Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #127

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassalley52 View Post
Mine performed best on the Autostrada and the Autobahn!
I've read many an account of driving on the autobahn at 200+ MPH. I wonder how they manage that, if speed kills. Our freeways are a direct descendant of the autobahn, so why are their roads safe at such high speeds and ours are not? Of course slower traffic is strictly held to the right lanes.

Speedy, efficient travel is the very essence of freedom. If you insist on traveling at a slow speed, there are many two lane roads that would accommodate your pace.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #128

German driving laws are much much stricter than in the US. Driver training is actual training and contrary to what most people believe...there are plenty of fatal crashes on the autobahn.

The simplistic answers are the foolish ones. Speed does not always kill all by itself. Inattention does not always kill by itself. But combine the two, or any of the hundreds of other factors, and you have a problem.

Law enforcement just can't win...it is either "Why are you worried about me speeding...should you not be out catching real criminals?" Or "I never see a cop when this guy is speeding by me." "I want you to send an officer out here to write tickets for people speeding in front of my house."

Old 09-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #129

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The autobahn is KPH? Just sayin'
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #130

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
The autobahn is KPH? Just sayin'
I converted. It would be 330kph
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #131

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
GOLDWINGER2, If you want a deserted highway, try I-8 on Christmas morning between Gila Bend and Yuma.
Too far from me, but I do cut through Gila Bend when I want to avoid Phoenix traffic. I have little spot near me that I use when I get the itch for some non-commuting speeding.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #132

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well speaking of the speed we drive our RV, and since the rally is in Virginia, I will pass along that if you are towing in Virginia, the maximim speed is 55. I just double-checked to make sure and it is still the law. Though it is seldom enforced. I understand from my police officer friend that the law is usually used to tack on another violation if you are involved in an accident. That sounds like Virginia.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #133

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Seetheusa, that speed limit is only in certain areas and only on 2 interstate highways that I know of. I-10 west of Kerrville to somewhere east of El Paso and I-20 from the junction of I-10 and I-20 to just west of Monahans. All other highways the speed limit is 70 for all vehicles effective September 1st.
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #134

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
OK, I don't mind admitting that I am still very new to RVs. I just got my 34 foot motor home and have only driven it a few times. I'm not yet really used to driving it long distances yet. I'm still getting used to the feel of it and carefully making wide turns in slow traffic as well as handling it on faster roads. For this reason I drive it a little slower allowing me a little more reaction time, however, I also know that driving to slow can be a hazard too. I try to keep up with the flow of traffic but I want to learn how to safely drive it! I don't want to learn the hard way by possibly hurting someone or causing damage!! I've decided to take a few shorter weekend trips before I embark on longer ones. I try to let faster drivers pass me no matter what they are driving. I will get over or use turn outs to let people pass whenever possible. I'm sure once I feel more confident and get good at driving it I will drive a little faster but my motor home is a 1990 and I don't want to push it. I'm sure newer rigs can probably safely drive faster while older ones should go a little slower. I'm certain there is a difference between driving truck Chassis (class C) and bus Chassis (class A) and pulling trailer or a 5th wheel is different too. Of course weather conditions, road conditions, wind, traffic, and day or night driving all factor in to how fast one can safely drive. Just remember, everyone had to learn once.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #135

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tyler6357---sounds like you are doing just fine to me---keep it----very sensible.

You describe driving so as not to cause concern for any other driver on the road with you---if we all did then---nothing to talk about.

Good for you.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
I try to let faster drivers pass me no matter what they are driving. I will get over or use turn outs to let people pass whenever possible. .
I too think it sounds like you're doing just fine learning how to handle your rig. What you outline above is the bottom line for me too. I don't want people on my toad's bumper plus I don't want to get in the way of them doing what they have to do nor do I want them to form negative feelings about RVers... so I pull over/turn out often if being followed.

I don't worry a lot about keeping up with the flow of traffic. I drive a speed which I'm comfortable with and let others pass but refuse to drive at speeds dictated by others.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #137

Even if you put the safety issue on the side. Motorhomes do not like to go fast and they show their displeasure with high speeds by giving you bad MPGs
Old 09-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #138

Does it help if I just type slower?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #139

Heres an update....coming out of El Paso on I-10 the speed limit is now posted at 80 MPH for cars, and 70 MPH for trucks. From El Paso to Ft Stockton we counted over 8 Tractor Trailers pulled over, and about 24 to 25 cars pulled over. We watch TXCN News and the news story they reported was from the Texas Department of Public Safety. DPS says that the new speel limit is only on designated highways. DPS also states that they are pulling vehicle over for speeding. The you drive a car over 80, or a tractor trailer over 70 you will be stopped. The DPS Officer that was interviewed said 80 is 80, and 70 is 70 and that is what it means.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #140

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
But, 90 is the new 80