Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #15

In case you have taste buds, water from an rv tank tastes extremely strong of plastic. You'll conserve your fresh water and enjoy it more if you get 5 gallon bottles and fill them for drinking water. You can fill up at home depot or Walmart, or use the hose - most tap water is as good or better than bottled water. But I can't stand to drink out of an rv tank. At best it tastes like plastic or if you listen to some of these posts, it will taste like a swimming pool.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 10:51 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Where does bottled water come from and who tests it???? I am with the clean your tank gang, and then you will know what you are drinking.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:15 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
No need to worry about water from your FW tank tasting like a swimming pool, chlorine rinses from the system completely with a simple flushing of the system.

Sanitizing with chlorine introduces only 50 ppm of chlorine into the system.

If you use bleach with 5.25% sodium hypochlorite you will use 1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of FW tank capacity

5.25% is hard to find these days most bleach is now 8.25% sodium hypochlorite. At this concentration you will use only 2.5 tablespoons per 15 gallons of FW tank capacity.

I would sanitize any new to you tank. After that it would depend largely on source used to fill the tank, maintenance of filters, etc... I find once a year is fine for me, could be overkill but it makes the DW feel better.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #18

Folks will drink bottled water but not water from an RV fresh water tank.

They have NO idea how that water is processed/handled prior to bottling.

They will wash their dishes in the water from RV tank
They will wash their hands and face in it.
They will brush their teeth in it.
They will shower/bathe in it.
They will cook with it.
They will make coffee/tea with it.

But not drink it.............
Old 08-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

They will cook with it.

i'd strike out the last two. i have two 5 gallon water containers and fill up in walmart/grocery stores for 35 cents a gallon. use that water for drinking, cooking and coffee/tea.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:46 PM   #20

I stopped when I drank a crawdad
Old 08-01-2016, 11:53 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyreno View Post
How did it get in your tank?

Only limited routes of entry; open low point drains, open FW tank dump, uncapped gravity fill or uncapped city connection. Seems like someone may have been playing a bad practical joke on you.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:11 AM   #22

I have been using distilled water for consumption and cooking the last 30 years because I don't want chlorine in my water. Consistent neutral taste.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:55 AM   #23

Then there's the people that don't use their bathrooms instead of the campground shower rooms, those that insist that RV toilet paper must be used, and so forth and so on.

My fresh water tank is there to be used and I do. But then, I've never been a bottle water drinker, grew up in the country with a cistern that collected water from the down spouts on the roof. Must be a miracle that I survived. LOL
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

They will cook with it.

Not all bottled water is created equal, that is for sure. But you can get good, RO filtered water. At home we use RO filtered water for ice, drinking and cooking. On the road we bring RO filtered water from Nestle, as well as our counter-top ice machine.

Personally, I can taste the difference between tap water and proper filtered water. Once you get used to drinking RO water you can taste tap water. It's sort of like when people quit smoking and their taste buds start to come back to life.

While not all bottled water is the same, not all tap water is either. When I was in Va. the tap water wasn't too bad taste wise, and didn't need a lot of filtering. We kept an RO filter under the kitchen sink for drinking, ice, and cooking, but that was it. Meanwhile, here in SoCal the water actually tastes like dust. That's the best way I can describe it. Not only does it taste bad, it clogs the shower-heads just about weekly. One of my wife's colleagues, whose been here a bit longer than we have, remembers getting a letter from the water company advising that they not drink the water if they could help it.

To get back to the OP's point, I keep my fresh water tank sanitized, and I have a Camco Evo Premium filter for the incoming water, but I still carry RO filtered water for drinking (tea and coffee) ice, and cooking.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyreno View Post
So is the tank crawdad sort of like the tequila worm?
Old 08-02-2016, 02:47 AM   #26

Ten years RVing in 30 countries and filled our tanks with whatever water was available and we have never had health problems remotely attributable to the water. Doesn't always make a great cup of coffee or tea but that has nothing to do with how safe it is.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:47 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
I have been using distilled water for consumption and cooking the last 30 years because I don't want chlorine in my water. Consistent neutral taste.
Um... well... I certainly can't argue the fact that 30 years of drinking distilled water sounds like it has been working for you, but anyone else considering doing so should carefully consider the potential consequences.

Google it for yourself and see, then make your own informed decisions.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:59 AM   #28

Like others, I grew up drinking well water, and water that was stored in a cistern after having first run off the roof and through gutters and downspouts. I'm a bit odd, but I don't think THAT'S the reason why.
Personally I never hook up to campground water, I always use the water from my tank. If needed I'll fill the tank with campground water. I do this so that I know that the water in the tank is always as fresh as possible.

Tags
water