Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #15

....and this is why I wont use key-locking pins on my tow bar--every second counts getting the toad unhooked!!!!!!

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Anything less than remote controlled explosive charges probably would not have helped save the toad - so sad !

Maybe I will look into those fire suppression kits after all !

Old 03-20-2016, 08:09 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Glen-- That was it as there were 100's of Motor Homes all parked at the complex just off I 75 . I went by there around 7 am this morning .
Chuck - Brownsburg?????

Me too - what a small world.

What side of town are you on......I am in SoBro (South Brownsburg) nor far from Frezee's Garden Center......

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
We live on 1000 E off 56th St near Hession Farms.
On my way home from the Gator Nationals in Gainesville Fla,
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anybody have any experience with Elide Fireball USA for fighting fires? If they work as advertised they might have saved the toad at least.

Home

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:40 PM   #20

I don't believe that my older DP has any sensors that will warn the driver that this is happening if caused by an oil or fuel leak. Do the new DP's have any such sensors? (i.e. Compartment temperature vs any internal temperatures)
Old 03-20-2016, 10:12 PM   #21

What a shame. You hate to see things like that.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:15 PM   #22

that is horrible!! hope all of them are ok.

fire is the biggest concern in rving. on the road when engine starts fire, normally the driver won't know until it becomes uncontrollable. for that very reason, i installed a video camera in the engine bay and routed to a display on the dash. while driving, i glance it for any sign of abnormalities. i know it won't stop fire but at least it will buy me an action time.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:34 PM   #23
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
that is a horrible tragedy!! hope all of them are ok.

fire is a the biggest concern in rving. on the road when engine starts fire, normally the driver won't know until it becomes uncontrollable. for that very reason, i installed a video camera in the engine bay and routed to a display on the dash. while driving, i glance it for any sign of abnormalities. i know it won't stop fire but at least it will buy me an action time.

That's a darn good idea. Think I'll copy it. That fire suppression equipment mentioned earlier looks attractive also.

I sure hate to see folks suffering this tragedy. This one makes the second fire today, and the third one this week. so sorry for their loss.

W.D.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Anybody have any experience with Elide Fireball USA for fighting fires? If they work as advertised they might have saved the toad at least.

Home

Jon
the fireball is innovative, but in some cases it may not work well. like on engine, when fire is going on in engine bay, you throw a fireball to it, well, it'll take 3 seconds to activate, but within 3 seconds, the ball would have rolled to the ground already, it won't have effect to the fire on the mid air on engine.

i carry two 5lbs halotron.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:05 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
the fireball is innovative, but in some cases it may not work well. like on engine, when fire is going on in engine bay, you throw a fireball to it, well, it'll take 3 seconds to activate, but within 3 seconds, the ball would have rolled to the ground already, it won't have effect to the fire on the mid air on engine.

i carry two 5lbs halotron.

The videos on the site also show the balls in baskets mounted above the fire prone areas so that they would go off automatically if a fire broke out. They also have an alarm to let you know there is a fire.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
The videos on the site also show the balls in baskets mounted above the fire prone areas so that they would go off automatically if a fire broke out. They also have an alarm to let you know there is a fire.

Jon
oops i missed that. if so, that would be a viable solution. we can hang it right above the engine but make sure it won't self set off when engine temp is high particularly in summer but no fire.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:28 AM   #27

Quote:
oops i missed that. if so, that would be a viable solution. we can hang it right above the engine but make sure it won't self set off when engine temp is high particularly in summer but no fire.

With the engine running, the radiator fan is creating an air flow through the engine compartment. The fire would have to be detected downstream of the point of ignition. However, to be effective, a retardant would have to be released upstream of the fire. If the engine is still running and the fuel is still leaking, it would probably re-ignite once the retardant was fully expended.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #28

Have not heard of OEM sensors, but maybe in a very high-end coach. Have seen after market discharge systems that mount to ceiling of engine compartment and activate based on high heat--you can buy a remote sensor to connect to the system so you know in the cab, when it discharges. Think they also make systems for RV refridges.....now that might be a really good idea.....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, motorhome