Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Downsizing to my motorhome. Are we crazy

Well my wings have been clipped as i need to go into my office 2 - 3 days a week where I was previously a full time telecommuter for the past 7 years. I would do 3 - 4 months in the RV (winter where it was warm) then 3 months in the sticks and bricks.
My commute from the sticks and bricks is 1 - 2 hours each way to the office. So we decided to sell our sticks and bricks and live full time in our RV and stay at a RV park that is 15 - 20 min away from my office. Has anyone else been in this situation or done the same thing?

Am I crazy to give up my 5k sq ft home to stay in a RV park full time in 430 sq ft?

By doing this I will save on gas/wear and tear on my car. I will also not have taxes/mortgage/utilities/RV storage costs etc... anymore. I am in North East GA near Lake lanier, so it still gets cold here Dec - Mar.
ssignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #2

It depends upon how many years you will be doing it. Atl area is a hot real estate market, so you could be passing up on making money on a home.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:20 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
It depends upon how many years you will be doing it. Atl area is a hot real estate market, so you could be passing up on making money on a home.
I am thinking 1 - 2 years then retire hopefully. That is why I am selling now as it appears to be a hot market and that could change real quickly. I can get enough to be debt free with cash and then save more for an upgrade and retirement. We do not need the house we are living in as it is just too big for the 2 of us.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:31 AM   #4

My question is how do you plan on living once you retire? We will never full time for a variety of reasons but one of them is giving up our hobby spaces. That puts us in the keep the S&B camp. If you don't have that kind of issue then sell out and think about what to do next.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
My question is how do you plan on living once you retire? We will never full time for a variety of reasons but one of them is giving up our hobby spaces. That puts us in the keep the S&B camp. If you don't have that kind of issue then sell out and think about what to do next.
We do not have hobbies that require home space. Golf/Bowling etc.. are our hobbies. We plan on traveling and staying wherever we want for as long as we want within North America. Lots of places to see.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:34 AM   #6

My wife & are are in a similar situation and are having a similar discussion. What it's coming down to for us is we still "need" the stick home, it doesn't have to be in the high-priced are near an employer. Some thinking that we will sell the current stick house and buy another in a lower cost area with room to park the motor home on-site. I'd consider the 'casita' or 'RV port' developments for MHs but I've not found one in an area in which I'd like to live
Old 12-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think I would stay in my house and commute. As quickly as your job changed, it could change back. I did a 1-2 hour commute for 35 years, I don't think doing it for 1-2 years will kill you. It can actually be a good time to do business....to and from work.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I could do the RV thing in a minute... I like your Coach, btw...

If you find a good place, convenient, good neighbors, etc...I think you’ll be happy. On the flip side...if you find a place not so fulfilling...it could leave you wanting for home. The nice thing is...if you’re not thrilled, drive away and find another space.

We’re not getting rid of our house...but are playing roulette with going full-time. I’m a pilot on a shrinking bid status. Should they displace me, we’ve decided to head out to Dallas, so I can fly the 787 as an FO for a little while. Then I would bid back to my base in MIA when we have seen enough of Texas...to fly Captain again on the A320. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn’t, it doesn’t.

When I reach 65...and quit flying professionally —- we plan on doing multiple jaunts each year of one to three months. It will be a new found freedom...and we’ll have to see what floats our proverbial boat. I am looking forward to the journey.

You said a 1-2 hour commute...in Atlanta doesn’t that equate to about 15 miles???

Just kidding. I grew up there...mostly Smyrna, a handful of years closer to Decatur. Lots of things to do...just too much traffic these days.

Anyway...have fun!! Sorry you got roped into office work from telecommuting :(
Old 12-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think I would stay in my house and commute. As quickly as your job changed, it could change back. I did a 1-2 hour commute for 35 years, I don't think doing it for 1-2 years will kill you. It can actually be a good time to do business....to and from work.
I am not willing to do that commute anymore. It gets really frustrating and doing business while driving is not safe or appealing. I am in IT and need to look at the computer. If my job requirements do change then I am already in the coach and ready to travel and work from where ever I choose. No housing responsibilities except the one on wheels.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I could do the RV thing in a minute... I like your Coach, btw...

If you find a good place, convenient, good neighbors, etc...I think you’ll be happy. On the flip side...if you find a place not so fulfilling...it could leave you wanting for home. The nice thing is...if you’re not thrilled, drive away and find another space.

We’re not getting rid of our house...but are playing roulette with going full-time. I’m a pilot on a shrinking bid status. Should they displace me, we’ve decided to head out to Dallas, so I can fly the 787 as an FO for a little while. Then I would bid back to my base in MIA when we have seen enough of Texas...to fly Captain again on the A320. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn’t, it doesn’t.

When I reach 65...and quit flying professionally —- we plan on doing multiple jaunts each year of one to three months. It will be a new found freedom...and we’ll have to see what floats our proverbial boat. I am looking forward to the journey.

You said a 1-2 hour commute...in Atlanta doesn’t that equate to about 15 miles???

Just kidding. I grew up there...mostly Smyrna, a handful of years closer to Decatur. Lots of things to do...just too much traffic these days.

Anyway...have fun!! Sorry you got roped into office work from telecommuting :(
C.Martin it is actually 23 miles. No East to West highways (Lawrenceville <--> Alpharetta)
Old 12-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Go for it!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:33 PM   #12

I think what your plans are would be ideal for you. Go for it!! Yes, there are thousands and thousands out there doing what you want to do. When you start traveling you'll find them. We were so fortunate to have done it for 16 awesome years. Wouldn't have traded it for anything. The market is at an all-time high right now but it's not going to last. Sell your home and invest wisely.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #13

How about both? That is bargain with employer to remain a WFH and relocate the rig to a nice location?

Is there such a thing in the ATL area as a reasonable commute?
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would say go-for-it. If you both should decide that you really do not like living in an RV, buy another house. New listings come on the market in every city in the country, every day.
Just imagine how many commuting hours you are spending driving back and forth to work each day just to satisfy the financial commitment that owning the house requires. A lot!
I can also assure you that all of the things that you possess in your home are not necessary to be comfortable. They are just stuff. You spent a lot of hours on the road to go to work to pay for stuff. Think about it.

Good luck with the decision, it sounds like it has already been made. You are trying to get used to how it really sounds. Sounds good to me. JMHO
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome