Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Don't forget about the towed!

Don't forget the towed is back there and where it may be resting;

WHOA! Video shows train slam into car in Flagstaff - Arizona's Family

2008Seneca is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thatís a heck of a way to check if your breakaway system is working.

Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #3

Wow - I think I saw a stop light just on the other side of the tracks. So you know he started to cross and the light changed and he was stuck behind a car that was texting (or distracted) that didn't make it thru - he couldn't go forward or back - and what are the odds that a train would come through.....
I think that could happen to anyone, if the same circumstances happen. Who in their right mind would put a light on the other side of the track....this isn't the first time an accident happened at that location. My $.02
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Many years ago in Flagstaff I saw a big rig get caught on these same tracks. The crossing arm came down between the cab and trailer and a train was coming. Driver exited and pushed the arm up and he was able to clear the tracks with seconds to spare.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 PM   #5

I've spent some time in Flagstaff and areas close to the tracks. Not sure of the schedule but seems about every half hour a train comes thru. These tracks come out of California and follow the I-40 thru Arizona. Not a fun place to stay in a motel.
The roads in downtown Flag that cross the tracks seem to all have a restriction of some sort to bottle-neck the traffic. It is surprising how much traffic is in the area.

Glad nobody was hurt.
leadman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm afraid the car/cars in front of me in that situation would have gotten pushed out of the way! It would be much cheaper than replacing the toad! Wow! Rail!
Old 06-14-2018, 06:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
I'm afraid the car/cars in front of me in that situation would have gotten pushed out of the way! It would be much cheaper than replacing the toad! Wow! Rail!
I agree. I wonder how much damage was done to the RV too?

Lights are flashing, arms are down. Even looks like there's room for the RV driver to pull forward and to the right. I think maybe the RV driver might have been oblivious to his surroundings.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:53 AM   #8

Ouch! I also think the driver wasn't paying attention to where his Toad was.

I would have shortened the bumper on the car in front of me to clear the tracks.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:56 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Oh, and the rail company is gonna want a lot of compensation for the damage to the train, damage to the tracks, delays caused by track closure. This accident, and all such accidents with trains, happened on private property owned by the railroad. And it amazes me how often these things happen! I mean, IT'S A TRAIN!! IT'S GONNA ONLY BE ON THE TRACKS, IT CAN'T GO ANYWHERE ELSE! Airplanes can fall out of the sky and mess up your day about anywhere on the ground, but trains are pretty much stuck to the area around the tracks.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:31 AM   #10

DOH!! Yup, driving forward anyway I could would have been my choice!
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:18 AM   #11

Quote:

Quote:
I would have shortened the bumper on the car in front of me to clear the tracks.
Quote:
DOH!! Yup, driving forward anyway I could would have been my choice!
WHAT IN SAM HILL IS GOING ON HERE?
Back when I took my drivers test, pulling into a intersection, any intersection, cross street, crosswalk, or RR crossing without room to to clear was a fail! I cuss when somebody with their head between their cheeks jams up traffic on the bridge over interstate... Do you not look at least the length of your rig in front of you?
ScoobyDoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
WHAT IN SAM HILL IS GOING ON HERE?
Back when I took my drivers test, pulling into a intersection, any intersection, cross street, crosswalk, or RR crossing without room to to clear was a fail! I cuss when somebody with their head between their cheeks jams up traffic on the bridge over interstate... Do you not look at least the length of your rig in front of you?
You shouldn't quote if you're going to leave out an important part of the message:

"Ouch! I also think the driver wasn't paying attention to where his Toad was.

I would have shortened the bumper on the car in front of me to clear the tracks."
Old 06-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
You shouldn't quote if you're going to leave out an important part of the message:

"Ouch! I also think the driver wasn't paying attention to where his Toad was.

I would have shortened the bumper on the car in front of me to clear the tracks."

My quotes where to point out that some say they feel the have a right to maybe injure others when they discovered they did wrong
Talk about "IT'S ALL ABOUT ME"

Fact; Anybody driving without paying attention is putting others at risk!
IMHO, anybody that pulls into a intersection, and does not have room to clear the intersection, but must stop and block cross traffic the minimum punishment should involve tar and feathers.
ScoobyDoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:21 AM   #14

Fact: Partial quoting someone to make a point that someone has already made is bad manners.

By pushing the car ahead of you a few feet you could possibly prevent a potentially worse situation. No one said plow into the vehicles ahead of you at 50 miles per hour.

Tags
tow