Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
JVJ

Don't feed the Wildlife, stop RV abuse terrorism.

Went down to a beautiful resort in the Texas Hill Country. The weather took a turn for the much cooler low 30 degree nite time temps. Yet the days were a comfortable mid 70s to low 80s.
However, the cooler temps seem to instill a sense of time to gather food and nesting supplies in the rodent wildlife (squirrels, mice and such).
One of their favorite items to chew on and collect is rubber and plastics. The kind of rubber used to run fuel lines and air lines on a RV.
So, if you have any sure fire formula that keeps rodents away from your undercarriage now would be a good time to make use of your plan of action.
If you hear strange noises from under or around your RV, get up go out and check out the cause.
Our coach ended up on the back side of a massive tow truck for an 80 mile trip to the nearest Freightliner dealer, from what appears to be rodent related problems.
Happy Camping Ya'll
JVJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We full time. No rodent problems.. And if one wishes to invade then our rodent extermination squad (Amber and Alex Kitties) will ... Dine.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I keep one large rodent killin cat . He is on dudy 24 /7 never had a rodent problem when he is with me avr. about 2 kills a week good old boy haha no sub for a good old cat.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Can't say I've ever had a problem with a rodent nibbling on plastic, wiring or hoses. Your rig must have tastier ingredients than mine. Good thing, too, cause our cat is an aristocrat. Killing a rodent is beneath his dignity. He does enjoy running around to see what they are doing, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have used mothballs to discourage the chewing pests. So far it has worked for me.
Quertion, How do you smell mothballs ?
Answer, Hold them by their little wings !!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
COMMENT TO CHUCH 1935
Question...... You know what you got when you have a five pound moth ball in one hand and a five pound moth ball in your other hand????????

Are you guessing???????

Answer..... You have the undivided attention of the BIGGEST MALE MOTH YOU HAVE EVER SEEN .................. LOL.......... i just had to do that ......
Me
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #7

If you encircle your MH with Boric acid or even Comet cleanser I know it keeps the ants away. As far as rodents I don't know. They can jump over the line I'm sure.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #8

I haven't had a lot of trouble in my MH parked here in the desert. But I have a solar heating system for my swimming pool that the ground squirrels chew on for the water. I spray "Critter Ridder" around the solar panels and it keeps them off. It comes in a hand held, blue spray bottle and I get it at Lowe's. It's made from pepper oil and it's not cheap. But it works.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:23 AM   #9
paz

Spring is another bad time for critters because they're looking for a place to nest. We had a pack rat try to build a nest on top of our engine one spring in the desert. I took the twigs and grass out of there 4 or 5 times before I eventually resorted to a trap to get rid of her. Fortunately, nothing was chewed.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote