Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don't come to endless caverns rv resort!

This place is over-run with stink bugs! They are everywhere and are getting into the RV somehow, we think it's around the slides! We have caught hundreds of them and flushed them down the toilet. They have to be handled VERY carefully because it you mash them the smell is AWFUL!

We are getting out of here tomorrow morning and hoping that all the campgrounds in this area don't have the same problem!

Anybody else out there having this problem?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
This place is over-run with stink bugs! They are everywhere and are getting into the RV somehow, we think it's around the slides! We have caught hundreds of them and flushed them down the toilet. They have to be handled VERY carefully because it you mash them the smell is AWFUL!

We are getting out of here tomorrow morning and hoping that all the campgrounds in this area don't have the same problem!

Anybody else out there having this problem?
I don't think it is just specific to that campground. They are always a problem here on the East Coast. Last year was really bad.

ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Invasion by stink bugs is sniffed out - Technology & science - Science - LiveScience | NBC News
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hundreds!! Oh my goodness! Thanks for the heads up - I was just telling my husband that I wanted to go there! Never saw (or smelled) a stick bug, and I think I would like to skip the experience!
Get outta Dodge!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
We ran into them in Virginia 2 years ago. Look them up on the internet. If I remember correctly they are Chinese stink bugs. They only eat plants and will starve in your RV. I used some bug bombs that had a particular chemical in it, I might have found it on this forum. I found dead ones for several months. Good luck
Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

Last October we stayed at a SP in Tenn. was inundated with them. Was still finding them months later in everyplace imaginable.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #7

Endless Caverns

Here's another negative about E.C.: I found I had prostate cancer two years ago so had to cancel an entire 2 month trip. I called them immediately (2 months before our arrival) and asked for our deposit back.
They DON'T give deposits back, so it's your tough luck if you have illness or coach malfunctions. They'll never see or hear from me again! jim
Old 09-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh33 View Post
Here's another negative about E.C.: I found I had prostate cancer two years ago so had to cancel an entire 2 month trip. I called them immediately (2 months before our arrival) and asked for our deposit back.
They DON'T give deposits back, so it's your tough luck if you have illness or coach malfunctions. They'll never see or hear from me again! jim
Did you read the rules on refunds before making them? If it said "no refunds" then they just followed their printed rules. Kind of sucks but their resort so their rules.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I forgot to state that Endless Caverns RV Resort is at New Market, VA.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We were there 3 weeks ago. Nice wooded setting and enjoyed our stay. No bugs that week.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
STINKBUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just spent 2 weeks in the Hershey Pa area Thousand Trails. According to the employees they feed on the crops when the corn fields get harvested they move to other areas. The campground is in the middle of farm country. They were not too bad while we were outside and at night but once we put in the slides and drove home it was the stink bug bus. You cannot kill them or they will give off an odor so you have to capture them alive and bring them outdoors we sucked them up with a dustbuster. They get under the edges of the rubber molding and then come out when the slides are in. I had to keep the generator running to keep the dust buster charged. I think they have an intelligence, once you get close to them with the dustbuster they turn around and go the other way when you go into the coach they look down at you. So far we must have removed a few hundred of them. Guess I will be busy for the next few weeks at least until it gets cold.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone know if stinkbugs will bite humans? We're afraid to go to bed!

Old 09-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Does anyone know if stinkbugs will bite humans? We're afraid to go to bed!
Short answer is yes, if they feel threatened. Not poisonous, slightly painful. If threatened their first line of defense is to release that nasty odor.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No they will not. We were in VA a few years ago and we were invaded by them. We killed hundreds and when we came home we killed more hundreds here in my driveway in Texas. Fortunately I have not seem them here since then so it may be the climate.

I'll look back through my posts an tell you the chemical that we bombed the MH with. It to 6 bombs 2 each time over the course of several days.

Now here is the other part. Two years later i would open a compartment and there one would be.

Their shell does not like liquid soap. You can walk up to them with a piece of toilet paper or tissue and gently pick them up and deposit them in a coffee can of soapy water, or just flush them down the toilet like I did. I use calgon water softener in the toilet for slippery sides so I guess that is soap. They just plain do not like water.

For us, they were harmless. I never picked one up with my bare hands and always use a paper product.

On edit: The product we used was a Hot Shot bomb and it contained "cypermethrin." It worked real well.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote