Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Lightbulb Don't Overthink Your Problem

I post this in the hopes that it might help someone else with a similar problem. Not that this post is specific to a certain type of issue, but something to just keep in mind as a general rule of thumb. Don't overthink your problem.

A personal case in point from my night tonight:

After a day of being out with the family at our current campground stop, we came back to a beeping in the RV. My first thought anytime I hear a beeping is the smoke detector (consider me trained after years of similar beeps at my non-mobile home ). After replacing the battery and realizing that this wasn't the source of my ears ringing, I noticed that the light on my LP detector had gone amber. Great! I'm fairly new to RVing and haven't had this happen before. An opportunity to learn something new. I just wish it weren't at 9:30pm when my kids were already overtired and now trying to go to sleep. Murphy's Law says it wouldn't happen at any other time though, right?

Anyway, I did what anyone looking to find an answer fast would do. I hit The Google and came across many different potential causes and solutions to why an LP detector would report a fault and beeping. Some reasonably complicated, others not. While I am sure many of these responses were legitimate causes, my advice to you is not to get bogged down in the expertise of others if you may have overlooked (or didn't know to try) one of the simplest solutions first. More experienced people may assume that you have tried all of the "obvious" things first (or at least obvious to them), but if this is the first time you are encountering a problem, little is obvious. All potential solutions should be on the table.

After burying my face in my hands a few times trying to figure out how to make the beeping stop, which included trying to find the right fuse to pull (the person that labeled the fuses has handwriting like a doctor, so this was not an easy task), I finally figured I would try holding in the test button to see what would happen. I was originally afraid to do this thinking it would send the detector into a beeping tirade like doing the same on a smoke detector would do. Apparently what this really did was reset the detector, including its alleged fault. The light came back green and it has been happy ever since. My ears are now happy as well!

So, I guess my advice to both advice givers and advice seekers is to make sure you start with the basics and not to assume that the basics are known. I learned something new tonight and am glad the solution ended up being easy, but reading some of the proposed solutions to others with a similar issue on other forums was making my head spin a bit.

Don't overthink your problem as you will likely overthink your solution as well! Hopefully this advice helps someone as it came in handy for me tonight.

smasiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
Solo Rvers Club
This is indeed good advice, check the obvious first... sometimes it is just that simple and a good reminder not to look for problems that may not exist.
thanks for the reminder!

Young at heart,
Older in other places !
Enokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:48 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Always try the simplest fix first. I've heard and given that advice many times. Just wish I would learn to follow it all the time.

Had one of my side view cameras stop working once. Started by dismantling the camera mount then the camera, all looked good. Started checking the cable run which by the way has so may turns it changes zip codes twice. Nothing wrong with the cable. 2 hours gone and no closer to fixing the issue. DW asks is it plugged in? Reached under the dash, turns out it wasn't plugged. Homer Simpson award, Doh!
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:52 AM   #4
Don't under think them either. Why did it go off? Do you have a leak? Were your batteries low and that caused it to go off? Is it old and at the end of it's life. LP is nothing to mess with or ignore, better get to the bottom of the cause.
Chuck48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Chuck48 View Post
Don't under think them either. Why did it go off? Do you have a leak? Were your batteries low and that caused it to go off? Is it old and at the end of it's life. LP is nothing to mess with or ignore, better get to the bottom of the cause.

Always good advice, make sure you actually solved the problem. It sounds as though that is the case and I am happy for the OP that it was this simple.

At the same time I wish I had a nickle for every problem I didn't have that I spent time solving. That is true of helping people as well. I was going fishing with a friend of mine on his boat. He called me to say the last time he was out the port engine would not draw gas from his second tank. "Can you see if you can figure it out before I get there"? My son was with me then ask "do you have gas in the tank"? He said sure "I just filled it".

After an hour of my son and I banging heads and elbows doing head stands in the engine compartment of this boat working the "problem" from carburetors back (after all there was plenty of gas) my son hit the second tank with his foot. It gave off a distinctive hallow sound, no gas. And no the gas did not just disappear, it was never there!!!

Yes, check the simple stuff first.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem with my co2 detector and reset it and it seemed fine. A couple weeks later it did the same thing and set me to wondering whet was causing it. Our garbage can was sitting close to it and the first time it happened I had to move the garbage can to get at it. The second time same thing. After checking for gas leaks and anything else that could cause it I narrowed it down to the garbage can getting pushed up against it and restricting circulation of air around it. I moved the can away and it never has gone off since. I do test it regularly.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Freightliner Owners Club
We had one of the dogs pass gas next to the LP detector and set it off. Kinda surprised the dog too.
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
We had one of the dogs pass gas next to the LP detector and set it off. Kinda surprised the dog too.
Yeah, sure. Blame it on the dog. Works for me too.

1995 Coachmen Santara 360MB 36' w/slide.
Ford F53/460 chassis, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee "toad"
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote