Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 06:19 AM   #29

I'm surprised that no one mentioned this: "When a salesman's lips are moving, he is lying". Maybe not always true but, in this case, possibly a glimmer of truth?.

I have drunk from our fresh water tank for years, and just once found really bad tasting water from the campground connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumster View Post
Just picked up our new coach. The very nice man that performed my PDI said "Don't drink the water. Just plan to cook with and drink bottled water - you'll never get good-tasting water out of the fresh water tank...". Wondering what the rest of you think. We have a 2017 Thor Hurricane 31s (if that matters). Bought a water filter for the hose connection. Guess I'll also use it for the gravity feed when filling the tank.... Thanks all!
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 06:21 AM   #30
IC2

We now have a 'full house' filtration system for our 5er to use at a CG and use carbon block filters for sediment, taste and chlorine. It also filters out lead, cysts and a host of other nasties. With that said, we have up until fairly recently, just used one of those accessory Camco filters but they seem to reduce the flow and pressure too much. Before those Camcos were available, nothing - and nary a problem over the last 45 or so years. I try to sterilize the FW tank on a yearly basis, but sometimes CRS happens since ii's one of those things that's out of sight. It needs to happen before we take our next trip. That is unless ..........
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:34 AM   #31

mounted a permanent whole house filter from Lowes on intake
Everpure filter under the sink
chlorine added when filling tank
camp water straight through when hooked up (filtered by both filters)
2000 days of use over 24 years = about $5000 (not including time and transport)
ok, minus filter costs........
I'm going to go out and treat myself today!

my double filtered water tastes no different then bottled water
I do smell a hint of chlorine in the shower but that's better than combing crawdads out of my hair!

drink up!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:59 AM   #32

Water everywhere tastes a little different. In St. Paul MN much of the water is surface water (from lakes). After a heavy rain it has a noticeable flavor of leaves and other material from the heavy runoff into the source lakes. Many people actually LIKE the flavor. Doesn't make it unhealthy. Ground water often is "hard" and that has a flavor also. Gulf states have sulfer in the water, many northern areas have a lot of iron in the water. Not unhealthy... Just depends on whether you personally like the flavor.

I sanitize my tank once a year, shower, cook, etc with the tank water. Will occasionally drink it, but do prefer using bottled water for drinking (only because of the more neutral flavor, not health reasons). Oh, and definitely bottled water for coffee. But then, I'm definitely a coffee snob 😀
Old 08-02-2016, 07:14 AM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use the blue Camco in-line filter outside and have a high-quality filter under the sink with separate faucet that we use for all water that we consume. We also dump and refill the freshwater tank occasionally!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
We now have a 'full house' filtration system for our 5er to use at a CG and use carbon block filters for sediment, taste and chlorine. It also filters out lead, cysts and a host of other nasties. With that said, we have up until fairly recently, just used one of those accessory Camco filters but they seem to reduce the flow and pressure too much. Before those Camcos were available, nothing - and nary a problem over the last 45 or so years. I try to sterilize the FW tank on a yearly basis, but sometimes CRS happens since ii's one of those things that's out of sight. It needs to happen before we take our next trip. That is unless ..........
IC2
Can you give us more info on your system? We fulltime. All we have for filters is the stock whole house filter.
I have read that a carbon "block" filter and a ceramic filter is the way to go. Ceramic can be cleaned.
Like to find a source for the filter blocks.
Some of the complete systems i have seen are pricey.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:41 AM   #35

We exclusively use our fresh water tank and pump. We are full timers. If it is municipal water, it will be fine. There are places down south where the water does not taste that great but that does not mean it is not safe to drink. We prefer not to have all those plastic bottles to deal with and think they are bad for the environment even though we recycle whenever possible.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #36

With proper care using tank water should not be a problem. We have duel filters, use a water softener and have under sink unit. Just take time time to properly sanitize it.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #37

Here's a good place to read up on water filtering and what you need for your specific needs. This company is at many of the rallies and if you have questions give him a call and he'll gladly answer them.

Again, we had a filter (definitely not a WalMart type) going into the RV and one at the kitchen sink. We used our tank water for everything, including drinking for 16 years of full-timing, getting our water from many, many different types of sources and very few were 'municipal'. We used public parks the majority of time. Public parks undergo many tests for their water supply. They are not going to risk people getting sick.

Lighten up and enjoy your RVing. I think some folks worry too much about everything.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #38
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
IC2
Can you give us more info on your system? We fulltime. All we have for filters is the stock whole house filter.
I have read that a carbon "block" filter and a ceramic filter is the way to go. Ceramic can be cleaned.
Like to find a source for the filter blocks.
Some of the complete systems i have seen are pricey.
Robert, it's a simple, standard 10" housing with hose end adapters for our particular application using a Pentek filter that I buy from AMAZON. They are .5 micron, 2 gpm. I haven't plumbed it permanently but am considering that mod.

https://www.amazon.com/Pentek-CBC-10...45X87JFAT3SVJ5

As far as using ceramic filters in the US - not sure you really need that level as most waters here are usually 'safe' though may taste lousy. Also, physical size wise, will they supply enough water for your daily functions in your coach and with enough pressure? Additionally, how do you wash those filter cartridges without contaminating them since you are a FTer? I would be more inclined to consider a reverse osmosis system or in my case a sediment pre filter and the carbon block as the final filter that we have in our S&B (which I may duplicate in our 5er)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumster View Post
Just picked up our new coach. The very nice man that performed my PDI said "Don't drink the water. Just plan to cook with and drink bottled water - you'll never get good-tasting water out of the fresh water tank...". Wondering what the rest of you think. We have a 2017 Thor Hurricane 31s (if that matters). Bought a water filter for the hose connection. Guess I'll also use it for the gravity feed when filling the tank.... Thanks all!
We've been using unfiltered tank water for everything since our coach was new... (but I did sanitize the tank and water system with a bleach solution in 2002 and again in 2012).
Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #40

Filter or not it still tastes like plastic. There's a reason drinking water bottles are made from different plastic. No plastic taste and fewer chemicals offgassing. Try it for yourself and see. I'm not saying buy bottled water. Drink whatever water you want. Filter if you want. The worst that will happen in the usa is a little dysentery or swallowing a crawdad. But for my use, a water bottle tastes best and lets me have more rv water for cleaning and washing. True distilled water can be deadly, stripping you of essential minerals.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought our first camper in 1968. We never used bottled water. We never got sick. I did start installing a filter in every camper in 1986. Not for safety but for taste. I would use bottled water if going to Mexico, but I don't see a need in america.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #42

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Filter or not it still tastes like plastic. There's a reason drinking water bottles are made from different plastic. No plastic taste and fewer chemicals offgassing. Try it for yourself and see. I'm not saying buy bottled water. Drink whatever water you want. Filter if you want. The worst that will happen in the usa is a little dysentery or swallowing a crawdad. But for my use, a water bottle tastes best and lets me have more rv water for cleaning and washing. True distilled water can be deadly, stripping you of essential minerals.
Well said. I would add that reverse osmosis water will also strip essential minerals from you body.

BPA in plastic tanks is an endocrine disruptor.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water