Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Dometic Portable Refigerator/Freezer

I have been kicking around the idea of purchasing a portable freezer. I am geting tired of having to buy ice for my cooler over and over again. I thought that it would be convenient to have a portable fridge/freeze outsid eof our MH on a table to offer refreshments readily to all who want them instead of having them go inside the MH to go to the time refrigerator there. We have a 24' Winnebago. Does anyone else have this model? Do you like it? All feedback welcomed!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

This is not the model that i wnt. For some reason I can't give the link. My model is the Dometic model # 49, a much larger model.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #2

Can't vouch for this one but I have the CF18 (next size up) and can tell you it is is very good product. Runs on 12 VDC OR 120 VAC. can be used as a fridge or freezer. I actually have two that I can use if we are on an extended trip. I use one as the beer fridge and the other for a freezer.
I have them sitting in a slide out tray in the basement.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Can't vouch for this one but I have the CF18 (next size up) and can tell you it is is very good product. Runs on 12 VDC OR 120 VAC. can be used as a fridge or freezer. I actually have two that I can use if we are on an extended trip. I use one as the beer fridge and the other for a freezer.
I have them sitting in a slide out tray in the basement.
That is what I wanted to hear Dennis. That it is a good product. We will be using it for the same purposes that you are using yours for. For some reason or other the brand name Dometic made me think that it was going to be unreliable given all the complaints that I have read over the years regarding their refrigerators.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
YC1

We have the largest one on a slide out and absolutely love it. They cool fast and will freeze too if you want them to.

We have a Dometic refer side by side and use it full time. Going on eight years now. Only a couple of small issues on it. I would not hesitate to buy Dometic again.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
That is what I wanted to hear Dennis. That it is a good product. We will be using it for the same purposes that you are using yours for. For some reason or other the brand name Dometic made me think that it was going to be unreliable given all the complaints that I have read over the years regarding their refrigerators.
Unlike a lot of less expensive ones on the market, these portables have an actual compressor much like your residential fridge. They are not a toy.
As for Dometic, the fridge in our 2003 MH is the OEM and still going strong. Had one recall on it a few years ago that was done at No Charge by a dealer. If it quit tomorrow, it would not hesitate to replace it with a new Dometic.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Unlike a lot of less expensive ones on the market, these portables have an actual compressor much like your residential fridge. They are not a toy.
As for Dometic, the fridge in our 2003 MH is the OEM and still going strong. Had one recall on it a few years ago that was done at No Charge by a dealer. If it quit tomorrow, it would not hesitate to replace it with a new Dometic.
Good to hear! I think that I will go ahead and purchase it then. Thanks for your input!
Old 01-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
We have the largest one on a slide out and absolutely love it. They cool fast and will freeze too if you want them to.

We have a Dometic refer side by side and use it full time. Going on eight years now. Only a couple of small issues on it. I would not hesitate to buy Dometic again.
Glad that you are satisfied. I guess I was just looking for some positive reassurance before forking over over $600.00!
Old 01-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
We own one of these, and it is not the same as the Dometic RV refrigerators; it has a compressor and works like a residential fridge.

That said, these are not weatherproof and are not meant to be left out in the rain, etc. So you may want to rethink the purchase if you plan to leave the unit outdoors.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought the same version in the Norcold line for the same reason. Got tired of buying ice, etc. Here's the catch I bought it from Camping World in March 1984 (yes). I'm still using it (knock on wood). It's obviously served it's purpose quite well. It was the first thing I moved into the MH when we bought it a couple of years ago. I can guarantee that it has more than it's fair share of pop/beer - groceries refrigerated in it. It's been in 2 tt and a 5er., it may out last this ol' gator. I'd be lost without it!!!
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the 'truck fridge' brand and love it. I have had mine running for almost 2 years strait and saved me once when the coach fridge died. Truck fridge is cheaper, that but looks almost the same, has a compressor.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:28 AM   #11

Been using an Edgestar for over 5yrs. of full time and not one glitch. It's both 12v & 110.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #12

We have an Engel and use it strictly as a freezer. It on a slide out tray in the basement of our 5th wheel. It is well worth the price.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We own one of these, and it is not the same as the Dometic RV refrigerators; it has a compressor and works like a residential fridge.

That said, these are not weatherproof and are not meant to be left out in the rain, etc. So you may want to rethink the purchase if you plan to leave the unit outdoors.
Wow, I never considered that. I most certainly was going to leave it out doors. I suppose it would be okay if it were under the awning, no?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:36 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
I bought the same version in the Norcold line for the same reason. Got tired of buying ice, etc. Here's the catch I bought it from Camping World in March 1984 (yes). I'm still using it (knock on wood). It's obviously served it's purpose quite well. It was the first thing I moved into the MH when we bought it a couple of years ago. I can guarantee that it has more than it's fair share of pop/beer - groceries refrigerated in it. It's been in 2 tt and a 5er., it may out last this ol' gator. I'd be lost without it!!!
LOL! Really glad to hear that it served its purpose well for you, and of its longevity. You have convinced me to just go ahead and buy it. Thanks!

Tags
dometic