Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Double booked sites

How many of you have showed up at a local CG and found that the site you reserved was given to another camper? Had my third encounter with this at Haas Lake in M.I.. I know, shame on me for letting it happen that many times. It will never happen again!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Never happened to us. We don't make a lot of reservations but when we do we almost always are asked for a deposit. Did you give a deposit on these three occasions?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We don't usually reserve, but never had this happen. We have worked at two campgrounds now and have never double booked. Sometimes it is necessary to move someone to a site better suited to their rig, but it's not something done as a rule.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We paid half the charges upon making the reservation on all three occassions. I have never had a problem anywhere else, again shame on me for taking the third strike.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Community Administrator

It's not your fault. What did they do with your deposit? Did you have to leave or did they assign a different site?

Old 06-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #6

We usually boondock but we made reservations for next weekend at Lake Silverwood... they better not give away our spot unless they're willing to give us a better one! (which is highly unlikely as its completely booked)
Old 06-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I paid a "50%" deposit on a site and got there to find it already occupied, I'd be wanting 150% back.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #8

On the other hand, we are "Park Hosting" at a state campground in a city that has a LOT of entertainment available.

What we see are the campers who slip into the campground, dump their rigs on a site that is obviously reserved, then skedattle out of the park to go see a show, not returning unitl 10 or 11 PM. By that time the true people that have the site reserved are in another site or have gotten mad and gone to another campground.

The management ought to have the rigs towed, but there are so many liabilities with that that they are scared to.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We were offered a different site, but after this happening the third time I requested and got a refund and we went back home. Also cancelled the week of the 4th. Got lucky and was able to reserve our favorite site at Proud Lake in Wixom, MI for the week of the 4th.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
Community Administrator

I misread your post. If its the third time at the same place , then you know what they say. " do it to me once, shame on you. Do it to me twice, shame on me". I don't know what they say when it's the third time , but I don't think it would be allowed here. Glad you found another place.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
I agree, if it was the third time at the same CG, well...I wouldn't be heading there any time soon.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #12

We were in the lodging business for a decade before we retired and the largest problem we had was people cancelling at the last minute and then threatening to dispute the credit card charges and saying they had called and cancelled. In this era of internet review sites, an unhappy guest can cost a business very dearly. The owner may have "overbooked" to protect themselves. In all likelihood, it was a matter of stupidity or carelessness. A way to prevent this in future is to call the campground in the early afternoon and confirm that you are coming and ask for a site number.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Clifftall, you are right. I'm ashamed I let it happen to me 3x. By the way I am in the multi-family housing industry. My primary resposability is to insure that the home is ready for move-in on the assigned date. We have over 1 thousand rental units. My rule is that it cannot not happen.(the move in) I have caught many errors on the staffs part but they were caught within hours and corrected, not at the time of move in. I can't believe that we are so unlucky that it has happened to only us, therefore the warning to others. By the way, the refund to my credit card turned out to be an additional charge to my account. Not only was the sight double booked, it was double billed!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #14

I'm thinking that I would not only be getting my deposit back but fuel charges as well! Gas aint cheap and my motorhome isn't exactly a commuter car!