Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #15

I am on the road 5/6 months a year and the largest reason I leave a campground is barking dogs, usually small ones who's owners pet them when they bark thus reinforcing bad behavior. I live in NYC in a high rise building with my boxer/pittie mix. I spend lots of both time and money (trainers) socializing and nurturing her and do not tolerate bad behavior. She rides in the elevator and sits. When we walk I will not let her meet/greet a excited dog or will not let her meet if she's excited.
I take responsibility and hate it when others don't. I a travel alone and crate her when I leave and she stays happy there. She rarely ever make a sound.
I also don't think breeds should be excluded from a campground, the owners should.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #16

On the behalf of all, I wish to thank those of you who do take responsibility for your pets. Unfortunately, it is a large minority who are slackers. I recently observed, in a very nice adult park, an owner letting his dog deficate on the artificial turf that had 3 signs stating that the area was not a pet area. Signage clearly indicated the area across the street was. He sure glared at me when I commented (loudly) to my wife that it must be a seeing eye dog. I do wish owners would realize that pets left alone bark more often than not. I do wish owners would realize that a cute little statue I (used) to display in front of the rig is not your dog's urinal. I do wish owners would understand that I have no desire to pet your dog & do not want it close enough to be sniffing me. And if it barks at me, realize that telling it to stop in a warm adoring voice isn't telling it to stop. Incidentally prior to hitting the road, I used to own the best German Shepards I could locate. Always 2 at a time. I love dogs. Some of the owners, on the other hand, need a shocker collar.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
That said, my dogs stay in my space. I think (other than yapping, noisy dogs) the worst part of camping with dogs are the owners that insist on walking their dog past my campsite 3 times a day. I just find that rude. You want to camp with your pet, fine... just consider that other campers and people out walking are not interested in your pet. The only time you might hear my dogs is when someone walks their dog past my site.
I don't understand your comment. Do you object to people walking their dogs on the sidewalk and going by your house? If not then what's the difference walking down the camp road going by other campers?
Old 10-14-2015, 03:50 AM   #18

This is a very good thread, thanks for posting! How should pet owners that have constantly barking dogs be approached if they are causing a nuisance? Speak to them, or to the manager? What would you politely say to the pet owners? If you've had a problem in the past, how did you deal with it? I am not a pet owner, and like my peace and quiet.
DesertLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:06 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We travel with two Bassets, they're lovers and people usually are drawn to them. The only barking is if one feels the other one is getting more attention.

Barry and Pat, RVM114
TGA2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLass View Post
How should pet owners that have constantly barking dogs be approached if they are causing a nuisance? Speak to them, or to the manager? What would you politely say to the pet owners? If you've had a problem in the past, how did you deal with it? I am not a pet owner, and like my peace and quiet.
If it's constantly barking for some reason - owner absence, rodents, noisy kids - I talk to the owner about it. I express sympathy for all the stress the owner (and/or dog) are going through, just to be sure the dog owner understands the barking is a problem. I am a dog owner and am comfortable discussing dogs and their behavior.

If the dog barks constantly for no apparent reason, or the owner in the previous example doesn't respond favorably, I would notify the manager.

However, dog owners can be quite defensive. In your case, as a non-dog person, it might be better to just notify park mgt.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:57 AM   #21

Thank you kindly for your answer, Okiedoke! I wasn't sure how to handle this.
DesertLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
I don't understand your comment. Do you object to people walking their dogs on the sidewalk and going by your house? If not then what's the difference walking down the camp road going by other campers?
If it's once, no. If it's 3 times a day, yes.
Because people are selfish, generally. They don't pick up after their dogs unless someone is watching or it's their own yard.
I can't count the number of times I've run my mower over a piece of dried dog crap out by the sidewalk and inhaled the lovely dust.
And then they have the gal to give me the stink-eye when my dogs bark at them, when they are the ones encroaching on our area.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:51 AM   #23
IC2

As the last thread on dogs a few months ago, some very good responses along with some that are ........ curmudgeonly.

We camp/RV from first warm weather to about as cool as we can stand and with our two show quality mini (mid size) poodle pups that are our late kids and pets not on some circuit. They attract lots of attention and love it as do we as they are ice breakers to meet new friends. They are always well behaved and yes, they do occasionally bark a couple times, especially the 4 year old, but only while on our site. They do not bark for recreation as some dogs will but to either greet or warn and never continuously. As far as walking them, we do that a minimum of 3 times a day and often more - they need the exercise as much or more then we do plus they don't have the ability to use a flush toilet. Yes, they may piddle a small spot on a corner of your site, especially if you have a pup too - it's called pee mail. They will not poop on your site though @#$% has happened before we could react - and it is immediately picked up to the best of our ability. My apologies, if it happened to you and by our pups.

We do not appreciate a continuously yapping dog and have left CGs when it continued after appealing to the dog owner then the park manager.

We have never left a CG or complained because of kids having fun - that's what they do. Adults having way too much 'fun' at 0 Dark Thirty, absolutely.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:10 AM   #24

We have 3 large dogs; a lab/rot, collie mix, & a husky/shepherd.
Somehow they've learned campground etiquette. 😉 They never bark, they'll watch other people or dogs, but know what they're doing isn't any of their business.
We very frequently get complements on their behavior. Recently we camped next to an older couple who told us they thought Oh no when they first seen our dogs come out of our motorhome. They said it soon switched to enjoyment in watching them!
😊😊
BarkerLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:39 AM   #25

wow. I've never ran into this type of behavior while camping.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:46 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have three small Shih-Tzu babies that travel with us everywhere. Mostly they are well behaved. However, they do bark when you walk past the window, especially if you are walking your dog.

Honestly, that is what I expect them to do.

If we are in the coach, we can calm them down rather quickly, and they will just whine and low level growl.

They have never been a problem for us, or other RV'ers.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:11 AM   #27

THREE dogs? Is that all?

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #28

I know its a free country but I think two dogs is pushing it. Bringing three + dogs to a campground is turning the place into a kennel. And I do mind if fluffy takes a dump on my rented space. If you have a rolling kennel go camp in the sticks...........the dogs will love it. Had GSD's all my life , not a dog hater.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote