Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Don't leave home without it.

The coach that is. Last weekend we had to take a mini trip to Vancouver Island for a funeral service. We thought about taking the coach over until we priced out the ride for it on BC Ferries. With toad and my 40 ft. outside measurement it would be just under $350 each way. Just not worth it unless you are staying for awhile. We stayed overnight in a motel, that turned out not so nice and ate in restaurants. When you are used to your own motel on wheels it is hard to go back.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
What was you expence total sans motorhome? Ferry with car, meals etc. I am interested in visiting the island and had wondered how many days to make it economical.

LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKinaMoho View Post
What was you expence total sans motorhome? Ferry with car, meals etc. I am interested in visiting the island and had wondered how many days to make it economical.
Our trip cost us $80 each way and if you are seniors you only pay for the car which was $50. We didn't eat on the ferry so meals were regular restaurant prices. Motel cost us $120 for the night which we probably could have done better.

The ferry charges $5.60 a foot for a motorhome. At 40 ft that is $224.00+ the toad $50. plus $ 30 for the two of us. That makes $304. + taxes I think. I got that figure from my brother who lives on the Island, so won't say that is the right figure.

For us if we were going for a week it would be worth it, but it is still expensive on our budget.

On another note the Island is a beautiful place to visit and there is lot's to see and do. The ferry ride I have always found enjoyable and scenic. It is worth the expense if going for awhile.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #4

Check the WA ferries through Anacortes. They have a running rv special for 1/2 price to Sydney on the Island. It galls me because I go halfway on the same ferry to my home on San Juan Island and they don't give me the break. Oh well, that's life. Joe
Old 11-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
I like that idea :-)
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofo777 View Post
Check the WA ferries through Anacortes. They have a running rv special for 1/2 price to Sydney on the Island. It galls me because I go halfway on the same ferry to my home on San Juan Island and they don't give me the break. Oh well, that's life. Joe
Sorry to hear that, they kind of have you there don't they! Thanks for the heads up on the Anacortes run . I will have to check that out.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Our trip cost us $80 each way and if you are seniors you only pay for the car which was $50. We didn't eat on the ferry so meals were regular restaurant prices. Motel cost us $120 for the night which we probably could have done better.

The ferry charges $5.60 a foot for a motorhome. At 40 ft that is $224.00+ the toad $50. plus $ 30 for the two of us. That makes $304. + taxes I think. I got that figure from my brother who lives on the Island, so won't say that is the right figure.

For us if we were going for a week it would be worth it, but it is still expensive on our budget.

On another note the Island is a beautiful place to visit and there is lot's to see and do. The ferry ride I have always found enjoyable and scenic. It is worth the expense if going for awhile.
The "free to seniors rate" only applies if you are a BC resident and you travel Monday to Thursday.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ok thanks, that's good to know. I have to wait another year to get that. I had my older brother with us so he got to go free the one way, on the monday.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't leave home with my RV.. You see. the RV is "home" so if I leave Home I thus must leave the RV.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
And you can't leave the RV home, because the RV is home. This fulltime thing is complicated! He He.