RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Door locks - double key?

Sadly our coach was broken into last night. They smashed the passenger window, reached in and turned the deadbolt. Luck for us they just took our 2 tvs and nothing else. Other rigs parked near ours were also ransacked (one guys said they threw everything out of the cabinets) Same entry method on each rig. My question is this: does anyone have a double key entry lock? (meaning you need a key from both sides rather than a knob on the inside) Not sure if it would've prevented the theft, but it would've been difficult to squeeze a body through a locked door and then how to get the tv out?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #2

Very unsafe in an emergency as it is hard to get a key into the key hole if shaken or Adrenalin is pumping.. highly not recommended .. add a secondary lock with dbl key no problem but not one you plan to lock while in use at all.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Back in the olden days, my apartment in college had just this sort of deadbolt. I hung my keys in the inside keyway while home.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We are thinking about putting the extra lock (double key) just for storage purposes. We're moving our rig to a new storage place (hopefully with better security) Thanks
Old 06-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #5

I think once they are in, the easier they can get out will result in less damage. After kicking on that locked door, and if it held, they would just go back with your tvs the way they came in and move on.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #6

Are any RVs really secure? But then again, no house is as most folks like to believe.

A second double keyed deadbolt will slow entry and exit. But not a slow down a crowbar. I've never tried a crowbar, but after seeing how their built, seems easy if I'm not not mistaken.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #7

Yes, if a thief wants to get in, he will, but in the case of the OP, a double cylinder deadbolt would probably have stopped the entry. The thief would not be able to undo the bolt from the inside by reaching in, and likely would have moved on to a more traditional target, leaving behind a broken window.

For safety, leave the key, or a copy, in the inside lock when occupying the coach, and remove it when you leave.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:35 AM   #8

If I was concerned about breaking in this way, I would install an expanded metal grill on the inside of the window.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
A simple $12.95 door alarm from Wal-Mart would probably have spooked them enough to get out of Dodge!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #10

Absolutely double key your deadbolt lock. The more you can slow down entry and exit the better off you are. You're going to suffer the broken window either way, but not being able to get in easily after breaking the window will drive the bad guys to the next rig over. The same is true with your house. If they have to take all the valuables out the same window they came in, they often times leave without taking anything, or just taking the fast small stuff they can grab.

Please explain to me the difference of having a thumb turn on the inside or leaving a key in the lock on the inside in case of emergency. There is no fumbling for keys, the key is already in the lock. We're talking about a rig in storage which is when the key would be removed. I've lived for decades with double key deadbolts. When we leave the rig or house for a significant time we take the extra keys out. When we're "living" in the rig or house, we leave the keys in. Most big box stores will now rekey for you so all the locks use the same key which is very convenient. You can also buy padlocks which will use the same key.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
Absolutely double key your deadbolt lock. The more you can slow down entry and exit the better off you are. You're going to suffer the broken window either way, but not being able to get in easily after breaking the window will drive the bad guys to the next rig over. The same is true with your house. If they have to take all the valuables out the same window they came in, they often times leave without taking anything, or just taking the fast small stuff they can grab.

Please explain to me the difference of having a thumb turn on the inside or leaving a key in the lock on the inside in case of emergency. There is no fumbling for keys, the key is already in the lock. We're talking about a rig in storage which is when the key would be removed. I've lived for decades with double key deadbolts. When we leave the rig or house for a significant time we take the extra keys out. When we're "living" in the rig or house, we leave the keys in. Most big box stores will now rekey for you so all the locks use the same key which is very convenient. You can also buy padlocks which will use the same key.

Agree, 100%^^

You cannot stop a determined thief, but you can deter him, depending on the circumstances. For the most part, these are crimes of opportunity and the thief wants an easy and rapid in/out. Anything that slows him, makes the opportunity less desirable and he will often move on. Time is not the friend of the thief unless he knows no one will be around, like in a storage yard. Even then, he wants to move quickly as he never knows when someone may suddenly come in. In a camp ground, it is even less tempting due to all the activity, except in cases of remote sites and the victim being watched.

The best deterrence is to prevent entry in the first place because, once inside, even a double cylinder dead bolt can be easily removed with a screwdriver and those large, fully opening emergency windows provide easy escape and object removal.

The OP was about one type of theft and, in his situation, deterrence from entry would have likely stopped the thief. From what I've read/observed, break-ins into RVs is relatively rare outside of storage facilities, but they do happen. Double cylinder dead bolts can be a safe, additional protection from those events.

Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door