Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #43

My Garmin RV760 has led me astray exactly five times.

Three of those it wanted me to go down dirt roads and a cow path. Careful inspection of Garmin's map showed that all three were shown as paved roads and they were map errors; I sent in corrections and in the current Garmin maps they're shown correctly.

Flying around Atlanta on I-285 it kept wanting me to get off the highway. Turned out I had "Shortest" selected rather than "Fastest," and straight across Atlanta on surface streets was definitely shorter.

And in Louisiana it kept telling me to drive on top of the levee. I'd accidentally put a route point on the road on top of the levee rather than the road beside the levee and it was simply doing what I'd asked.

I think the reason I don't have much trouble is that I always plot out the route in Basecamp, look at it with Google Earth if possible and transfer the route to the GPS rather than just asking it to take me from point A to point B.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #44

My built in gps in my old Honda would take me to the gym when I navigated to work. I traded that car in.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:28 AM   #45

say what yall want I have a Garmin RV 760 and yes when in auto mode and not RV it has let us on some great adventures as we don't tell it not to go on dirt roads . Once when we left the RV and were tent camping it took us to a dirt road then said in 4 miles go off road to campground. I do mean off the road into the woods . all in all our GPS has done a great job I do keep it up to date on maps.
Thornhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:43 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Have the 760 and like it as a tool not as gospel. Make sure and set up your GPS routing options before you travel. We always use it in conjunction with both local maps and state maps. In areas we are really not familiar with I have been known to Google Map the route before we leave. The Google Earth mode gives you even more information. GPS like a compass is a tool intended to be used with other tools. And yes I also carry a compass.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #47
IC2

I generally carry two of those gadgets, a 760 and a 2597 or a 1450. I also carry a Michelin atlas and their #761 USA map as R-M road atlas's, IMO, now are barely usable off of interstates. I also either request a tourism book with a state road map if I'm going to pass through or even stop a few days or stop at the usual welcome center at most state lines and pick up a map. We don't do the smart phone routine yet (one really bad experience with Sprint has postponed the inevitable). Even with all that and even with setting the GPS units up correctly, Samantha or Agatha will try to send us in a direction I don't want to travel - i.e., leaving Cedar City, Utah to go to Grand Canyon. Regardless of how I tried 'forcing' a different route (length, height, weight) it still wanted us to travel Utah 14 which is twisting, turning, narrow, steep and rough. I had to drive to near St George, Utah then meander to pick up US89A/89 and 64 - but it was not a nasty trip with a 58 foot truck and 5er.

As others have said, a GPS is a tool and one you don't set blind faith in as you can have some 'interesting' experiences - like that secondary road that became a cow path last year in New Brunswick using the 2597. This entailed a long back up to turn around .....
Old 10-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #48

Jayco Owners Club
GPS for RVs

Take a look at the iPhone app CoPilot Premium...it has a setting for rvs...works great even when you're off grid since you download the maps directly to your phone...when we were cross country...we lost our signal many times...last trip out the CoPilot worked great and warned us about height and lpg restrictions
Old 10-27-2015, 06:19 AM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've enjoyed reading some these posts - very funny stuff.

Our technique for traveling (and we seem to do a lot of it) is to develop the route first on line using Good Sams trip planner. I am sure there are others but it is the one we use. Then, if there are mountains or large population centers, I begin reading online forums about the route. Then further use Google Maps with Google Earth. Using these 3 resources will keep you from making mistakes like traveling CA 1 between Leggett and Fort Bragg. Or taking US 14 West into Cody from I90.

We have a RM 7720 that is so extremely helpful for traveling a route that I am already know either by first hand experience or research. I trust the RM to advise for lane changes, distance to turn, rest stop locations, etc. But if the trip diverts over a route I am unfamiliar with, I will stop and become familiar. Unhooking to turn around is a pain but easy enough to get done. But routing over a propane restricted bridge, over through a restricted tunnel, or 180 degree switchbacks - is a REAL problem.

I am an old Army Cavalryman - I always insisted on a good route recon and now I apply that recon with a passion. You can never over prepare.

Safe travels and enjoy. And as we old 10th Cavalry troopers often responded "Ready and Forward - Scouts Out".

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
My last trip, the built in roadmaster gps led me astray. I needed to turn around and it kept wanting me to turn down these little dinky roads. When I did choose one I thought might work. I got stuck on a little round a bout and a tree branch through the roof cap and brush marks down the side. I fixed the hole with gorilla tape and have eternabond on order. What a mess.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
We were in New Mexico and decided to drive up to Taos, just because.

We made reservations at an RV park and they said the GPS would not work for their location but said "Take the first right at the stop light past the Hampton Inn" OK we drove into Taos and the Garmin 760 took us into the old town part of Taos, narrow roads and butt squeezing time. We drove through and turned around.

My wife's apple took us right to the place.

I then checked the location of the Hampton with the Garmin GPS in my jeep and it showed the same thing, that it was in the old part of town.

I had just updated both GPS's prior to the trip.

Lesson learned, will check on better address identifiers
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:54 AM   #52

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Always carry paper maps.
The problem with paper maps is that they do not always give you all the info you need, especially just how tight that turn is or how steep the climb.

Most GPS devices and routing software ASSUMES you are driving a car, not a motor home or truck.. You can override this but it may have to be done EVERY time you route.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:21 AM   #53

I have not read this entire post, but would like to share my experience with the RV760. What I have found is that if you select a pre loaded location and hit go, the unit will use the GPS co ordinance to give you a general location - close but no cigar. If I manually input the actual address of the that same place, the RV760 gives me the exact turn by turn direction without any problem. No dirt roads and no U turns.

Don't know why but this has worked for us.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:01 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Trust your GPS BUT ..... configure it properly. In almost all of the cases where you are left in an untenable predicament in an RV, the user has selected "SHORTEST ROUTE" and is getting just what they asked for - over the mountain rather than around it. If you select "FASTEST ROUTE", it might be a bit (or a lot) longer distance wise, but it is the route that - with the highest probability - will take major roadways.
Another warning - also from personal experience - be cautious with the "Avoid Tolls". I was going from Flint MI into Ontario expecting to cross at Port Huron. My GPS selected a route through Michigan, Ohio and New York state to the far eastern part of New York state where the first non Toll bridge was located to cross into Canada.
I am a firm believer in GPS but don't throw the GPS away for a route you may very well have unknowingly asked for based on your preference choices! Good luck and try again,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:20 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
We were in New Mexico and decided to drive up to Taos, just because.

We made reservations at an RV park and they said the GPS would not work for their location but said "Take the first right at the stop light past the Hampton Inn" OK we drove into Taos and the Garmin 760 took us into the old town part of Taos, narrow roads and butt squeezing time. We drove through and turned around.

My wife's apple took us right to the place.

I then checked the location of the Hampton with the Garmin GPS in my jeep and it showed the same thing, that it was in the old part of town.

I had just updated both GPS's prior to the trip.

Lesson learned, will check on better address identifiers
GPS information is only as good as the information provided to the GPS suppliers. When I worked building roads the highway information was not updated until all of the legal surveys were done and the plans updated and registered. Sometimes that information was three or more years after the construction was completed.

Once you saw the information was incorrect did you attempt to contact Garmin to tell them the information was incorrect. They have a website to enable you to do that. Not sure how seriously they take what is posted there but . . . . . .
Old 10-31-2015, 09:29 PM   #56

A friend was told not to follow his GPS for one leg of our trip. He did anyway, turned onto the highlighted road and kept on going. 2 hours after I was parked and drinking a longneck, he drove in the CG. He said that blacktop road turned into a gravel road, got narrower, then turned into a dirt road and got narrower. By the time he found a place in the forest open enough to disconnect and (his words) make a 34 point turn-around, his wife was in a panic. He said she shoved the paper route instructions at him, jumped in the drivers chair and told him to read the paper while she drove.

Sure glad I listened to my wife instead of the Garmin.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, rust