Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #29
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
I can see it now. You pick them up in your RV's and you live out west and are headed there. Do you bring those nasty things all the way out west to populate the areas in the west? I hope they hate it out west .
Wayne, since they only eat plants I think they will die very quickly inside an RV, so hopefully that couldn't happen!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #30

We were infested! I doused the camper in PineSol Water...and watched them drop off, and they didn't come back! I actually slept in my bed last night. Glad for forums like this, and the advice of others where we are now. We have been Full time for two years now, but haven't experienced anything like this before.
TeamLyon1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLyon1029 View Post
We were infested! I doused the camper in PineSol Water...and watched them drop off, and they didn't come back! I actually slept in my bed last night. Glad for forums like this, and the advice of others where we are now. We have been Full time for two years now, but haven't experienced anything like this before.
Tell us more! Did you just buy regular PineSol in a bottle and mix it with water? If so, what ratio of Pinesol to water? Where did you apply it to the RV and how did you apply it? Is this solution safe to use on RV finishes?

Inquisitive minds want to know! Thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #32

I bought a Gallon of PineSol (big bottle) and a Weed sprayer. Cost me $22...but I would have paid $222. My husband was also worried about putting it on the camper, but agreed after he did some quick research. The guy that told me said it was fine, plus washes off with the rain. I mixed about 1/3 gallon of Pine Sol and 2/3rds Water. Not sure it needed to be that much after watching them drop like they did...but I was on a mission. Mied it up again this morning...almost none on the outside. SOOOO PLEASED!!! I also invested in a Dustbuster and have not been sucking up NEAR as many today.
TeamLyon1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #33

The stinkbugs have been relentless here in PA the past few weeks, but that's nothing new. They will hide in the smallest crevices and they will creep in to the tiniest of openings to get inside the house, car or RV. Here's the good news. They don't bite and they're slow. And yes, I will pick them up with bare hands when needed to eject them out the car window or entry door to the home. No big deal...They're pretty much harmless to humans.

Here's how I deal with them when they swarm heavily. Yesterday I took a small portable electric vacuum (not battery) and easily collected several hundred off the south and west side of our brick house in about an hour. They seem to favor the warmer locations in the afternoons and seem to cluster more near the entry doors and windows. The vacuum with a rigid hose extension is the fastest and most effective way I've found to collect them. I empty the vacuum canister in a small plastic shopping bag, knot it tightly and place it in the trash can. Today there were plenty more but probably only 20% of yesterday. I repeated the collection process and will do so again tomorrow.

I'm not trying to eliminate them because that can't be done. But, life on the patio is much more pleasant with a controlled population. Unfortunately, I think these pesky bugs are here to stay for the foreseeable future.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #34

If you're going to vacuum them up, make sure the vacuum you use isn't going to pull them through the vacuum's fan prior to being ejected into the bag? A hose attachment used on an upright vacuum will pick them up surely, but you are not going to enjoy the scent of that vacuum for a while afterwards? You need to use a tank type (shop) vacuum for this purpose! Like many of the "life lessons" I've learned over the years, found this out the hard way...
Old 10-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Being from the Midwest, I don't remember ever seeing a stink bug, until our IRV2 rally in Sevierville TN last fall. We were invaded! We were finding them for months.

Next week we're heading up to North Carolina, we'll be split between Marion and Cherokee. Friends from there tell us to expect stink bugs. Oh joy.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
STINKBUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess I will be busy for the next few weeks at least until it gets cold.
Something I learned while in Virginia is that cold... even freezing... does not kill them. They just go dormant and, in the spring when it warms up, they start moving again.

Note: This observation was made in a house attic over the course of a fall, winter and spring.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
I moved south from Marion, Va. today to Shelby, Nc. Hoping I'm finally away from them. They were thick at the rest stop on I-77 just north of I-40.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several years ago we made an attempt to move back to Texas. It didn't work, but one thing I learned real quick is to keep a 1 to 2 gallon pump sprayer in a cargo bay. Our big problems was fire ants and Lady bugs. I sprayed around and under the unit as well as all compartments electrical and cable lines and the water and sewer lines.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #39

Mustang,
The Pinesol trick was new to me regarding the stink bugs. Is there a similar trick that handles fire ants? What do you use on those? If there's a home brew available to take care of those, I may join you carrying a sprayer. Sounds like a good idea! -Al
Old 10-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've used a couple of brands. Can't remember which one I have currently, I just get one that covers the bugs to which I'm having problems. I have bought the concentrate so I could make it a stronger solution. The red ants were so bad for a short period of time, I carried a plastic container of the "bait type" granules and would do do a moderates scattering around the unit.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #41
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We're using the PineSol mixture and it seems to be helping a lot. At least we've got the cleanest smelling RV in town!
Old 10-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Being from the Midwest, I don't remember ever seeing a stink bug, until our IRV2 rally in Sevierville TN last fall. We were invaded! We were finding them for months.

Next week we're heading up to North Carolina, we'll be split between Marion and Cherokee. Friends from there tell us to expect stink bugs. Oh joy.
I was born in Indiana, grew up there in the 40's/50's. Catching stink bugs and throwing them at my little sister was a game_for me. That linked article says they came to North America about 15 years ago???? Poor researcher, ignorance is bliss. Oh Wait, I read it on the internet it must be true.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote