Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Domicile State Fl or SD Pro / Cons

Sell the home and will pick a more tax friendly state to establish as our domicile. The two we are focused on are Florida and South Dakota. Since these are common RV domiciles I am curious what the general opinion is of one over the other.

If we have not bought the RV yet it will probably be SD as the sales tax of 3% would save us over 10K. SD also seems to be a bit easier to establish and easier to maintain residence while FT. Florida is attractive to us as I was raised there and have family in the state and it is certainly easier to travel too in say January.

There is medial insurance to consider as well, knowing Florida is home many in my age group makes me wonder if there would be advantages that I am currently not seeing for health insurance/MH insurance and other taxes or fees.

Please chime in and let me know your thought process as you were making a similar decision. It will really be appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check this new post by WheelingIT...My wife and I were also considering SD...will have to look at FL or TX..
Jim

No options left for pre-Medicare health insurance in SD for fulltime RVers - iRV2 Forums

onlakegaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #3

Apparently, there is an issue with pre medicare patients getting reasonable health care coverage with a SD address. This could become quite an issue. One of us goes on Medicare next year but the other will still require self purchased health care and we have a SD address. We have previously purchased 6 month temp policies through ehealthinsurance.com but they don't meet ACA requirements. We'll see what happens with SD.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

I can't speak about SD but nothing could be easier than claiming Florida as your domicile. Take a look at the St. Brendan's Isle mail service web site. It has all the information you need for changing your domicile.
We followed there instructions to the letter and it took one afternoon to,change residency, get registered to vote, new drivers license, and plates for both the MH and toad. Remember also that you will need to re-do you Last Will and Testament, medical surrogate and things of that nature that are residency specific
I'm sure some of the SD mail sites have similar instructions and forms. Just follow them exactly and there shouldn't be a problem.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
SD med insurance

We really did think we had it figured out, but the insurance thing is certainly a bump in the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I can't speak about SD but nothing could be easier than claiming Florida as your domicile. Take a look at the St. Brendan's Isle mail service web site. It has all the information you need for changing your domicile.
We followed there instructions to the letter and it took one afternoon to,change residency, get registered to vote, new drivers license, and plates for both the MH and toad. Remember also that you will need to re-do you Last Will and Testament, medical surrogate and things of that nature that are residency specific
I'm sure some of the SD mail sites have similar instructions and forms. Just follow them exactly and there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You also forgot Texas (Escapees RV club).

For assorted reasons (Mostly more stringent driver's license requirements and some politics) I do not wish to become a Texan... (For other reasons it sounds.. Interesting)

Likewise for political reasons, I wish to to swim in the sea of flowers (Floridia).

I WILL NOT DISCUSS THE POLITICAL REASONS.

That leaves SD and NV.. In NV taxes, depending on where in NV can be... Tough.. Plus I have no ties to that state any more.

And SD.. is not where I wish to be when my licenses come up for renewal

THUS.. I will likely move to FL, since.. Well, least of all evils
Old 09-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Florida is an excellent domicile state and is not difficult to establish residency.
Homeowners insurance needs to be considered. Policies have a separate deductible for hurricane losses which can result in high out of pocket costs. These deductibles can be 2, 5 or 10% of the value of the property. (depends on the value of the house) A 5% deductible on a $300,000 house would require you to pay the first $15,000 of a loss due to a hurricane. Normal losses are covered by the usual $500 or $1000 deductible. In addition the hurricane coverage almost triples the cost of the non-hurricane coverage in my policy. Neither homeowners or hurricane insurance covers flood damage...
The Average Price of Hurricane Insurance in Florida | eHow
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #8

Tell me more about Texas someone Most important for us is the quality of doctor/hospital options as we have some health concerns. We would be on ACA as we're not yet 62. But health concerns have convinced me to not put off our dream another second. Hubbys been working 45 years and counting. 30+ to get a pension. I have to keep healthcare high in my mind with where we would one day domicile. TX and Florida both have good choices.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We did the SD domicle through America's Mailbox. Very easy. We have nation wide BCBS health insurance that I have used in 3 states with no issues. Check if Tx and Fl have annual vehicle inspection that could be a hassle when trying to fulltime. Also cost of vehicle registration should be concidered.good luck.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #10

One thing that struck me about Florida doesn't come up often. The price of electricity and water is incredibly inexpensive compared to Michigan. Our all electric FL house is generally no more than 75.00 a month for electric (peak season - winter and summer), there is no gas bill, and I haven't seen a water bill for 20.00 yet...

So, our homeowners insurance is nearly twice as much in Florida as it is in Mi (we're 10 miles off the Gulf, but in a high and dry area, so flood insurance isn't necessary), but when you factor in the difference in energy costs, the home in Florida is quite a bit less money on an annual basis. Our FL. property taxes are about half as well, and Fl vehicle insurance is cheap compared to MI, as MI has this wonderful "No Fault" law.....

Pay attention when it comes to where you are relocating in Fl. Flood insurance may be an excellent plan in many areas, and there's quite the debate/scandal over how gov't subsidy losses affect the cost of flood insurance at the moment down there.

When we left last May, the news was all over a retired couple's waterfront dream house they had just purchased. Nice place, wasn't cheap (250k), but when they found that after recent changes their flood insurance was going to cost them 45k annually they freaked! Insurance costs like that are not affordable for anyone, and pretty much kill the value of the home. That issue causing quite the commotion when we left. Not sure if it's been resolved or not.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:00 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Florida no longer has a vehicle inspection, used vehicles from out of state are inspected to verify VIN and odometer.
In the state of Florida, a motor vehicle is required by law to be registered within ten days of the owner either becoming employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency. Registering your motor vehicle goes hand in hand with the titling process.

Fees - Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:51 PM   #12

Yes, the Big Three full timer states seem to be SD, TX, and FL mainly because there's no state income taxes.

However, Alaska, Nevada, Washington, Wyoming, New Hampshire, and Tennessee also do not have state income taxes -- but NH and TN do collect taxes on dividend & interest income.

However, if you're on a fixed income, state taxes may not amount to much. You can always download state tax forms and plug in your income numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell36 View Post
We really did think we had it figured out, but the insurance thing is certainly a bump in the road.
Oh yeah! If you're pre-Medicare, forget about SD. But don't take my word for it, check out www.rverhealthinsurance.com (click on SD on the map on the bottom of the page).

If you haven't done so already, you can check what health insurance is available across the country using www.healthsherpa.com.

Finally, TX is implementing a new vehicle registration process next year, so if you can, you may want to wait a year before selecting TX as a domicile.

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote