Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Down for the year!!

Well, due to impending back surgery, looks like the little blue coach will be a very expensive driveway ornament for the rest of the year. I am going to have to have a spinal fusion surgery and I don't think I am going to be climbing in and out of the coach anytime soon. Husband will use the time doing his remodeling inside and taking care of me while I recover. I can't wait to get back out, but can't enjoy it with the back the way it is. So I will be patient and work hard to get back in my navigator chair!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good luck with the surgery. Follow the re-hab orders and you may heal faster than projected.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #3

Good luck on your surgery, we haven't been able to use our MH yet this year as I had a major shoulder surgery the first week of February, so I know how you feel. I go out and look at the MH everyday, and think of better places we could be. We were hoping to be able to travel by June, but the DR is talking about a second surgery in May to remove some scar tissue. Try to be patient, it will be hard, go to your PT and hope for a quick recovery.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good luck with your surgery.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #5

Good Luck with the surgery and get back out there soon!
jason1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
When my wife had her spinal fusion she was down for about 2 months before she felt comfortable enough to travel. She had to wear a bob brace I think if was called. For her right after the surgery the back pain was gone and just the pain from surgery remained for a while she had anterior surgery on the L5/S1. I bet by end end of July you will feel comfortable enough to travel, smooth roads of course. Lol. Good luck with surgery. Wife goes back tomorrow for an MRI reading, she has another area causing compression now. The first surgery was in 2000 so she got about 13 years out of it with very little pain. Last couple of years has been wearing on her.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #7

One year ago tomorrow I went in for lower back spinal fusion. I now have 8 screws, one plate, and two beams and a set of small bone baskets holding me together. I was slowed way down for the first month, doing some farm work and maintenance on the coach the second month, and we left for a 3 month cross country trip the day my 3rd month was up. My doctor said I could toss the back brace and made me promise that I would walk/hike as many hours as we drove. We did almost 95 miles of hiking on that trip.

Hang in there, and do what they all tell you to do. You will be ready to tackle the world sooner rather than later. Good Luck and God Bless.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you all for the well wishes. I am actually looking forward to waking up with no sciatic pain!! So the surgery is welcome. and I will do what the doctor orders, I promise. I love to walk and hike and not being able to even manage grocery store trips without pain is really too much. I want my life back!
Old 04-24-2015, 12:06 AM   #9

There is never a 'good' time for any kind of surgery. I sure hope that things go well, just remember to follow the doctors orders and you will heal faster/better and be on the road again soon!
Keep us posted on how your surgery goes as well as recovery.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:40 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd like to wish you the very best with your recovery.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:42 AM   #11

With the new minimally invasive techniques which I hope your Dr. is doing, you're going to be surprised how quickly you'll be feeling better. I didn't have a fusion, but a laminectomy to relieve pressure on the nerves. I had pain shooting down my right leg pretty bad. And a funny thing, I couldn't walk on my heels, but I could on my toes. The surgery was a piece of cake. I was walking 2 miles starting the very next day, and all I had was a bandaid to cover the incision. And it wasn't Laser Spine Institute who did the surgery. A good board certified neurosurgeon can do it. But I wouldn't want anyone who would use a large incision. My surgeon said even a fusion can be done minimally invasive.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:04 AM   #12

AZ recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGypsie View Post
Well, due to impending back surgery, looks like the little blue coach will be a very expensive driveway ornament for the rest of the year. I am going to have to have a spinal fusion surgery and I don't think I am going to be climbing in and out of the coach anytime soon. Husband will use the time doing his remodeling inside and taking care of me while I recover. I can't wait to get back out, but can't enjoy it with the back the way it is. So I will be patient and work hard to get back in my navigator chair!
Wishing you a speedy recovery. We lived in AZ for a few years,( good medical services there) and I can't think of a nicer place to recoup !
Old 04-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck, I just had mine in Dec of last year and am doing well. The first month sucks, felt like I was sleeping on a TV remote. I was mostly off pain meds within a week of getting home, and only took them as needed with is not often. I had mine done up in Phx, they have gone through the stomach and the back, the back is much easier. Listen to your doc and you will be back on the road in no time.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:12 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
AZGypise good luck on the surgery. You have the positive attitude, so you will be back on the road. Don't worry about the ornament thing. My rig was a backyard ornament for 5 years, because of the wife's health issue. She passed away almost 2 years ago. The rig is now on the road often. Hang in there.
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.

Bill----WWJU
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote