Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I don't have the patience to deal with dealerships, incompetence, broken promises, unexplainable parts replacements that have nothing to do with the failure I've taken it in for, exotic unsubstantiated labor charges, or the very worst, total BS explanations that assume complete ignorance on my part. (REALLY? You think I'm THAT stupid?)

That's why I do almost all of my own work whenever possible. -Al
+1 on that. If it is work I can not or don't want to do I will use a truck diesel shop before an RV dealer if possible. They work on trucks that absolutely need to be back in service since they are losing money. I think that makes most of those shops more responsible.

One time did I have a Freightliner shop kind of waltz me around so I showed up and asked for the keys back. He told me it will be done tomorrow and it was. Good enough.

And BTW I don't see any difference if your coach is a brand new million dollar unit or an old one. Your money is just as green and time just as valuable.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #16

Update: So here is the deal. I am supposed to be leaving for Loretta Lynn's National MX event on Friday the 26th of July. Months of area, and Regional qualification efforts have gone into this, to say nothing of the monetary investment of racing all over the North and South Central Region to qualify for the Nationals. So I made this appointment with Rush Trucks in OKC, Ok. on Tuesday the 9th of nJuly, they said it would be a week before they could get to it, but could "schedule it in" for Wednesday the 17th of July. I brought it in the evening of the 16th, talked to the "Med Truck Service Foreman", he said he would call me wed to let me know what the status was, and what the whole job looked like. No call Wed, I called Thursday, and Friday, wouldn't return my calls, drove out there this evening, RV is still parked where I left it, has not been so much as touched, the guy I have been dealing with is off already and no one else knows anything about it! I am pissed, there were other options earlier as far as getting it fixed and out at oteher places, I went with RUSH afyter they assured me they would get it in and out in plenty of time for me to go to Loretta's. I know this may seem petty but I am super pissed. I just don't gethow customer service can be so lacking. Sorry for the rant but I am just at whit's end trying to figure e this out. I too usually do all I can by myself as CSR is so lacking of late, I just (in this case) didn't want to get in over my head. Oh well,lesson learned, noboky cares more or will take better care of you than you!
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:50 AM   #17

At the very least, I would make sure the guy's boss/owner/manager knew you felt screwed over, and why? A note to the local BBB maybe?
Old 07-20-2013, 06:35 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZF571 View Post
I know this may seem petty but I am super pissed.
I don't think it is petty at all. I also would be pissed.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #19
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I feel for ya!
Usually the owner of the business doesn't know the shenanigans that occur and needs to be advised. If that doesn't get you some action, then it truly is a poorly run business and should be avoided in the future.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #20

We took our MH to our local Camping World last Monday for a Tuesday appt. expected to take 2 weeks to fulfill our list of repairs/replacements/mods. They began on Wed. To me that is a normal situation. Perhaps the assigned technician (CW gives you the name of the assigned tech at booking) did not complete the prior owners repair list in the allotted time per "the book", or perhaps the tech took a little more time to do the job well, when an "it'll do" approach would have met the allotted time.
I would much rather they do the job well instead of taking the "it'll do" approach.
P.S. There is a very good chance it may be 3-4 weeks for our MH, because they have to diagnose a specific problem, get it approved by the extended service folks, then order parts from Winnebago before they can proceed. Just as long as we get our MH back in time to spend Dec. in NASKW Key West I'm good.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #21

Wow, what a batch of sad stories. You'll pinpointed the issues that worried me most about buying my first RV. Everyone says it's part of the game new or used and I had to decide how much I would be willing to spend to avoid such stories heard here. I went from looking at and reading about the Entrega line, to the Newmar's, then started studying the Prevost over precieved safety issues and finally settled on looking at the Newell coaches. They were the only forum group that had almost zero complaints and everyone loved their coaches regardless of age. Like some of you, I don't want to get ticked off over something that could spoil the vacation of a lifetime and I sure don't want things to be breaking down when it is brand spankin new! I know, they all can and will do it but when it does, I want someone on it and it fixed within a reasonable timeline. If I'm on the road, I want it fixed now. I've worked for this for 40 years and I don't want my enjoyment years spoiled by the danger of getting a lemon. So I see the only chance of avoiding such issues it to blow the money it takes to have it your way. Can't get around the fact that it takes money to get around such aggravations. We get what we can afford, not what we deserve. Sure is a shame!
Christian51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #22

Can relate to all of these reports. Last June, took coach to the only RV shop in my area with an electrical problem in the engine bay. Needed it by mid August for a planned trip. Phoned week before I needed it and was told they hadn't worked on it yet. I was not impressed. Drove down there the next day - an hour drive , to rattle some cages. Guess what, they were working on it. Week later still no coach and no they didn't know what was wrong. Week later same thing - now into vacation time. Took a 5day bike trip instead and got back to no further headway. Called local Cat dealer and they said have it towed to them and they would get it done. Had it towed and next day they had it in shop and had the problem identified. Two days later I had it back and it has worked the best it has since i owned it. Month later got a bill from the RV shop for $2600 for their diagnostic work. For my Ontario neighbours, the RV place w McPhails in Harriston. Needless to say, I won't buy anything from them again.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #23

If we could hold RV dealers and their service departments to the same standards we hold our car and truck dealers to, life would be much easier, at least for us. But, there are several problems with that. First and foremost, the sign out front doesn't say Tony's Winnebago or Tony's Monaco, it say's Tony's RV, and I would believe ( dealer folk, correct me if I'm wrong ) the techs don't get anywhere near the training and schooling like they would get at Tony's Mercedes-Benz ( used MB, since most RV's cost more ) I don't remember seeing patches on my dealers guys sleeve saying " Certified Cabinet Guy" or anything like that.
Secondly, if parts need to be ordered, many can't be ordered through the RV manufacturer, rather through the supplier of whatever part needs repair, and that can add time to the process, as, in our case WE had to tell our dealer who supplied the hydronic levelers. Because they maybe don't have, or know how to use the tools the builders have available?
...and third, as long as the dealers AS well as the RV manufacturer can get away with customer service that would not be accepted in any other business ( with the possible exception of tele-comm ) and WE all just shrug our shoulders and say "oh well" I'm thinking nothing'll change.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #24
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy27 View Post
Can relate to all of these reports. Last June, took coach to the only RV shop in my area with an electrical problem in the engine bay. Needed it by mid August for a planned trip. Phoned week before I needed it and was told they hadn't worked on it yet. I was not impressed. Drove down there the next day - an hour drive , to rattle some cages. Guess what, they were working on it. Week later still no coach and no they didn't know what was wrong. Week later same thing - now into vacation time. Took a 5day bike trip instead and got back to no further headway. Called local Cat dealer and they said have it towed to them and they would get it done. Had it towed and next day they had it in shop and had the problem identified. Two days later I had it back and it has worked the best it has since i owned it. Month later got a bill from the RV shop for $2600 for their diagnostic work. For my Ontario neighbours, the RV place w McPhails in Harriston. Needless to say, I won't buy anything from them again.
An inexperienced tech can spend days at $100 per hour trying to figure out a problem!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch

An inexperienced tech can spend days at $100 per hour trying to figure out a problem!
That's why I always waste many hours eliminating the easy stuff.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
I guess I'm lucky. I live approx. 25 from one of Our sponsors, Brazel RV Performance Center. Everytime I take my Moho to them for service they ask when I need it back by. They schedule an appointment I take it to them and they begin work on it. Only times I didn't get the Moho back the same day is I didn't feel like going back the same day.

I think if you looked for small shops to work on your Moho you would be surprised and happy at how well they do the work for you.

jack r
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
We have had great luck with Best Value RV and Service in Denton TX. Exit 472 (Ganzer rd) on I-35 stay on South bound service rd. Roger Crawford is the service manager there. If you need service in the area give them a try. And they're only 15 minutes from the S&B.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #28

UPDATE to the UPDATE: So RUSH Trucks called me late this morning, here is what they had to say.
8700 West I-40
Oklahoma City, OK 73128
Local: 405-782-3500
I was called to ask how to start the RV in spite of the fact that I gave the Med Truck Service Advisor (Benton) very specific directions, and in the RV itself I detailed where the breaker was and I taped a big sign saying "Flip This Switch to Start Engine!" on the pannel itself. Anyway through the course of this coversation I asked the lady why I wasn't, called, or why hadn't the job been started. She of course was very sorry, and couldn't say why. However she did tell me that they were pretty sure I needed a new transmission. I asked her really, how is it possible that you guys who can't figure out how to start an RV with detailed instructions, can tell I need a new transmission without so much as moving the RV. She said that is just what happens to them, yes I'm serious. I told her the unit had around 20K on it, the tranmission works fine, that it is the VSS sensor on it that needed replaced as the drive/driven gears had been stripped off, again she said they wanted to replace the transmission. I of course departed work went to RUSH Trucks got my RV keys and probably should have just left...........But, I had to ask Benton, how all of this came about. He had no answer, in desperation he finially (I call it) panic lied, said they had been trying to call me for days. I was like come on, that is a straight up lie, I have voicemail, and caller ID, you are totally and completely lying. ANyway, he couldn't look at me in the eyes, yet wouldn't come off the story. Totally and completely shocking to me. After the fact I read a review from a RV'er going through OKC who had to have work done there who basically said avoid them, they lied about parts, lied about being able ro fix his unit, wasted his time and didn't fix anything!
Just wanted everyone to know, if your on your way through OKC and need repairs, avoid RUCH truck center like the plague!
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote