Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Horizonchase's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 649
Dometic Portable Refigerator/Freezer

I have been kicking around the idea of purchasing a portable freezer. I am geting tired of having to buy ice for my cooler over and over again. I thought that it would be convenient to have a portable fridge/freeze outsid eof our MH on a table to offer refreshments readily to all who want them instead of having them go inside the MH to go to the time refrigerator there. We have a 24' Winnebago. Does anyone else have this model? Do you like it? All feedback welcomed!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

This is not the model that i wnt. For some reason I can't give the link. My model is the Dometic model # 49, a much larger model.
__________________

__________________
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 6,441
Can't vouch for this one but I have the CF18 (next size up) and can tell you it is is very good product. Runs on 12 VDC OR 120 VAC. can be used as a fridge or freezer. I actually have two that I can use if we are on an extended trip. I use one as the beer fridge and the other for a freezer.
I have them sitting in a slide out tray in the basement.
__________________

__________________
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Horizonchase's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Can't vouch for this one but I have the CF18 (next size up) and can tell you it is is very good product. Runs on 12 VDC OR 120 VAC. can be used as a fridge or freezer. I actually have two that I can use if we are on an extended trip. I use one as the beer fridge and the other for a freezer.
I have them sitting in a slide out tray in the basement.
That is what I wanted to hear Dennis. That it is a good product. We will be using it for the same purposes that you are using yours for. For some reason or other the brand name Dometic made me think that it was going to be unreliable given all the complaints that I have read over the years regarding their refrigerators.
__________________
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
YC1
Senior Member
 
YC1's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,555
We have the largest one on a slide out and absolutely love it. They cool fast and will freeze too if you want them to.

We have a Dometic refer side by side and use it full time. Going on eight years now. Only a couple of small issues on it. I would not hesitate to buy Dometic again.
__________________
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 6,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
That is what I wanted to hear Dennis. That it is a good product. We will be using it for the same purposes that you are using yours for. For some reason or other the brand name Dometic made me think that it was going to be unreliable given all the complaints that I have read over the years regarding their refrigerators.
Unlike a lot of less expensive ones on the market, these portables have an actual compressor much like your residential fridge. They are not a toy.
.
As for Dometic, the fridge in our 2003 MH is the OEM and still going strong. Had one recall on it a few years ago that was done at No Charge by a dealer. If it quit tomorrow, it would not hesitate to replace it with a new Dometic.
__________________
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Horizonchase's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Unlike a lot of less expensive ones on the market, these portables have an actual compressor much like your residential fridge. They are not a toy.
.
As for Dometic, the fridge in our 2003 MH is the OEM and still going strong. Had one recall on it a few years ago that was done at No Charge by a dealer. If it quit tomorrow, it would not hesitate to replace it with a new Dometic.
Good to hear! I think that I will go ahead and purchase it then. Thanks for your input!
__________________
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Horizonchase's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
We have the largest one on a slide out and absolutely love it. They cool fast and will freeze too if you want them to.

We have a Dometic refer side by side and use it full time. Going on eight years now. Only a couple of small issues on it. I would not hesitate to buy Dometic again.
Glad that you are satisfied. I guess I was just looking for some positive reassurance before forking over over $600.00!
__________________
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
SarahW's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a lawnchair
Posts: 11,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
That is what I wanted to hear Dennis. That it is a good product. We will be using it for the same purposes that you are using yours for. For some reason or other the brand name Dometic made me think that it was going to be unreliable given all the complaints that I have read over the years regarding their refrigerators.
We own one of these, and it is not the same as the Dometic RV refrigerators; it has a compressor and works like a residential fridge.

That said, these are not weatherproof and are not meant to be left out in the rain, etc. So you may want to rethink the purchase if you plan to leave the unit outdoors.
__________________
.2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
98FPA's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sunrise In Central Nebraska
Posts: 578
I bought the same version in the Norcold line for the same reason. Got tired of buying ice, etc. Here's the catch I bought it from Camping World in March 1984 (yes). I'm still using it (knock on wood). It's obviously served it's purpose quite well. It was the first thing I moved into the MH when we bought it a couple of years ago. I can guarantee that it has more than it's fair share of pop/beer - groceries refrigerated in it. It's been in 2 tt and a 5er., it may out last this ol' gator. I'd be lost without it!!!
__________________
Ken in Nebraska
98 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, 35U
97 Ford F53 chassis
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
DDDonkey's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 450
I have the 'truck fridge' brand and love it. I have had mine running for almost 2 years strait and saved me once when the coach fridge died. Truck fridge is cheaper, that but looks almost the same, has a compressor.
__________________
2008 National SurfSide 34E (Bunk Model) Ford V10
Sold- 1990 Hawkins Chevy P30 454
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:28 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Ramets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 2,364
Been using an Edgestar for over 5yrs. of full time and not one glitch. It's both 12v & 110.
__________________
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:01 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,033
We have an Engel and use it strictly as a freezer. It on a slide out tray in the basement of our 5th wheel. It is well worth the price.
__________________
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Horizonchase's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We own one of these, and it is not the same as the Dometic RV refrigerators; it has a compressor and works like a residential fridge.

That said, these are not weatherproof and are not meant to be left out in the rain, etc. So you may want to rethink the purchase if you plan to leave the unit outdoors.
Wow, I never considered that. I most certainly was going to leave it out doors. I suppose it would be okay if it were under the awning, no?
__________________
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:36 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Horizonchase's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
I bought the same version in the Norcold line for the same reason. Got tired of buying ice, etc. Here's the catch I bought it from Camping World in March 1984 (yes). I'm still using it (knock on wood). It's obviously served it's purpose quite well. It was the first thing I moved into the MH when we bought it a couple of years ago. I can guarantee that it has more than it's fair share of pop/beer - groceries refrigerated in it. It's been in 2 tt and a 5er., it may out last this ol' gator. I'd be lost without it!!!
LOL! Really glad to hear that it served its purpose well for you, and of its longevity. You have convinced me to just go ahead and buy it. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dometic



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dometic Portable Ice Maker Doggy Daddy iRV2.com General Discussion 27 06-02-2017 08:30 PM
Dometic A/C Thermostat Replacement Problems tredavon2100 RV Systems & Appliances 5 10-29-2015 12:53 AM
Chest Size Dometic Portable Refrigerator/Freezer SarahW Gear and Product Discussions 8 09-17-2015 06:17 AM
Newmar, Dometic & Insurers - Is this the Scam? Zak Newmar Owner's Forum 9 08-14-2015 07:27 AM
Dometic Brisk II Air Conditioner 15,000 BTU adonh RV Systems & Appliances 4 06-27-2013 03:54 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.