Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2017, 07:33 PM   #1

Driving Class A alone...

So this is my first time that I am going to be driving a long distance for me alone... My wife is going to be about 4 hrs behind me in the car. Kinda nervous about it. Not really about the driving part but parking at the campground etc is more of the concern.... Any thoughts 39ft class a dp

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsta View Post
So this is my first time that I am going to be driving a long distance for me alone... My wife is going to be about 4 hrs behind me in the car. Kinda nervous about it. Not really about the driving part but parking at the campground etc is more of the concern.... Any thoughts 39ft class a dp

You should be fine. I have done the same thing many times but I am pretty much on my own for parking regardless. If you have a pull thru site even easier. Just take it slow, stop and get out to look if you feel uncomfortable.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #3

Camp host will help you but take your time. It is better to get out and look twice than hit something once
Old 08-15-2017, 07:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Are you just concerned about getting someone to help you back into spots? You can virtually always get someone to spot for you.

When we were beginning, we were never at a loss for people willing to help -- sometimes more than we wanted
Old 08-15-2017, 07:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I drive by myself all the time. Wife follows after she gets done teaching 1st and 2nd graders. We usually limit our travel to no more than 350 miles or less from home. I have dinner waiting for her when she arrives. I use the GOAL method to parking in my 44 MH with Tag Axle. That is Get Out And Look. Decide where my benchmarks are and the spots I want to hit. If I miss them, I don't force a bad position, I start over. Also, after two or three attempts, most of the campground will be out there to help you. Accept their help or not is your choice.
Dreamer1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
My biggest concern when driving my 40-footer solo is the right side blind spot when making a left turn. If the roads are perpendicular then you can see out the side door. But if the road intersects at an angle of 45 degrees, you can't see oncoming traffic at all - even with a side view camera. You have to edge out very slowly, sound your horn, and then get to a point where you can see the traffic in your mirror. NO FUN!

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #7

It is an easy drive from Greensboro NC to givhans state park near Charleston.... Planning in leaving Friday around 1 and going to Charlotte and then head down...
Old 08-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I've done this a few times. To me, the key to tight maneuvering by myself is to TAKE MY TIME. I move slowly, and I stop and get out and look if I'm not sure exactly what's happening at all four corners.

One of the biggest dangers, in my opinion, is well-meaning neighbors who come to help and start trying to direct me. I know they're just trying to be helpful. but I've no clue how knowledgeable or skilled they are at directing a 35' motorhome, and whether they understand basic concepts like how a motorhome pivots on the rear axle which is nowhere near the rear of the coach. So I completely ignore -- as politely as possible -- these volunteers while doing what I need to do to keep track of where my vehicle is.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #9

Get out and look
Make full steer maneuvers
Reverse slow then slower
Get out and look some more

Take your time you can do it
Old 08-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #10

I just have no idea what to expect at campground... I am going to look it up on Google Earth... Most campgrounds have pictures of the site but this one does not....
Old 08-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #11

The full steer is good advice... I am thinking 85 to 77 then to 26 is the best route... Little risky going to Charlotte bc of accidents and such but I believe easier than going to flourance and then 95
Old 08-15-2017, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:
I just have no idea what to expect at campground... I am going to look it up on Google Earth... Most campgrounds have pictures of the site but this one does not....

Google earth is a good idea. I use it all the time to check out my route and how a campground is laid out. Also gives you an idea of the trees for satellite reception.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:55 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I learned to drive without anyones help so now it's no problem for me even with a 45' rig. Late DW was afraid to help me and never did.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:34 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm scared having help honestly!
Solo for over 4 years in a 45' DP.
REMEMBER, You can't see barbed wire fences in a camera! If in doubt get out & look yourself! Happy motoring without the extra input.
You will surprise yourself!

Jackstraw54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a