Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #57

We have a nice 2 acre fenced yard here at home. The wife picks up poop every day from our 2 Great Danes... Just to keep our yard clean... There is NO DOUBT "WE" pick up poop wherever we camp,,, we don't like others poop any more than anyone else... The main reason we got our mh is to travel with our "kids" ... Always on a leash,,, If they bark,,, then I'll be looking,,, because there could be "problem humans" .....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 11:30 PM   #58

I do not walk my dogs regularly. Actually, i can't remember the last time I took mine for a walk.
Of course they work 40+ hours a week training other dogs, and we do go a lot of places, and they are rarely on a leash.
Not walking them does not make anyone a bad owner, it may mean they are already active enough that they do not need a walk.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #59

This is precisely why dogs should be kept on a leash, and always supervised around children. This is what happened to me, so my fear of big dogs is not remotely "irrational". I just request that owners keep their dogs away from ME. Texas girl Kinley Golden suffers stroke after vicious attack by grandparent's dog | Daily Mail Online
DesertLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:16 PM   #60

Quote:
If camping is so bad that every little thing bothers you, maybe it's time to take up sailing!
Common factor is always people - the ones who own the dogs and kids, get drunk and fight and play loud music and drive loud cars (and idle them for 20 minutes every morning).

But of course it is one person's divine right to act irresponsibly and inconsiderately and then expect 50 others to display a saintly amount of tolerance. Probably enshrined in the constitution somewhere.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:59 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhaus View Post
Guess I feel sorry for any dog you have owned in the last 40 years if you never took them for walks.
But then some people chain them to trees and call themselves pet owners.
And if you do a little research, I'm sure you will find that it is advised to walk or exercise your dog daily.
You sir sound like a real treat to camp next to.
I think you all are completely misunderstanding my statement. I did not say I didn't take them for walks, just that regular walks are not required.
I have had hunting dogs, herding and assorted working dogs. All are very healthy and get lots of exercise. The walk you give them is hardly exercise... they need to run and play and be given challenges to keep them physically and mentally fit.

Dogs are sprinters, not walkers or endurance runners (joggers).

I don't go camping to enjoy your company or the company of your dogs. I go to be with my family and my dogs. Sorry if that offends anyone.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Sure, take a stroll around the campgroud with your dog. No problem. I'll do that too.
But pacing up and down the road 3-4 times a day giving me the stink-eye is not ok.
And the notion that dogs need to be walked is nonsense. I've had many dogs for over 40 years and never take them on regular walks. I do like walking them, but not because they need it.

Bwah ha ha ha! You are kidding right?
At home we don't have to walk them because we have 24 acres to enjoy. But just because we go camping doesn't mean the dog has to go sedentary! Nor does it mean that we can let her go just like at home! That just isn't safe for anyone. I'm sure I missed the point somewhere.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #63

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
Rickeoni,
With due respect so I do not come across as unpleasant , most comments were opinions regarding dogs in campgrounds. Speaking for myself, I DO NOT hate everything or get aggravated easily , I love camping , meeting new people , their families , helping others with their MH's or whatever if my assistance is required.
If a group is having fun late at night or kids are running around yelling and getting crazy, great ! life is short have fun. And i don't like the water.
my post was not meant to offend is any way, and I appologize if it came across that way. The point that I was trying to make was live and let live. We raised 5 kids and went camping often, while we tried our best to keep them behaving responsibly, I am sure that more than a few times we irked our camping neighbours. Now that they are grown we preffer to camp on quieter places and seek those out. I read too many people talk on these forums about what is wrong with camping, the offenders don't know about manners, camping, driving, shopping or anywhere.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #64

My 2 year old Austrailian Border Whippet (Austrailian cattle dog x border collie x whippet mix) has to be walked unless I don't mind her going crazy zooming around inside the camper at 10 PM.

And I do mind.

Plus I adore her. She is my registered emotional support dog and she gets me up and moving. It's good for both of us.

I don't use zip line leashes. She stays with me. I stay on the road.

I'll have a talk with her if I catch her giving you the stink eye again... I'm sure she will have much to add to the conversation.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #65

We have three hunting dogs -- Cairn Terriers. Yes, they are hunters of small game (rats/squirrels/prairie dogs/rabbits). Generally they only bark if they are "watching TV" (otherwise known as looking out the window) in parks where there's enough space for game (which tend not to be parks where you are parked right next to folks).

Even so, we don't let them bark much when we are in the rig, and when we're gone, they are in crates, which they know are their sleep/nap locations, so they are quiet when they are in there.

As far as walking, we do it because it's good for all of us. But of course we clean up. As far as folks that feel their space is inviolable -- it's an RV park. Really. If you want a place that's private get land, fence it in. Otherwise, face it...RV parks are fairly communal.

Just sayin...

Steve
Old 11-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Dog, a lot of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
I think you all are completely misunderstanding my statement. I did not say I didn't take them for walks, just that regular walks are not required.
I have had hunting dogs, herding and assorted working dogs. All are very healthy and get lots of exercise. The walk you give them is hardly exercise... they need to run and play and be given challenges to keep them physically and mentally fit.

Dogs are sprinters, not walkers or endurance runners (joggers).

I don't go camping to enjoy your company or the company of your dogs. I go to be with my family and my dogs. Sorry if that offends anyone.

I see you are ok with taking your dogs camping but you object to anyone else going camping with their dogs...pretty one way if you ask me. When living in a community you have to make accommodation for those living around you. I once had a couple who lived in the apartment below mine who objected to me walking on my floors at all...unreasonable expectation on their part as I don't know how to levitate. If you expect a dog not to bark at all or to not urinate or defecate when there is opportunity then you have an unreasonable expectation. On the other hand if you expect an owner to minimize the barking and to pick up after their pet then that would be a more reasonable expectation. We are a land of liberty, responsibility, and freedom let us respect each other and with Veterans Day approaching let us take pause and remember all who have served.
Devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #67

Sadly, some humans just aren't smart enough to own a pet.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:05 AM   #68

What cracks me up is seeing people out walking, and their dog is in a stroller. What's the deal with that?
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #69

Freightliner Owners Club
We have an older dog and for a period of time she was unable to walk very far. The stroller allowed us to take her to the pet area and also go for walks with her when we didn't want to leave her alone.

That's what's up with that
Old 11-13-2017, 03:56 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Personally... I believe that the "number" issue should apply to the human children. Not the furry faced children.
Totally agree
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote