Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #15

I have a GPS in both cars and the MH. When in the MH I have an up-to-date Rand McNally Atlas and a Truckers Atlas. I use Streets and Trips to define a direction and path. I check it against the Truckers Atlas and then (if everything works out) add it to the Magellan GPS. When driving if a change appears on the GPS I follow the Truckers Atlas. That said I agree with a previous post that said GPS are correct 90% of the time. Driving home from Denver (car) last winter the GPS wanted us to follow irrigation sprinklers thru a very large field. We got a good chuckle out of that.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Got a GPS in a rental car in Dallas a few years ago. We could not, for the life of us, get FRENCHIE to speak English to us! I learned to torne a gouche and torne a droit all around Dallas! It was interesting but would not want to do it in our rig! One time she wanted us to torne a gouche (turn left) into a construction ditch. Parisian witch!
Old 10-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #17
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Always carry paper maps.

Exactly.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #18

We have the Garmin 760RV unit as well. Even with all of the correct settings several times I've had out the atlas, gps on my phone and the Garmin! Not to mention a grumpy DH saying "where do you want me to go"!
I didn't answer with the first thought that came to mind for fear I'd be walking😜

2011 Serrano 31X
Wonderful Life
cuffumdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #19

Gotta love em. Type in my sticks and bricks address and end up at a boat landing parking lot. Yup, I am off the grid right in the middle of town. Life is ggod!!
Old 10-03-2015, 09:21 PM   #20

Up-date , before every trip , review every corner against a paper map , before you start driving and try to avoid finding signs like this.

Photo didn't load
Old 10-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #21

Trying again.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2015, 03:45 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Trying again.
been there, done that, no signs though.
garmin
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:21 AM   #23

Was driving on the interstate one day and decided to program the gps. I went back and lay down on the couch for a nap and the stupid gps put the coach in the ditch! Must have been defective.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:13 AM   #24

I normally double check the GPS on a map or Google maps, but this was a one hour drive across town from Townsend to Gatlinburg Tenn. I will never trust it again.
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:24 AM   #25

In the words of my hero Ronald Reagan "Trust but verify!!".

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 10-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I can't remember a time one of our Garmins took us into any uncomfortable area...
(other than through the neighborhood with bars on all the windows in southwest memphis !)

but, I DO keep the gps's software and maps up to date... ANY GPS has to have updated maps and software - continuously.
In my experience.. many issues are, like with computers, "user errors" :-}

I have gotten trained by my 4 or 5 garmins that you ALWAYS update the maps and software before every trip to new places...
and make sure you have the settings correct for the driving you will be doing.

I actually have a separate unit for the jeep just so I would not forget to change it from auto to rv setting - makes a BIG difference in the route calculations.

I actually blindly followed it going to new areas looking at houses in at least a 100 mile loop throughout Dallas - Fort Worth yesterday.... never took me astray...
Old 10-04-2015, 07:34 AM   #27

We rely only on the Rand McNally Truckers Atlas. Large print for old eyes. Red roads are generally a go but on occasion have chosen to avoid them. Our GPS is only a tool. But then again I'm a Truckers daughter who had to be able to map her way to remote destination and back in the 60's before the Trucker Dad would allow me to even get a learners permit
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #28

Aside from the obvious wrong road fiascos GPS routing will be constrained by the limits you put on it. If you say fastest it dives for interstates. IF you say most direct it looks at dirt roads going your way. That is why I always run a route on either Google or Street Atlas to see what my options are and adjust accordingly. I can run interstates but they are boring. I can run regular truck routes but they get bogged down in heavy metro areas. Picking a route that uses both is beyond most GPS units but makes a much more enjoyable trip. If I use Google map and move the route it will give me the difference in time and distance. Often it is a couple minutes and/or several miles. Changes that will be worth it just to vary the trip while I save a bit.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, rust