Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #1

Dometic refrigerator not getting cold enough?

We are trying to get our fridge to work. Freezer is at 0, but fridge is staying at 40. Not sure if we can go camping today or not. Any ideas? It's set on propane right now. Thank you.
6jsgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think anything would spoil at 40, but the problem is when you keep opening the door to get things out the temp will go up! We like to keep ours between 35 and 38.

You may have a ventilation problem behind the fridge. I fought that problem for a long time before getting it solved. Below is what made the biggest difference.

Look at my post #25. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/fridg...-218996-2.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:08 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How long has it been turned on?

I turn ours on 24 hours before I put anything in it and I don't put any warm things inside. I prechill all drinks, etc.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
How long has it been turned on?

I turn ours on 24 hours before I put anything in it and I don't put any warm things inside. I prechill all drinks, etc.
x2
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #5

If it's a 4-door model, like the 1350 in our old Alpine check that the flap on the left refer door that allows the right door to seal is fully deployed. I fought ours for about 2 years, including several trips to the dealer - "No problem found." Last fall on our way south I thought to check and I pulled the flap closed - problem solved. Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:34 PM   #6

You don't say what make, model, year your coach is but I'll take a shot in the dark here.
Inside your fridge is an aluminum finned device that runs the width of the fridge compartment. On the right hand side is a wire attached to a Thermister that has a clip to attach it to the Right side fin.
It may have fallen off or simply needs adjustment. It slides up or down to control the temp. Can't remember which is which but start in the middle and see how it goes. Will take a couple hous before you see a change.

Also, overloading these fridges restricts the air flow and will have a negative effect on cooling.

Good Luck,,

P/S, the freezer temp is controlled by the number panel on the outside of the fridge. The inside fridge temp is controlled by the Thermister Clip.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6jsgrandma View Post
We are trying to get our fridge to work. Freezer is at 0, but fridge is staying at 40. Not sure if we can go camping today or not. Any ideas? It's set on propane right now. Thank you.

Most refrigerators work hardest when they don't have any food in them. They also loose the most "cold" when the door is opened. It works best to pre-freeze or pre-cool items in your home fridge when getting set to go on a trip, lessening the load on your RV fridge.

You don't say whether or not your fridge is already loaded or not. I am assuming it is NOT currently. I think if you load it with food, you will see the temperature drop over night. Especially if the freezer compartment is already at 0 degrees.

Another thing to check, use the old dollar bill test to make sure your door seals are fully seating. Place the dollar bill between the door seal and the fridge, close the fridge door. Try and pull the dollar bill out, there should be significant resistance to pulling out. Move the dollar bill the width of the bill on the seal, retry. Continue all around the door(s). If you find any area where the dollar bill pulls out easily, you have a bad seal or gasket. Replace the door seal, or you may possible be able to adjust the door to seat better. Just some ideas . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
You don't say what make, model, year your coach is but I'll take a shot in the dark here.
Inside your fridge is an aluminum finned device that runs the width of the fridge compartment. On the right hand side is a wire attached to a Thermister that has a clip to attach it to the Right side fin.
It may have fallen off or simply needs adjustment. It slides up or down to control the temp. Can't remember which is which but start in the middle and see how it goes. Will take a couple hous before you see a change.

Also, overloading these fridges restricts the air flow and will have a negative effect on cooling.

Good Luck,,

P/S, the freezer temp is controlled by the number panel on the outside of the fridge. The inside fridge temp is controlled by the Thermister Clip.

Moving the clip (thermistor) will only affect temps on those Dometic Fridges that do NOT have temp adjustments on upper panel.
On those models the thermostat is preset to control to 40*F in the food compartment. (actually the fin temp of 30*F....fin temp is 10*F lower than food compartment air temp)
Moving the thermistor UP will cause a longer cooling cycle....cooler food section
Moving the thermistor Down will shorten cooling cycle......less cooler food section
Overall affect is 4*F-6*F change in temp
The Thermistor is the sensing device for the thermostat which controls how long the cooling cycle runs and controls temps based on food section fin temp

Freezer temps are just an effect of the cooling process....it is 1st in the cooling cycle and therefore gets coldest by design.
Thermostat doesn't even sense freezer compartment temps----just the food section

Freezer should be 0*F to -5*F
Food Section.......40*F (28*F-30*F Fin Temp)

Fridge needs good DRAFT from lower vent up and ACROSS cooling unit then out upper vent
AND because it functions on Gravity Flow.....needs to be reasonably level WHENEVER operating.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, refrigerator