Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #1

Dripping from City Water Connection

hey iRV2ers,

I have a question that I am hoping you can help me with. I am pretty new to RVing as we bought our rig about a year and a half ago. I have 3 young kids, so we go out as often as we can, which turns out to be about once per month, even if just for an overnight trip to a local park.

Anyway, my issue is with my city water connection. It always drips. When I bought the RV it came with a cheapo blue plastic adapter to connect my drinking water hose to the city water connection. In my attempt to stop the leaks I bought one that I thought was better that has a small spring and a plastic, yellow connector at the end that connects to the hose. Still leaks. It's not a super fast leak, but enough of one where I feel a bit embarrassed that as I walk around the various RV parks and campgrounds that we have stayed at that I don't notice other RVs with this same issue. Plus, in the winter it makes an ice slick which is downright dangerous.

Can or should I replace the city water connector on the RV itself? Is there something still with the adapter that I am connecting to the drinking water hose? Anyone out there with this same experience have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!
smasiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasiello View Post
hey iRV2ers,

I have a question that I am hoping you can help me with. I am pretty new to RVing as we bought our rig about a year and a half ago. I have 3 young kids, so we go out as often as we can, which turns out to be about once per month, even if just for an overnight trip to a local park.

Anyway, my issue is with my city water connection. It always drips. When I bought the RV it came with a cheapo blue plastic adapter to connect my drinking water hose to the city water connection. In my attempt to stop the leaks I bought one that I thought was better that has a small spring and a plastic, yellow connector at the end that connects to the hose. Still leaks. It's not a super fast leak, but enough of one where I feel a bit embarrassed that as I walk around the various RV parks and campgrounds that we have stayed at that I don't notice other RVs with this same issue. Plus, in the winter it makes an ice slick which is downright dangerous.

Can or should I replace the city water connector on the RV itself? Is there something still with the adapter that I am connecting to the drinking water hose? Anyone out there with this same experience have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Might be as simple as a missing or smashed gasket. I carry a couple of spares.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
City water connection contains a check valve. The valve may have a bit of debris causing the leak, ( toggle the pin a few times) but more likely it is bad and can easily be replaced.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The check valve would not cause a leak to the ground. Is the city water connection fitted with a pressure regulator as part of the hose connection? Check the back side of it to see if the 4 screws need tightening.

Otherwise get a supply of water hose washers and change it if needed. I usually carry several.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #5

On my fifth wheel I connect my potable water hose straight to the city water connection on the trailer, and I use my pressure regulator at the parks spigot. I also carry extra hose washers, never know when they will leak or go missing.

Spence
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
The city fill valve is normally below the tanks and will leak if the check valve does not seal. Water pump also pressurizes the system. It is not difficult or expensive to change, most RV stores will carry. If your fill valve has a screen, you may have to remove the screen to get to the check valve toggle....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #7

I fought the same problem for several years. Tried several different hoses and went through dozens of new washers. Nothing helped. Since my electrical connector is directly beneath the water connection (really dumb design), I finally bought one of those angle adaptors just to get the drip away from the electric. That was a year ago and I haven't had a leak since. I guess that the weight of the hose pulling down on the connector was causing it to leak.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #8

Great ideas. Thank you all. When I get back home from the current trip I'll take a look at all of these. I really want to get this problem licked. I'm anal retentive about this sort of thing and it is driving me nuts
smasiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #9

Mine used to leak all the time too. I fiund that carrfully tighting it with pliers stopped it from leaking. That's assuming the female end coming from your Rv is metal.
Giant Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My freshwater input has a shutoff valve and I have trouble with it leaking around the lever, just haven't replaced it yet.

I have one of the Camco blue in-line water filters and they are notorious for leaking!

Other than that it's usually just a matter of replacing the washers on a regular basis. I discovered that the rubber washers seal much better than the plastic ones.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #11

You were a tad unclear in your description of the leak.
Does it leak all the time that the system is pressurized by you pump?
Or
Does it leak when the city water hose is pressurized?

For the first, it is in the city water connection fitting and as another said, it is probably just some thing in the check valve. These are cheap to buy and usually easy to replace.

For the later, it is probably just the gasket. Get a handful at a big box and replace them any time you think of it.

No matter what gasket I use or what the first adapter is, mine still drips if I don't snug it up with a pair of pliers.

Matt
Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #12

smasiello
IF your city water entry is one like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/320878279218?lpid=82,
or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390550202609?lpid=82,
and IF your leak is where the hose connects, you may have to replace the entire Shurflo City Water Inlet, since the "special hose washer", (which can be seen in the picture), is not available separately.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miljet View Post
I fought the same problem for several years... finally bought one of those angle adaptors just to get the drip away from the electric. That was a year ago and I haven't had a leak since. I guess that the weight of the hose pulling down on the connector was causing it to leak.

My last TT and my current "A" have similar design shore water connections. Female end in an exterior recessed plate...seems like these things always leak a bit. Mine were not near the shore power, but it would leave streaks on the gelcoat.

For leaks on the RV end of the hose...the angled stub adapter mentioned above (in metal not plastic) was my second cure after new washers. I picked one in metal because the 3rd cure is to gently use pliers or channel locks to make everthing snug.

The final cure I am about to try is high quality metal quick connects so the washers do not take a beating on and off over and over.

And another thing I found was that I ALWAYS use a washer with a screen at the spigot, because I kept finding an amount of sand or similar small stones in the screen when we disconnected...so, the screen is between the spigot and pressure regulator. Don't know why there is stones in the water sometimes, but better safe than sorry.

Hmmm, reviewing my post - I must be a bit OCD about these type things, like the OP.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #14

I would also look at the male end of the hose and see if it is damaged and preventing a proper tight seal. The hose fittings are typically very thin metal and can easily be damaged. Have you tried another hose?

I very much doubt the inlet fitting requires replacement unless it's gotten corroded and pitted or has cracked. A new washer with screen may be all you need. The screens can get really gunked up with crud but that shouldn't cause a leak.

An inlet shouldn't leak under normal circumstances. Some of the inlets are all plastic while some are brass (except for the flange). I just bought a brass one to replace the all-plastic currently on our TT. It looks identical and is made by the same company. If yours is all plastic, perhaps the plastic has cracked somewhere? The brass ones will be more durable and withstand higher water pressure.

Dyers has a selection of them here: http://http://www.dyersonline.com/rv-plumbing/fresh-water-connection/water-fill-inlets.html
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote