RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2018, 12:05 AM   #1

Drive like a Trucker

Do you Drive like a Trucker?
Do you know how they drive?
Do you know what red line is.
Do you know what max torque RPM is?
Do you manage your RPM?
Do you manage what gear your in?
Do you notice even a small hill?
Do you manage your speed with traffic?

A trucker knows all these answers and actively pays attention to every aspect of the engine operation.

I drove a charter bus for a few years, about 60,000 and it had a 10 speed manual transmission. I out performed every other bus on the road.

I say this because I think many drivers fail to really drive there rigs. That little hill, no big deal, so I go 40 MPH up it, always did so what.

But if you added just a little speed, killed the overdrive (working the peddle) and got the RPM to max torque, I would bet your still doing 55 or 60.

So are you driving like a trucker?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2018, 04:12 AM   #2

I have to stay aware and plan ahead because my coach has a small engine in it compared to the big engines in the newer chassis'. It's a lot of work and why I try to keep 300 miles as my max distance per day.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:59 AM   #3
WDW

Iíd agree. In general when your Driver In Command DRIVE. I donít allow distractions of music, nefarious conversation, map reading. Too much vehicle to not be focused.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:17 AM   #4

I use my tachometer to set the speed of my coach for best economy. I also drive in the same lane as truckers most of the time for ease of moving through traffic. On those occasions where I encounter grades I move over to the trucker lane and downshift my transmission to increase torque and reduce over exertion of my engine. I try to be extra observant at all times to avoid any unnecessary problems. I am aware of my size and my weight knowing it takes more effort to start and stop.
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:44 AM   #5

Pretty much no to everything on the list. Too much thinking. I do try to stay in the rightmost lane unless I have to pass or let someone merge onto the hiway. At 62 mph I don’t pass too often. I do pay attention to traffic.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:53 AM   #6
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes on everything.. And I drive an under powered gutless gasser..

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:18 AM   #7

Yes and no.
I wonder if truckers know the identity of the the force which is trying to tear your tire apart at 60mph, at 65mph, at 70mph, and at 75mph?
I wonder how many drivers of large motorhomes know exactly why some instructors say that you should immediately "step on the gas" whenever a tire suddenly fails?
I wonder how many drivers of large motorhomes know which is the MOST important safety system that's immediately available to them is, the instant a tire suddenly fails?
The list of questions is long, and it's too much like work to find the answers. Work is NOT what we have in mind when we buy a recreational vehicle. Dilemma
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #8

I was driving a truck way before driving a motorhome. The old truck had a 366 ci gas engine with a 5 & 4 manual transmission. Talk about under powered. You sure had to look ahead at the road to maintain any kind of speed . Then I upgraded to a truck with a 220hp cat and 13 speed transmission . I thought I had so much power.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #9

I drive like a trucker

When I decide to change lanes, I turn my signal on then come over whether there is a car there or not. Drive like a trucker!
Tireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman1 View Post
When I decide to change lanes, I turn my signal on then come over whether there is a car there or not. Drive like a trucker!
Haha, yeah I have had to adopt such a policy after living in Tampa for many years. People would literally speed up and pace you to a point where you couldn't get over. I am mostly driving a F250 or a large vehicle and I got to the point where I put on a turn signal, give a few seconds for said signal to register with the driver in the other lane, then begin to merge. So many times people would attempt to speed up to impede my lane change and lay on the horn as I continued my trajectory into the intended lane; I would smile and wave a big thank you. Most of the people would realize that their BMW was no match for my big work truck and concede the spot. I once had a lady follow me to my exit and get up beside me at a light and gesture wildly for me to roll down my window. When I did, she began screaming and cursing at me until I laid on my horn, at which point I said "it's a signal, NOT a request, please learn the rules of the road!"
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
Do you Drive like a Trucker?
I hope not. I'm sorry but if I see another trucker cut off everyone going 5-10 over the speed limit at the base of a hill I'm going to explode. To top it all off the trucker getting passed absolutely can't slow down just a little to make the pass easier.
I think many truckers are just using the mantra I'm bigger get out of my way.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, because I drive a 32 foot motorhome powered by an 8.1 gasoline engine with an automatic transmission. Total weight just under 20k. Quite alot different than a 65 foot 65k big rig, powered by a low revving, high torque diesel engine with a 16 speed manual trans. I also have no schedule to keep and am not paid by number of miles driven. So no, I share the the road with truckers, but they are on a different mission than me. .
Old 10-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Answers

I see a whole lot of questions on here and experts but no answers?
markarbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I hope not. I'm sorry but if I see another trucker cut off everyone going 5-10 over the speed limit at the base of a hill I'm going to explode. To top it all off the trucker getting passed absolutely can't slow down just a little to make the pass easier.
I think many truckers are just using the mantra I'm bigger get out of my way.

The truckers today are not the truckers of yesteryear. the old ones were truly the "Kings of the Road" much different today, We run 70 mph when traffic and road conditions allow, so we spend our day passing these folks, most are texting or talking on the phone, swerving out of their lane often, and will spend miles trying to pass another rig. We're on our 8th class A so we have been out there long enough to see the changes, and stay off of the CB for sure unless you want to learn new ways to use foul language

cinitall is offline   Reply With Quote