Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #1

Down-sizing... Condo versus RV

Hi Everyone! Hope your summer adventures are going without a hitch!

Sorry, had to open with a pun.... shoot me now!

I've recently started considering living the mini-home life, and ditching my condo. I'm single, unencumbered, and like the idea of being able to change where I live seasonally.

I have the truck I need (TWR - 6400, GCVW - 12k), ideas on how to sell/store my unneeded belongings, an idea of which trailer best fits what I want (JayCo's Jay Flight SLX 265RLS), but I am having trouble finding parks that supply full hookups and long-term stays.

Any advice would be appreciated since all I'm finding is short term camp grounds and senior living modular home sites.

Thanks in advance!
cbensonpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
There are many / hundreds of RV parks that will let you live there full time. Many should be called "trailer parks" but there are also many nice parks and "resorts that allow full time.

California Full-Time RV Parks | USA Today

Only you can decide what type/brand suits your needs. You have to do the leg work. Too many variables....
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the info adamfolger. I figured I'd have to do the research, but hadn't yet considered the term "trailer parks" or "resorts". I'll look into that. [emoji848]
Old 09-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Check out Escapees! They have many parks around the USA, some association owned and some co-op, with monthly rates less than $400! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbensonpa View Post
Hi Everyone! Hope your summer adventures are going without a hitch!

Sorry, had to open with a pun.... shoot me now!

I've recently started considering living the mini-home life, and ditching my condo. I'm single, unencumbered, and like the idea of being able to change where I live seasonally.

I have the truck I need (TWR - 6400, GCVW - 12k), ideas on how to sell/store my unneeded belongings, an idea of which trailer best fits what I want (JayCo's Jay Flight SLX 265RLS), but I am having trouble finding parks that supply full hookups and long-term stays.

Any advice would be appreciated since all I'm finding is short term camp grounds and senior living modular home sites.

Thanks in advance!
Start by going thru everything you own and laying aside things you think "why do I even have this?" and set it aside for a week or two. Then look thru it again and either donate it or put it back into your "keep" pile.
After doing this for about 6 months, then and only then should you starting considering sizes. Storing is just dumb. Sorry. It wastes money, goes to waste and worst of all doesn't benefit someone else in some small way.
I personally, would not ever 5th wheel it but if you are stuck with your truck.....
Even if I hadn't had my two sons to consider, I wouldn't have started out with less than a 32 footer but for you, deciding that can be determined easier by seeing how much possessions you can part with.
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #6

Thanks to all who responded. I think I’ve now found the RV park where I’ll initially hook up. But now I am considering ownerships costs. Specifically, I want to know typical insurance costs. I know this likely varies by make/model, features, intended/actual usage, ET al, but I’ve been unable to find any kind of generic online estimates. Does anyone mind sharing what you spend per month/year in RV insurance? For comparative purposes, I am looking at a 30-foot travel trailer that I’ll migrate between Florida and Maine every 6 months with the occasional side trip here and there. Your feedback is much appreciated!
Old 09-27-2017, 11:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where are you going to register it? That will play a big part in the insurance rate.

Our granddaughter moved six miles from Clovis into Fresno. Her insurance went up $200 a year. She called the insurance company and they told her the rate was based on her zip code.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:24 PM   #8

Suburbs of Philadelphia. Zip code 19044. Does that help?
Old 09-28-2017, 01:42 AM   #9

You can call a few insurance brokers and get some quotes.

Pick two or three possible units that you may buy.

New and used.

Financed or not.

And get quotes.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:53 PM   #10

Thank you, Arch for the comparative, and John for the obvious option, but I am looking for a more general figure. I know that registering in one zip code versus another can impact costs, but I just want a range...$200/mo, $500/mo, $1,000/mo... what is the average? Also, I visited a campsite today that reported a typical reservation period of 12-15 months (e.g. they’re booked for the next 12 months). Is this typical?
Old 10-06-2017, 05:03 AM   #11

Our class a full coverage from progressive is 53 dollars a month
Philswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #12

You're doing the right thing by starting to research things. Keep reading here, and over under the Full-Timer's section of IRV2. The mentioned Escapees Forum, is also a great source to read posts on the subject. Many, many threads on the subject of downsizing, and Full Timing considerations.

A few observations:
> Does not winter hit your area from time to time? If so, be sure to look for a Four Season unit, and consider also the costs of getting a park model rental larger propane tank to handle heating...
> Understand that many parks that allow monthly discounts, then ask you to pay of your own electricity too. So ask the park what an average cost range might be, for budgeting reasons.
> Less is best! So if something is very sentimental to you, and you can't ask a family or friend to hold that for you - then factor the costs of storage.
> When looking into costs of insurance on an RV of any kind, be sure to ask for quotes as a 'Full Timer' - as rates will be higher, but coverage will be greater too.
> Go slow, read up on this carefully on this forum and others. Start of list of areas to research further.
> And if you've never RV'd for any period of time before. Maybe try to locate a private one to rent for a few months, to see if you like it... You may find you don't.

Best of luck to you, and for sure not trying to say not too - but to be aware of all of the ramifications going in...

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #13

Philswrench, thank you for the dollar amount.

Smitty, thank you for the detailed advice. I am in the Philadelphia region, so yes winters can be a bit harsh sometimes (though not nearly as harsh as some Northern states), but I’m not planning on staying in this region during the winter season.

Knowing now that the local park where I planned to stay for the first few months of RV ownership requires 12-months advanced booking makes me wonder if I should just forget the short-term local stay and just work towards my first desired destination away from Philadelphia.

As for storage, I don’t really have anything that I feel sentimental about. The hardest part will just be getting rid of my furniture; some I’ll just discard, some I’ll donate, and some I’ll try to sell. It’s just about getting the timing right so as to avoid sitting in an empty condo. And yes, I definitely intend to rent for a short period of time before I buy; I understand that buying an RV and the full-time RV-living lifestyle is a huge investment, both financially and psychologically.

Thanks for your other budgeting suggestions as well. I had no idea that insurance differed for full timers; I guess I figured that because it is a road-worthy vehicle, it would follow the same guidelines as any car or truck one would insure regardless of how often that vehicle is actually on the road.

I appreciate everyone’s comments and suggestions! Happy camping to all.