Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2015, 10:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
If it's once, no. If it's 3 times a day, yes.
Because people are selfish, generally. They don't pick up after their dogs unless someone is watching or it's their own yard.
I can't count the number of times I've run my mower over a piece of dried dog crap out by the sidewalk and inhaled the lovely dust.
And then they have the gal to give me the stink-eye when my dogs bark at them, when they are the ones encroaching on our area.
First, people that don't pickup after their dogs are a problem. Where we live the city has an ordinance that not picking up after your dog can get you fined which is as it should be.

When it comes to people walking their dogs I have to totally disagree with you. The streets and sidewalks are public space and everyone has the right to use them even while walking their dogs no matter how many times a day. If a home owner has a problem with that then that's just too bad. They can get just get over it.

Same for walking a dog in an RV park. Unless the park has rules that you can't or only can using specific routed then you have to accept that. If the owner doesn't pick up after their dogs then they should be fined and/or ask to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
I know its a free country but I think two dogs is pushing it. Bringing three + dogs to a campground is turning the place into a kennel. And I do mind if fluffy takes a dump on my rented space. If you have a rolling kennel go camp in the sticks...........the dogs will love it. Had GSD's all my life , not a dog hater.
I can understand you're position but I think it has a lot to do with the owner and their dogs. For some people three or more may work but generally for 90+% I thing two is enough to take with you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #30

One small yapping dog, or one large growiling with his hackles up, protecting"his space" which by the way is not his space it's a campground for all to share, is way worse than some one with 3+ dogs that are well mannered and don't bark, would I want to take 3 dogs camping, NO but who am I to judge what others call fun.
Seems like a lot of people get crabbier and less tolerant the older they get.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #31

Possibly.. however the more they cram more 'campers' into campgrounds, the less tolerant I've become. The spaces are getting tighter with each "remodel" and it makes a much bigger deal when little 'yappyazz' is 2 feet from your window.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
It's all about being a responsible owner.

I have two large Dobermans and camp with my dogs all the time. They are quiet, friendly and well behaved and well trained.

That said, my dogs stay in my space. I think (other than yapping, noisy dogs) the worst part of camping with dogs are the owners that insist on walking their dog past my campsite 3 times a day. I just find that rude. You want to camp with your pet, fine... just consider that other campers and people out walking are not interested in your pet. The only time you might hear my dogs is when someone walks their dog past my site.
Are you saying people should not walk their dogs around the camp loop on the road?

I think that is asking too much. Dogs need to be walked and it's a pleasurable thing to do. The road is for everyone.

I put up with people's kids riding bikes and scooters on the road past my site even though I don't care for it. I don't feel like I have the right to say it should not be allowed.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #33

love dogs, but wouldn't buy a used MH that had been cohabited by the fluffy little bundles of joy...just say'in
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #34

I love dogs, actually all animals. Last year at a campground in Fla. our neighbor was walking 4 small dogs on leashes and told my SO how cute. Next morning, again 4 small dogs on leashes, but different colors. Seeing his lady friend give dogs baths every night, I had to pay my neighbor a visit. They had a large tarpaulin outdoor room with many cages stacked, even their RV basement had cages. How they kept the dogs quiet, I don't know. (vocal cords missing, maybe) Nice people, guess we're not all retired. We eventually moved on. Different strokes.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #35

We were in an Alabama State Park once and there was a couple in a 24' travel trailer. It had been raining for days but every couple hours they were walking 2 German Shepherds at a time.....they had 6!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #36

As a campground owner for 32 years, we've had to deal with some dog issues. We believe that it's the owner's responsibility to keep their pets under reasonable control. We spend a lot of time outside in our campground and so we hear any dogs that are causing problems. No one needs to tell us and we like it that way. It doesn't put our campers in the awkward spot of having to complain. All dogs bark sometimes and that is just a part of being in any community but when it becomes too frequent, we will intervene. We tell our camper that his/her dogs can not continue to bark like that and they have to find a way to control their dogs or they will be required to make other arrangements for their pets. We also make a note on the computer for the next time they make a reservation. We ask them if they are bringing the same dogs and how they plan to keep the barking under control. I tell them they are welcome back as long as they keep their dogs under control but the responsibility is on them. They know in advance that we expect them to comply. This usually works.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #37

Are there places that they don't allow pets? Is there a way to find them? I was mauled by a dog as a child, so I don't want to deal with people's pets. Every time I encounter a large dog, I am paralyzed by fear. I hate it when owner say "Oh, but she's harmless". NOT at all to me!! I just hate it when someone pushes their pets on me when it's clear I want nothing to do with them. Not to mention all the barking.

I currently have a neighbor whose dog barks for HOURS every morning. Wakes me up and makes me miserable. I don't approach her about it, because her husband is terminally ill, and I don't want to stress her out over this. They're both very sweet people and going through a very hard time.

I'm also horribly allergic to cats and dogs, and cannot even stay in a place that has them, or has had them in the last six months, to get the dander/hairs out. When we rent our house out, I have to put a clause in the lease NO PETS, I cannot even clean the place if they've been in there.
DesertLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
THREE dogs? Is that all?

Cute, but that doesn't quite cut it for our 4 Springers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1436.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	540.3 KB
ID:	109789  
Old 10-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Cute, but that doesn't quite cut it for our 4 Springers.

And then there is the escape artist...
Ranger!
Hi Boyz
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1445101726.449085.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	109791

Hi Dave. I can get out of anything!
Old 10-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Attachment 109791

Hi Dave. I can get out of anything!

Ranger, you are my hero! (You look a tad guilty in the pic, but it's a good ploy. Go with it)
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
The province of Quebec has solved the dog problem NO DOGS ALLOWED! in provincial parks

If inconsiderate dog owners persist this may happen in some state parks here in the US

WHen I camped in Flamingo I gathered up a grocery bag of crap from my site and if the park people would have given me the name and address of the previous occupant I would have mailed it to them in one of those boxes 'if it fits it ships'.

We have a 75 pound choc lab that is well behaved but not really social with other dogs (she is a rescue dog) and I really do not appreciate other dogs on retractable leashes that 'just want to say hello' when my dog is up close at heel behaving herself.

I think we can all agree that dogs are really not a problem it's the owners
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote