Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #1

Dogs tied out on a long leash

Just took my dogs for a walk and a big dog on a 15ft plus leash comes out into the street barking and growling. The dog was 50lbs or better and my dogs are 11lbs. We could have tripped on the dogs leash or the dog could have bitten my dogs. The people just smiled as I said "you need a shorter leash" keep your dog out of the street. They could have cared less!! People like that will get dogs banned from campgrounds!!
What is wrong with people?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
Just took my dogs for a walk and a big dog on a 15ft plus leash comes out into the street barking and growling. The dog was 50lbs or better and my dogs are 11lbs. We could have tripped on the dogs leash or the dog could have bitten my dogs. The people just smiled as I said "you need a shorter leash" keep your dog out of the street. They could have cared less!! People like that will get dogs banned from campgrounds!!
What is wrong with people?
Some people are either oblivious, or ignorant. You were too nice to them. They need a dose of reality. I love my dogs and they are wonderful and friendly, but I keep them under control out of respect for people who may not feel the same about them.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Should have told the campground owner/manager. you don't need to be confrontational, they need to know if something else happens. Just my opinion, others may vary......
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
People also count of others to say nothing....and the behaviour continues. Something can be said politely that their dog is acting aggressively. What happens if the next target is a 3 year old. Yikes......Some people.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #5

Most campgrounds we've visited had a rule on leash length, usually 6 ft. We will put our dog on a longer leash (retractable or a 10 ft leash on the picnic table) but we reel him in when others are around and keep him controlled. Most people we've met are thoughtful with their dogs.
zdomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #6

I keep my dogs on a 6 foot leash, they play rough with each other and normally ignore other dogs and people. I got booted from a campground near Ottawa because someone walking past my site thought my dogs were too aggressive and complained to the campground manager. No big deal, pack up and leave until I found out I was blackballed from every campground within 50 miles of Ottawa.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #7

Never the dog's fault.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same here

We just left a campground where someone LEFT for the day and tied three lathe and untrained dogs to the table. They were gone at least 7 hours. The dogs barked at two things, everything and nothing.

We moved to another park and guess what? We're next door to someone who does the same damn thing! But this time it's two small dogs. Yip yip yip all day long.

Dogs tied up outside? If you don't want to deal with your dogs noise and habits why should we have to?

Some people shouldn't be allowed to have dogs.

OK, I'm done venting and I'm going to take my well behaved, well loved and quiet retrievers for a walk.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #9
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Just got back from my dogs walking me.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #10
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
More ignorant than arrogant
Old 07-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Same with folks who take their children to a restaurant and then let them run around - it is just like they were at home and ignoring the kids - probably gave them chocolate ice cream to boot.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:01 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
We just left a campground where someone LEFT for the day and tied three lathe and untrained dogs to the table. They were gone at least 7 hours. The dogs barked at two things, everything and nothing.

We moved to another park and guess what? We're next door to someone who does the same damn thing! But this time it's two small dogs. Yip yip yip all day long.

Dogs tied up outside? If you don't want to deal with your dogs noise and habits why should we have to?

Some people shouldn't be allowed to have dogs.

OK, I'm done venting and I'm going to take my well behaved, well loved and quiet retrievers for a walk.
had same in casa grande took them to office
Old 07-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
aw you guys are just being too thin skinned....be thankful they were on a leash at all!

But seriously, I've found that dogs are just one of those deals that you have to deal with when roaming around in an RV. By the time most people are old/mature enough to be hanging out in rv's, they're probably done learning any new manners, so even if you say something to them, they just don't get it.

The way we got our yellow lab is that some neighbor down the road didn't bother controlling him and I woke up one morning and he had come in through the dog door and was laying by the fireplace when I got up for work. I dropped him off at his house and 4 days later he was back. This time I kept him. Best dog ever.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #14

We will tie our dog out on a long leash when we are sitting outside, but we always take into account how close we are to the street and site next door and adjust the length accordingly. We usually give him just enough so he can move around from shade to sun, etc and only while we are out. I usually will take hold of the leash ( actually a horse lead rope) when I see people approach just to make sure he doesn't 'go visit'!
We are very conscientious as we also have been scarred when walking him from other dogs running out!
It is definitely not the dogs fault, but the owners!