Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonavonP View Post
Well said. I would add that reverse osmosis water will also strip essential minerals from you body.

BPA in plastic tanks is an endocrine disruptor.
Minerals that can easily be gotten from elsewhere in your diet.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #44

I am 79 years old and never used bottled water, it is one of the biggest scams ever. Lived on well water for over 50 years and never had a problem. No filters.
texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #45

Being from SW Kansas where the water is so hard that when you get your water at a restaurant it is served with a toothpick.
I am not really all that concerned about the health issues from water at the various campgrounds, by law it is required to meet certain standards to be considered potable water. That said those standards do not take into consideration the taste. Being in the water treatment industry overall the past 20 years traveling across the state of Kansas I have experienced a lot of different water, from the deep well water of western Kansas to surface waters lakes and rivers. (Give me well water any day) I have a complete understanding of sanitation of water and the tank. Not that it is impossible, but it is highly improbable for bacterial growth to occur in the absence of sunlight. So with regular tank disinfecting and proper care it is completely safe. As for the campgrounds this is a highly regulated area in all states (at least within the USA). The fines would be enormous and the liability would be astronomical if they didn't properly chlorinate the drinking water.
Am I concerned about the safety of drinking from my FW tank or for that matter the campground water? Not at all! But I still prefer to at least filter the water, if for no other reason the taste. I like my coffee to taste like coffee, not swimming pool water.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
We Sanitize tank at least annually and fill tank through a 10" carbon block filter. We use small filters for icemaker and a separate counter faucet. We drink the water and taste nothing. Been RVing 12 years without (water) health issues.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #47

This has all been very helpful (and somewhat entertaining!). Thanks!
Drumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #48
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Out of curiosity, would all of those people who refuse to drink from their tank, please find one, just one, story where someone got sick from drinking water from a PROPERLY operating RV water system.

For those filling five gallon bottles of water from the water machines.....look behind the machine.....it's connected to the building and city water! Oh yeah, you keep refilling that nasty jug!

If you don't think bottled water is a scam, why does it cost more than gasoline? Yes bottled water is convenient in many situations, but to drink it versus the water from your tank is just a waste of money.

When you go to a restaurant and order water, do you pay for bottled water or drink what they serve in a glass? It's coming out of their faucets and is the same water going into your tank.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:39 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Out of curiosity, would all of those people who refuse to drink from their tank, please find one, just one, story where someone got sick from drinking water from a PROPERLY operating RV water system.

For those filling five gallon bottles of water from the water machines.....look behind the machine.....it's connected to the building and city water! Oh yeah, you keep refilling that nasty jug!

If you don't think bottled water is a scam, why does it cost more than gasoline? Yes bottled water is convenient in many situations, but to drink it versus the water from your tank is just a waste of money.

When you go to a restaurant and order water, do you pay for bottled water or drink what they serve in a glass? It's coming out of their faucets and is the same water going into your tank.
Most interesting Don. As you point out some pay more for water than fuel. When was the last time there was an uproar about high bottled water prices? Seems we have interesting priorities.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #50

Quote:

You're argument here really equates to: "I didn't get sick eating at McDonalds, so I'm going to keep eating there, everyone who doesn't eat there is wasting money." As many of us have pointed out, we prefer the taste of our beverages when made with filtered water, rather than tap.

A lot of restaurants are filtering their water that is used for coffee, tea, ice, and soda now too. Why, because it tastes better. Granted if you were a smoker for much of your life you may not be able to tell the difference.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've always drank the water from the tank....I probably should clean it...I dunno.
Attached Images

tankcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #52

We sanitize once or twice a year and drink out of the taps, whether it be CG water or holding tank water. We care about flavor/hardness/disease/price... never had a problem or complaint. I think it was an odd statement made by the fellow in the OP. Maybe that was a personal preference?
kaarsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #53

Quote:

Where's the 'LIKE' button?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #54
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I've always drank the water from the tank....I probably should clean it...I dunno.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #55

I second the suggestion that you contact the RV Water Filter Store. Rick will discuss any issues you may have with RV water systems. Very patient and extremely knowledgeable. We installed an Reverse Osmosis system in our unit about 6 or 7 years ago. We spent a great deal of time in the SW and most of the water did not taste good. The RO system cleaned up the taste,also stopped faucets from dripping and cleaned up the dishwasher, from cloudy to bright and shiny.

We use a 1 micron sediment filter and a 1 micron carbon block filter prior to the RO membrane. When in the SW we use RO water from the fresh water tank exclusively. When in other parts of the country if the water tastes good we will use the available water source directly. With the two 1 micro filters all water whether from tank or city tastes good. Have never had or heard of a problem with sickness from any campground water system.

We have the best of both worlds. Many times when making an overnight stop we never hook up water, electric only.

Some times we tend to overthink non-issues.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I see it as a convenience. I bought my coach to take the conveniences of my home on the road with me. My FW tank is clean and the water tastes time.

I have no desire to be hauling bottled water or to be shlepping 5 gallon jugs back and forth. Don't do either at home.

But then I also don't understand those that spend big money on a coach then refuse to use the toilet and shower in their coach.

To each their own.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water