawyer would be delighted to make his aquaintance.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We travel with two dogs and large supply of poop bags. If I see a dog owner let chipset leave a landmine, I have no problem offering them a spare bag.

Now another gripe is smokers leaving leaving their butts and wrappers in the fire ring.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #14

Are you complaining about rv people or just dogs in general. Dogs arent the problem, people are.

My wife and I just came off a trip to Ohio and back and not one KOA or campsite have an issue with dog poop. WE assume everyone picked up after their dogs.

Now if you are complaining about a rest area off the interstate that is a different story. We stopped at plenty and the only place we found dog poop was in the thorny deep grass loaded with stickers and briars for the use of dogs.

What we have discovered is that the people that create the rest areas, have no respect for animals or their owners.

No time did we find alot of dog poop on the green grass reserved for picnicers' and rest area royalty.

As an adjunct to this, does anyone wonder what those bottles with yellow fluid are along the freeway? We clean up after our pets, its too bad there are those that dont clean up after themselves.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote