Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I too @ 58 are NOT suppose to be on a ladder.(DR Orders) I bought a new 4footer when we got the MH but I use the receiver up to bumper then up the back ladder. That's the farthest I will go.
Sorry to hear of your dad's fall. I had a neighbor lady about a month ago slip @ 5:00 Am going to the bathroom,her husband helped her back to bed and @ 8:00 he couldn't get her to wake up and get her out of bed and around 11:00 PM she passed.Same thing a slow bleed on the brain.
So Sorry for your loss.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
It has been about 10 years ago,so I was about 75. We were shopping for a motorhome, found one that was looking pretty good, and priced right. So, let's take a closer look, so up the ladder I went. Didn't get on the roof but wanted to eye ball it. I start down the ladder, and misjudged the distance from that bottom rung to the found. Fell flat on my back, looked like a big beached whale! Of course lots of people standing around in shock, and the DW.....laughing her head off. I didn't know I could get up and on my feet so fast. It hurt falling only that short distance, but the embarrassment was worse. I HATE those ladders ;-(
Old 11-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Correction....age 57 not 75....getting fat finger idist at 67
Old 11-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #18

A few years back I was trimming roof boards my new shop. I was on a ladder, and over reached myself. I fell backwards with the Skil saw running. I tossed it away as I fell! As I lay there on the ground I looked to either side. A pile of concrete blocks on one side, a disk harrow on the other! I was very lucky. Fell right between them. I am much more careful these days!
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Exactly Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
When climbing use both hands for climbing, attach any tools to a rope, and hoist them up after you are secure.
Bob, you are exactly right. I do believe if I had been using both hands, I would have been able to sustain my weight when my feet went our from under me. And I did think about using the rope, but you know that 23 yr old mind of mine kicked in as I have climbed ladders, trees and so on many times.

Regardless, I will be taking more precautions!! As others stated, falls can be deadly.

He's watching over me!!

Blessings Jim
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Jim,
Thanks for sharing your story. It will make us think about our fall activities. I am glad you were not badly hurt.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Most often I attach a bungee cord or somehow tie an upper bar of the ladder to whatever I have it leaned against. I don't let my wife on a ladder anymore - one of the few discussions she lets me win.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #22

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
In 2012 we were at a campground in Boone, NC that was in need of some maintenance. We had backed into a site that had branches dragging on our roof. I climbed the rig's ladder and took care of the problem. Coming down, my foot somehow slipped off the third rung up and down I went. Came down on one foot, that hurt, couldn't get my balance, hopped on one foot trying to regain balance, ended up in the next site where I fell into the fire ring. Fortunately, no fire was going and after a day's recuperation, my dignity was all that suffered. I don't like ladders either, but they're pretty much a necessity.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
One time years ago I was changing a light bulb on the ceiling of my shop which was 12 feet high. I was standing on the top step of my rickety old wooden step ladder and my wife walked in as I started the wobble. I managed to get down without falling and got chewed on for my unsafe work habits. The very same day my wife was out burning a bunch of stuff in the burn barrel and the wind was blowing. I came in the house to find her upset because her hair was badly singed. I just smiled and said that's terrible.

Don't get me wrong, ladders and climbing can be very dangerous, as mentioned by some of the others. How awful and sorry for your loss.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #24

Gravity is not your friend. You should have gotten into the anti-gravity chair first and stayed there.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
I keep thinking if they quit putting that do not step on the top rung of ladders we might not fall off them.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #26

Ladder mishap

Could not resist to comment on ladder mishaps. Last while helping my in-laws on their winter home in az. I was doing some repairs on the eaves of the park model and while descending the ladder carrying a cordless drill and a small can of paint, I manage to miss the last rung of the ladder and fell a short distance. No big deal (right) . Well I fell on a barrel cactus. From there I laid on a sheet while DW commenced to remove the needles. A hour later I was in the ER room in the hospital. 47 needles later I was on my way home. To make matters worst, I had a 8 o'clock tee time the next morning which I elected to walk. I scored a 87 ( on the front 9). Can't wait for my next stupid mistake. Roger
Rog1965char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #27

Ha! Thanks so much for sharing this story...yup, we've all done those sort of things too. Glad you weren't seriously hurt and honestly I think I will remember this the next time I use a ladder. You may have just saved my hip...or leg...or who knows what.
TriMoot
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
In 2012 we were at a campground in Boone, NC that was in need of some maintenance. We had backed into a site that had branches dragging on our roof. I climbed the rig's ladder and took care of the problem. Coming down, my foot somehow slipped off the third rung up and down I went. Came down on one foot, that hurt, couldn't get my balance, hopped on one foot trying to regain balance, ended up in the next site where I fell into the fire ring. Fortunately, no fire was going and after a day's recuperation, my dignity was all that suffered. I don't like ladders either, but they're pretty much a necessity.
Ha! Hilarious! Thanks for sharing! Still laughing!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote